Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buckeye Quote
So how can I kill this thread?
Not sure that you need to apologize..this is the nature of asking questions in a forum where for all practical purposed you are a stranger.

I think a big difficulty in answering a question in a forum is that unless people know the person's background, expertise etc that it is quite difficult to answer to the level expected. Although personally I have always felt that when people are disappointed with their pictures that they should post their photos so that people can give their opinion a little more objectively.

01-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No need to close the thread.
Let the rest continue the discussion if they're interested...

Just remember that even Photozone aren't the authority on lens characteristics.
01-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
Inactive Account

I'm curious (and my answer before was completely serious), as to what you hope to Improve with a different lens? If you Want the 31mm, Buy it. Asking for opinions on is it a good decision (which is basically what I get from your OP), is a fruitless exercise. There are going to be 3 basic answers.

1. Not worth the price.
2. I'd love to have one but cannot afford it.
3. Buy it because I have one, you won't regret it.

For the hard core legacy users, I'll add a 4th.

4. Get an M42 mount and go Takumar.

You note that the tests at photozone (a site I completely ignore), were done with a K10d. The full frame lenses behave somewhat differently as the camera body models have progressed. It's always been a great lens but with the K5, I'm able to get photos that were near impossible for me, for some reason, on the K10d. I know that isn't going to make any sense to some but that's the way it is or rather was.

01-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Buck, the fact is, most of the people who replied here are clueless MORONS!!!

The correct answer is the 15 Limited, and when a close relative of mine dies and leaves me some money, I'll buy one.

My God--I can't believe I waste my time conversing with some of the people here.

01-19-2011, 08:30 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sharpest? I neverused 31ltd but FA35/2 is an awesome lens too though no longer in production.
01-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Hey Buckeye, I was gonna ask the same question. I do a lot of landscape and some wildlife.. I now have the whole range 10-400 covered in zoom lenses , plus I have 50mm 1.7 that I just love.. so, the next lens I get , I want to be exceptionally sharp. I can use my zooms for everything I need to shoot, the only reason to get a prime would to be to make my great images exceptional. So, worried about my ability to get the images I want, not really, I've been shooting 55 years. Am I impressed by the guys who say, it depends on what you shoot.? not at all, just say "I don't know.' What I'd be looking for would be someone coming on and saying this is what works for me and what I use it for, with a sample image.

There are some great images in the lens reviews, some of which have had an influence on what I might be thinking. It's funny, with my kit lens 18-55, Sigma 70-300, Pentax 10-17, Sigma 120-400 and Pentax 50mm 1.7, I can say without question, I'd take every shot with my 50mm 1.7 if I could set them up. I'm thinking the DA 100 F2.8 macro WR, might be my next choice (I've already ordered the 18-135 WR). All I'm saying is, I know what my best lens is for what I do. I'm surprised how many don't. And I'm even more surprised how many are really defensive about it.

I also find it really annoying , people going on about lenses that aren't available. I'm not going to admit to how much time I've wasted on kijiji and ebay looking for older lenses, but I would say, just for the record, for folks like myself.. save it. If it's not in somebody's catalogue, you're wasting my time. If there would be some reaon for doing that, as in a lens is sooo much better than what's out there now, then for sure, but bringing up lenses that aren't much different from what's for sale now is a complete waste of the buyers time, unless they ask for that. Everybody wants to be an expert, but no one's saying anything.

Last edited by normhead; 01-19-2011 at 08:45 PM.
01-19-2011, 08:38 PM   #22

The much forgotten FA 43 Limited?

01-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think some folk said some very useful things above and it's up to you whether to take it or leave it, but to stay on topic I would say Leica lenses are technically better (and can be adapted quite easily using Leitax mounts for example), in particular Summilux-R 35mm (f1.4) is better than the 31ltd in most situations (see the comparison thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/121458-ultimate-30-35mm-lens.html).

That said, many would prefer the 31ltd for AF, AE, size and weight, not to mention the price.

For the 15mm, the Elmar-R 15/3.5 is meant to be the same as the Pentax 15/3.5 - make by Zeiss. But not so with the Elmarit-R 15/2.8 which I don't know anything about.

In the 50mm focal length, if you have lots of money to burn and don't mind stopdown metering and MF, Summilux-R 50mm E60 can be had on ebay now for $2368 Leica Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 ROM E55 Lens **MINT** (eBay item 290524368298 end time 25-Jan-11 20:32:02 AEDST) : Cameras Photo a bargain price and it is meant to be a killer. Likewise with the Summilux-R 90mm Asph.

But for practical purposes, most of us would not be hampered by the lenses as much as by the skill and the ability to seek out and take awesome shots.

I've had some fantastic equipment and while testing it and playing with it has taught me a lot looking back I should've rather spent that time shooting pictures rather than reading lens reviews and scouting ebay for bargains. But that's me...

As for Pentax brand lenses, I liked 30/2.8 and people swear by 28/2 which would be more useful. 50/1.7 and 50/1.2 both have great reputations. A*85/1.4 is an excellent lens but too long on a dSLR (would've sold mine but started using it on a film body). A*200/4 macro is a top macro lens and if you like 200mm and not into macro, then A*200/2.8 is excellent.

From the current lot DA35ltd is a good one and DA*55 is nice for portrait etc.

But as you've phrased the question, it is a bit too general to really give meaningful answers. Sorry about all the waffle!

Last edited by DanielT74; 01-19-2011 at 09:10 PM.
01-19-2011, 09:16 PM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Buck, the fact is, most of the people who replied here are clueless MORONS!!!

The correct answer is the 15 Limited, and when a close relative of mine dies and leaves me some money, I'll buy one.

My God--I can't believe I waste my time conversing with some of the people here.

I love it!
You say when and not if... sounds like you have one lined up. All the best, and remember who your friends are!
01-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The FA31 is a wonderful lens, no doubt about it, but there are other qualities that are less easy to measure. Personal preference plays large when considering if a lens is good. I sold my FA31 as the look I was getting from the lens just wasn't what I wanted. It's a long shot, but is there someone in your area with one that you can try? If not, even if you did pick up one and decide it's not for you, you could most likely sell it for the same or close to what you paid for it.

Steve
01-19-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

DA 70mm limited
01-20-2011, 03:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The sharpest one I have used is the DA *55.
Correct.
The DA55 is optically the most advanced lens Pentax has issued recently.
01-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Did you also have a read/look at photozones reviews of the other LTD's ?
01-20-2011, 03:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

As far as I can remember, on a test bench, resolution wise, I think the FA43LTD is the best from Pentax. But that's only taking resolution in account. There is also CA to consider, flare resistance, corner light drop-off... An impossible question to answer.
01-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

the best pentax lens is a sigma 17-50

sorry just stirring the pot lmao