Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2007, 07:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Takumar 55mm f/2.2

I just bought a Pentax screw mount to K mount adapter to try out the two really old screw mount lenses that I got with the Pentax S. I bought this just to mess around with. I must admit, I am rather surprised at the results. Mind you, there is a kick to using 50 year old lenses on a modern DSLR that I hadn't thought about before lol. Still haven't figured out how to use fully manual lenses with the built in metering. For this quick test, I just went manual, changing the shutter speed and aperture on lens. The aperture just showed "F--" in the LCD. I then shot a test shot and looked at the histogram to change my settings. I am sure there is a better way. Hmm...maybe I should wipe the dust off of one of my handheld light meters. Talk about going retro.

New meets old (taken with a Sony H5). K10D with Takumar 55mm f/2.2.

Because it is raining cats and dogs outside, I thought it appropriate to use a toy cat. Hand held at f2.2 at 1/20 of a second in manual mode (ISO 100).

This one was taken handheld at f2.2 at 1/30th of a second in manual mode (ISO 100)

10-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Use Av mode. Focus wide open, then spin your aperture down while watching shutter speed and DOF. You may need to give your exposure an EV boost.

Welcome to the Takumar addiction.
10-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
rdc

To meter with old K mount lenses put the camera in "M" and push the green button, the camera will stop down the lens take a reading and set the shutter speed.

To meter with screw mount lenses put the camera in Av and simply set the apature on the lens to where you want it to be (if your lens has an A-M slider make sure it is in M so that it actually stops down) and your camera will meter the light actually coming into the camera. I find it easiest to focus with the lens wide open and then stop down, meter and shoot, the dimming of the viewfinder at smaler f-stops makes focusing difficult.

Edit: Thats what I love about this forum....people are so quick to help that someone already answered while I was typing my response.
10-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats Chako,

After finally receiving my first Super Takumar a week ago I can hardly wait until I get more.

Oh in my opinion your Sony H5 didn't do a good job focusing

10-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That is my fault and not the equipment. I was on the edge of close focus (not in macro mode), and I leaned a little too much in just enough to fuzz up the image a little.

The Sony H5 is a fantastic camera and it takes awesome photos...but like everything else...you have to use it right lol.

Thanks for the tips. I will be sure to try that out the next time.
10-07-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Welcome to the Takumar addiction.
I'm learning this is going to be a long slippery slope.

I just received my 2nd Super-Takumar yesterday. A 135mm f3.5 that I picked up for about $15.00. Looks like it's going to be a really sharp lens.
10-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Haha soon once you realize that Takumars are in short supply over ebay, the M42 addiction will extend to the CZJs and those Made in the USSR.

=P (You'll be equally surprised)
10-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I'm learning this is going to be a long slippery slope.

I just received my 2nd Super-Takumar yesterday. A 135mm f3.5 that I picked up for about $15.00. Looks like it's going to be a really sharp lens.
Be careful if you get a 105/2.8. You may cut yourself.