Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
Indeed; are any of the DA lenses even a decade old yet?

On the other hand, in order to stop a Takumar lens from working you'd probably quite literally have to throw it as hard as you could against a brick wall. Maybe more than once.
I won't argue with that, other than perhaps an oiled diaphragm. It would more likely take an 8 pound sledge hammer to really destroy a Takumar.

01-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm not sure I see too much of a market for a 50mm 1.7 lens only at $135. For that price, there is often a K1000 attached.
Well, my K1000 came with a M 50mm 2.0, not an A 50mm 1.7, and the A is a far superior lens IMO. About a year ago the A version was going for over $100 easy.
01-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Where are you seeing the prices you quote?

I've been doing a good bit of dealing in Pentax MF lenses as of late and I can't agree with your observations. Lenses have gone modestly up in price lately, mostly because people are "discovering" Pentax bodies again and in turn creating a seller's market for good Pentax legacy glass.

I dunnow, maybe some folks are quick dumping their old glass in a rush to raise cash for a K-5 ... but I don't think it's market-wide.
I guess that's my point. 6 months ago I saw exactly that, in fact I started a thread about why prices were going up so high because at the time I was in the market to buy some old glass. Now the prices I'm seeing on completed auctions on EBay are definitely lower, almost by half.

I guess I'm following the old adage, buy high, sell low

Last edited by GregK8; 01-20-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Complete a thought
01-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

Your proof of this would be...... what?

It’s reality with any modern plastic consumer electronics item. Unfortunately today’s Pentax digital bodies/lenses fall into that category.

If you use it it will break, not much anyone can do about it’s just a fact of life. I’d love to say my Pioneer Elite plasma TV will last 10 years, but I’m not holding my breath.

Phil.

01-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Itís reality with any modern plastic consumer electronics item. Unfortunately todayís Pentax digital bodies/lenses fall into that category.

If you use it it will break, not much anyone can do about itís just a fact of life. Iíd love to say my Pioneer Elite plasma TV will last 10 years, but Iím not holding my breath.

Phil.
I agree with you up to a point. The more fancy mechanical and electronic parts there are in an object, the more things have the opportunity to fail. On the other hand, unless you actually physically break the optical components or the housing of a DA AF lens, the worst that could happen to it is it becomes a MF lens. Well, unless you kill the auto aperture, then you might be shit out of luck unless you like shooting wide open.