Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Forum Member

new to this forum: basic pentax compatibility question

hey so when i bought my k-x about a month ago i was under the assumption only pentax lenes could be used. just browsing this forum i see shots taken when sigma lenes. i am really interested in investing in a wide angle lens. how can sigma or other brand lenes be used on a pentax body? does sigma sell certain lenes with the same the mounting style or does some kind of adaption ring (sorry dont know the official term here) need to be used? how does this effect AF and the like?

and help would be super! thanks guys! look forward to learning more about my equipment from all you knowledgable pentax shooters!

01-16-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax uses K-mount lenses. Sigma produces some, but not all of its current lineup in K-mount.

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M-42 lenses can be used with an adapter.

M42 lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
01-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can't use a Nikon or Canon lens on a Pentax K body, but Sigma and Tamron are third-party makers which have lenses produced in all major mounts. So, for instance, if you are interested in a UWA lens, you can get either a Sigma 10-20mm or a Tamron 10-24mm in Pentax mount.
01-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As others mention, any "K mount" lens can be used without an adapter. Companies that have made these lenses (or still do) include Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, Voigtlander and Samyang (under a lot of different names). There may be others out there as well. Sigma and Tamron have auto focus on their lenses, but most of the others will not have auto focus.

Older screw mount lenses need an adapter to work, but work fine with one.