Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Older lens question

Hi guys
Any chance somebody can tell me if those lenses have a Ricon pin?
I'm about to purchase a K-r and really don't wanna damage it with the wrong lens
Thank you

Attached Images

01-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see a Ricoh pin on any of those. But you should do a search on Ricoh pin and check yourself. There are a lot of threads in this forum with photos. If you do have a lens with one they are fairly easy to remove, just make sure you a have a good screwdriver that fits so you don't damage the screws.
01-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Those all look like auto focus lenses, they would not have the pin. Looks like the middle one is a Pentax FA-J lens.
01-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #4

Yep, all autofocus and no Ricoh pin. The pin would be where the screw drive slot is located on these lenses.

01-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys. The first one is Pentax 28-80, second is a Tamron 70-310 and the last one is a Magnicon 70-210. I got them together with MZ-7 and now getting rid of my D-80, so I can get me a K-r. I'd like to do both - film and digital and moving to Pentax seems like a very good idea - one set of lenses for both cameras.
01-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
Yep, all autofocus and no Ricoh pin. The pin would be where the screw drive slot is located on these lenses.
Just a little correction - sorry Tom!

The Ricoh pin would actually be just about diametrically opposite the red dot, rather than in the AF screw psition. The confusion may have arisen because the Ricoh pin lodges in the camera's AF aperture as the lens is mounted.

Anyway, we don't want to mislead anyone about the dreaded Ricoh pin!
01-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

And to save anyone further time:

If it is a Pentax, it is not going to have a "Ricoh pin." So, if it is a Pentax-brand lens, no worries.

Ricoh-branded lenses are most likely to have one, although there are many Ricoh lenses which do not. 3rd party -- non-Camera-manufacturing lens makers -- like Tamron, Sigma, or Magnicon or others could possibly have a Ricoh pin, but the probability falls a little.

Best for folks to become familiar with the contacts on their existing Pentax DSLR and Pentax lenses, then when something is out-of-the-ordinary, it won't be a surprise.