Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Anyone know a good repairman?

Hello All,

I have Takumar- A 70-200mm f/4 lens that is very loose. The slightest tilt downwards makes it fully extend! Is this problem fixable? If so, does anyone know where to send it? All of the repair shops I've found don't service this particular lens! I didn't pay much for lens, only $10 ($69 for international shipping). I really don't like the idea of paying that much for shipping and not being able to use it! That's what my motivation is for having it fixed, and not just replacing it!

01-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
try View Profile: EricTn - PentaxForums.com he does some great work with film era stuff
01-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Eric's website is here ---> Home

I just sent a lens to him for a free repair estimate.

Tim
01-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine has been like that since my parents gave it to me for my birthday in about 1990. The focus doesn't have any damping either, almost like an AF lens. Often sellers will describe this lens as unusual or broken. I think it's just the way they were made.

On the SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f4, there are screws under the rubber focus grip that can be tightened to reduce "zoom creep". I haven't looked at the Takumar; it's kind of semi-retired now.

01-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The drag of these old style zooms depends entirely on the grease being applied. I am afraid you just have to live with it, and not that awful in practice. Having the lens relube with heavier grease will easily cost many times what the lens worths.
01-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
The drag of these old style zooms depends entirely on the grease being applied. I am afraid you just have to live with it, and not that awful in practice. Having the lens relube with heavier grease will easily cost many times what the lens worths.
You can email Eric and he will be happy to provide some guidance as to potential cost or if it is worth sending in for an estimate.

Tim
01-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi Jimio,
I have 2 of Tak -A Zoom 28~80 and they are both loose. But they do the job OK. The older M - metal bodied ones were much more damped and easier/nicer to use.
Maybe it was the fashion or maybe they were getting ready for AF & AZ at the time of these lenses
The difficulty with DIY repair is the risk of consequential damage, lost parts , fibers getting inside the glass , and also getting back to infinity focus calibration. - Not to be taken lightly
01-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Eric is the man! He just did a service on two of my lenses. Great work, fast and reasonable. He knows Pentax.

01-19-2011, 12:39 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I've got that 70-200 also, it was barely used when I got it and it is also loose. Seems to be just the way they are, I use it at 200mm for its close focus ability, other than that it is useless to me.