Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 04:33 AM   #1

Adaptall function and negatives?

Done a bunch of research so I understand what adaptall 2 is and PK and PK/A adapter differences. I also know they have an AD adapter for the older AD lenses and most SP are AD2. But didn't find much about AD so I am wondering:

Is an AD lens + AD adapter about the same as an AD2 lens + PK adapter in functionality? What are the downsides? I figure the AD lens would be bulkier/heavier, not as well coated... what else? Are there any upsides to the AD lens instead of an AD2 besides them being less desirable/cheaper?

Thanks.

01-19-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi

I think all Tamron Adaptall lenses will work fine with both versions. Adaptall 2 is only an improvement/evolution from the original Adaptall auto/manual aperture mechanism, perhaps more reliable and durable (Adaptall V1 was prone to some malfunction, if I remember correctly; all my Tamron KA adapters are v2 so can't help much more than that). With the simpler Adaptall K mount adapter, there's no such problems as you are using a lens similar to a K or M Pentax mount.
01-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, thanks. Can anyone else confirm that I can buy a PK for adaptall2, and use it with adaptall standard lenses? That sounds good.

Also tell me why or why not to avoid the adaptall standard lenses The AD2 are pretty inexpensive as is but I am curious.
01-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Yes, you can use the manual PK Adaptall-2 adapter for the earlier Adaptall lenses. The original Adaptall mount notably had quality issues, and I would always go for Adaptall-2 mounts.

As regards Adaptall (1973-78 designs) vs. Adaptall-2 lenses (1979 - 1990+ designs), I believe that the latter - generally speking, and whether SP or not - are more advanced designs, benefiting from advances in computer-assisted design, and thus - again generally speaking - somewat superior in optical performance. This is not to say that Adaptall lenses are necessarlily "bad", but you should do a little search for reviews for each individual type that might have your interest - (obviously starting at the third partly lens reviews in this Forum).

B.R. / Stone G.

01-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have both PK and PKA adapters (from both "era's")that I swap from les to lens that I have kit,
difference between 2 is (A) prefix has lens information contacts where as
with PK adapter I have, one's required to set apeture via ring and "green button"
in my particular case, PKA's are a little newer, so they fit a little better, tighter you
might say, because of less overall wear. As far as mounting other wise, are virtually identical and have no difference's in mounting.

As far as advoiding standard adaptall lens, dont want to go there really
regarding SP series, about all I can say is, when those things hit the market, they
were going head to head with nikon and pentax(at its appex). with that design/marketing methodolgy in mind,
the competition brought out the best of all of them, Tamron being the "little guy" certainly went "toe to toe" with them and
made each manufactuer better because of that high level of competition.
01-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kitty Quote
Also tell me why or why not to avoid the adaptall standard lenses
If you are after some info on Tamron adaptall lenses, check this out:

adaptall-2.org

Last edited by Manel Brand; 01-19-2011 at 11:19 AM.
01-19-2011, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Ok, thanks. Can anyone else confirm that I can buy a PK for adaptall2, and use it with adaptall standard lenses? That sounds good.

Also tell me why or why not to avoid the adaptall standard lenses The AD2 are pretty inexpensive as is but I am curious.
For the Adaptall PK/M mount, the earlier Adaptall lenses are more versatile than the Adaptall-2 lenses with PK/M mount. An Adaptall-2 lens with a PK/M mount is limited to shooting in M mode with the Green button to set the metering prior to releasing the shutter. You can also shoot in Av mode but wide open aperture only. Adaptall lenses with A/M switch on the lens can shoot in M mode with the Green Button for metering and can shoot in Av mode at all aperture range by toggling the switch prior to releasing the shutter to meter for the user set aperture value.

If I can get the Adaptall prime lenses for a song, I will most likely get them. My CW-28, 28mm f2.8 lens is very good imo, and I don't doubt others are just as good.

Thanks,
01-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I shoot in Av mode with my adaptall II lenses by using an M42 mount on them

01-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I don't understand the benefits and downsides to this. Never heard of this as an option. So it does AE this way? Do you have to use a second adapter? Is it hard to find the adapter(s)?
01-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I forgot about the m42 Adaptall mount, probably because I don't have one. I bought a third party Adaptall mount from China and with it I can shoot in Av mode with any Adaptall lenses, and contrary to various threads in the forums dissing these third party adapters, it works as advertised.

Thanks,
01-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #11

Original Poster
I am confused, so any adapter I get will let me shoot in Av mode? But no AE, right? (Unless I get the expensive PK/A, I know that works but has downsides.)
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't understand the benefits and downsides to this. Never heard of this as an option. So it does AE this way? Do you have to use a second adapter? Is it hard to find the adapter(s)?
Tamron made Adaptall mounts for screw mount camera bodies and yes, in order to use the m42 mount Lowell has, you will need an m42 to PK adapter to mount it on your Pentax DSLR. I have seen a few of these mounts come up for sale on the Marketplace and eBay, but a third party Adaptall mount you find on eBay is more likely a cheaper option and it's very solidly built.

Thanks,
01-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Site Supporter

The Adaptall-2 M42 mount lacks an A/M switch and requires modification before it can be used with most M42/K-mount adapters. Without modification the lens will shoot wide open regardless of aperture setting or camera exposure mode. As per the comments above, I would suggest getting the more common and less expensive P/K mount. I own both the P/K and P/KA and have found that the P/KA is prone to mechanical and alignment "issues". Definitely not worth the extra money in my opinion.

For the K-r, I would suggest shooting in M mode with "green button" metering for all non-A contact lenses. That would include the Tamron P/K adapter as well as all adapted screw mount, Pentax-K, and Pentax-M series. M mode will get you consistent exposure. With Av mode your mileage may vary. This advice is in your user manual, but is not particularly easy to find or interpret.

Steve

(Also owns the M42 Adaptall-2 mount...bare basics, that one!)
01-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yeah I plan to get the PK and shoot in M mode with the green button. I don't understand about shooting in Av mode with a manual exposure lens but that may be more than I need to know, especially since you said YMMV.
01-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Yeah I plan to get the PK and shoot in M mode with the green button. I don't understand about shooting in Av mode with a manual exposure lens but that may be more than I need to know, especially since you said YMMV.
The way it works with a M42 lens is to move the Auto/Manual switch on the side of the lens to Manual. This sets the lens to always be stopped down. In Av mode, the camera is none the wiser to the actual aperture and assumes that the lens is wide open. As a result, the appropriate shutter speed should be set automatically according to the amount of light reaching the meter.

That is the theory anyway. In reality, exposure is often inaccurate in that mode with your K-r due to how the metering works in that mode. This was a huge problem with the older Pentax dSLRs (K10D, K20D, and certain other models) in ALL modes and was noted in the lens compatibility matrix in the owners manual for those cameras. There are many theories as to the cause and possible solutions and I will refrain from adding my own to the stack. It is enough to say that those of us with the affected bodies meter, expose, chimp, and fudge until we are happy with the result. In practice, it is not that bad, but still inconvenient. To be fair to Pentax, there are similar issues with stop-down metering for other brand dSLR of the same vintage too.

With the K5 and newer bodies, Pentax corrected the issue such that if a non-A contact lens is detected and the camera is in M mode, the camera uses a special stopped down metering functionality that provides much more consistent results. This recommendation is noted in the compatibility matrix in the user manual for those cameras with the old warning remaining in place for other modes.

Steve