Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #1

automatic focus problems 16-45 lens

Help!!]

Hi from sunny Miami Beach.

I am a happy owner of k10d . Just received a new 16-45mm for it. At 16-22 focal length the automatic focus has trouble focusing (flashing icon) when focusing at the far objects, which prevents the camera from taking a picture. If I focus at different points in the distance it will eventually lock the focus.

If I zoom in, it will focus and lock. Focus will work fine even at 16mm if focusing at a closer object.When focusing at certain points in the distance it simply will not lock. Anything above 20-22 there is no problem. Manual focusing works and the camera will beep and confirm the focus.
I am talking about daylight shoots here.

I have no problems with my 18-55mm or 50mm only 16-45mm.

Any help is appreciated, before I send the lens back, if indeed that is the trouble.

10-07-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you can be bothered using this as a fix - mine doesn't do this but I don't like the focus accuracy at 16mm anyway. Get it to focus on a faraway object at 45mm - make a very specific mental note of what that infinite focusing mark is. That's where it needs to be at 16mm. On mine it's about 1mm to the right of the infinity symbol. What the camera thinks is infinity at 16mm is 1mm to the left of the infinity mark...