Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sigma 28-105mm F4-5.6 UC-II lens review

This is my first lens review. It's not a formal review by any means, and I'm likely to have missed something so feel free to ask questions and I'll be happy to clarify or add more info.

Pros: 28mm-105mm is a much more useful zoom range for walking around than the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my K-x.

Cons: Not sharp at all, slow, heavy, focus ring has very short throw, and won't focus close, and so much more.

A friend bought me the Sigma lens many years ago when I was sporting a K1000. He figured it was a good carry-around zoom, and if I upgraded later I'd have autofocus. So it was a nice gift... but on the K1000, in full manual mode, the very very short throw of the focus ring made it very difficult to dial in focus correctly. So I sat on the lens until just recently, when I acquired my K-x.

Now I've had a chance to compare the Sigma against the kit lens, and I must say, there's no comparison. The kit (18-55mm) lens beats the Sigma hands down. The sigma has a lot of problems, but the unforgivable one is sharpness. It has none. At all. The next worst would be the complete lack of contrast, and the the following would be the flat boring colors. That, and the Sigma is heavy, slower, and the minimum focus distance is around 12 inches (the kit lens is around 4).

Now granted, I haven't run a full gamut of tests. Basically I set my K-x to aperture priority, set the lens wide open, and took some shots. I've included crops of a couple test shots taken today. The red ball is 18mm for the pentax and 28mm for the sigma. The tiki torch is f5.6 (wide open for both lenses), zoomed in about half way. (again, not scientific, just real-world use)

I really think the pics speak for themselves here.

Charles

Attached Images

03-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #2

Thanks for this review ChopperCharles! I feel the same although my copy is a tad bit sharper. The kit lens is definitely better, but this is a cheap walk around lens that gives you some range on a budget. I will be giving this to a friend now since I opened the world to Pentax to him and also I've saved up and moved on to big league glass.
03-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Cheap is right, I can't even get rid of it for $50. For a cheap(er) walk-around with a similar range, I ended up with a Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, which is a really awesome lens. Prob not in the same league as your $1000 plus f2.8 lenses, but I'm happy with it. It's MILES better than the Sigma and I rarely ever take out the 18-55mm kit lens anymore.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 12-20-2012 at 11:38 AM.
03-02-2011, 08:17 AM   #4

I have an old Sigma dc18-125 / 3.5-5.6 with which I replaced the kit dal 18-55/3,5-5, 6, I am satisfied, in combination with Hama plc M72 (IV) is better for walking than the kit lens with the same PLC, use the KX

03-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #5

I actually picked up the DA* lenses used for around $600-700 so well expensive I figure I can put them to good use and if I need to sell them I can recoup most of the cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Cheap is right, I can't even get rid of it for $50. For a cheap(er) walk-around with a similar range, I ended up with a Tamron 32-75mm f2.8, which is a really awesome lens. Prob not in the same league as your $1000 plus f2.8 lenses, but I'm happy with it. It's MILES better than the Sigma and I rarely ever take out the 18-55mm kit lens anymore.