Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50-135mm would be great if you don't mind the weight. otherwise, the 40mm + 70mm combo is also great.

01-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I am going to stick my neck way out of my shell here, and I truly mean no offense to anyone, do you guys travel for fun and to see the sights or to take pictures?

My take on what kevins is saying is that he wants to travel light, enjoy the trip and take some pictures. Toting a case full of lenses is not the way to do any of that. Taking a nice light multipurpose lens and maybe one other for those few special shots is about this old guy can handle. That second lens would stay on the boat, in the car or motel room most of the time.
The wife and I travel to relax and unwind. We both work and need the 'get away'. Pictures are part of this, not the primary reason. Wifey will put up with a certain amount of fiddling for pictures, but this is her vacation too and I need to take that (and her) into consideration. The 18-250 fills the bill, fast to frame a shot compared to changing primes and zooming with the feet. The IQ is good enough. I'm shooting for memories, the occasional 8 by 10, slide shows for friends, etc. I'm not shooting for Nat Geo. Having said that, I do take a bunch of lenses with me. Like you say, most are left on the boat most of the time. I have a larger bag that I carry on the airplane (and leave on the boat) and a small bag that will hold a K-R, an 18-250 and one other lens that I carry on the island. If I've been to an island before, and there is a special shot that I know I want, I will bring a 10-20mm or the 10-17mm (or whatever lens) for that particular shot. I realize that I am sharing the trip with another and I can not monopolize all the activity time, and I do not wish to. To me, this is what a travel lens is all about, capture the memory in reasonable quality without sacrificing the rest of the vacation to get 'The Shot'. I guess I'm just not a 'real' photographer.
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I am going to stick my neck way out of my shell here, and I truly mean no offense to anyone, do you guys travel for fun and to see the sights or to take pictures?

My take on what kevins is saying is that he wants to travel light, enjoy the trip and take some pictures. Toting a case full of lenses is not the way to do any of that. Taking a nice light multipurpose lens and maybe one other for those few special shots is about this old guy can handle. That second lens would stay on the boat, in the car or motel room most of the time.

I hate lens changing... especially when i'm not sitting down, it get all clunky...

The best way is a hyperzoom, you can't beat these things in bright day light, yeah they're soft, more distortion at either end, but you really need that instant zoom when you're just walking chilling.

however, in low light settings, you'll need a pair. 28-75 and 75-200 f/2.8 (aka the pair that costs more than my own nuts). I just can't imagine changing lens at night though haha.

For me I'll just carry 1-2 lens with me, look i'm already lugging around a DSLR, a small messenger bag is not gonna kill me, so it's just fine, if I want to walk around freely I carry my P&S lol. As small as they make DSLR these days, the lens still is the size of a building, there's really no "walk around freely with a DSLR". maybe a NEX or PL1 with their pancake, but i got either of those, so lugging around my DSLR is the best alternative.
01-18-2011, 05:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My own walkaround lenses are the Sigma 17-70 and Pentax 18-55 WR, depending on the conditions. For someone traveling a lot and wanting a good lens which will prevent too much lens changing, I will suggest the new Pentax 18-135 WR. I'm surprised no one has so far...

01-18-2011, 06:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought the new Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL IF DC WR recently and it is my new fave walk around lens. I've used it in snow and frigid cold and no problems and fast auto focus as well.
01-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I've been walking around Chinatown and North Beach in San Narcisco all day today. My walkaround lenses on narrow streets? My new Tamron SP 10-24, and my lens-of-the-day, an old Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 (glued to a Pentax body cap). If it were evening, I walk around with a Nikkor 85/2 and Vivitar-Komine 24/2. Yesterday I was walking around the kids' house with that 24/2 and my FA50/1.4. The previous day, I walked around coastal Pacifica and Half Moon Bay with the DA18-250 and a Macro-Takumar 50/4 (1:1). The right walkaround lens depends on where and when you're walking, and how comfortable you are. Some places, my walkaround would be a P&S.