Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
50mm SMC f2

So, looking online at lenses I came across the SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 prime lens for £25 ($40), reviewed here SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

I own a KX already with the kit 18-55 and 50-200mm.

Do you think I should bother going for this lens or not?

I understand it's manual etc.

Would it be a decent learning tool for that price? or even at that price is it over priced?

There is also the 50mm smc f1.7 on fleabay which I understand is better, I'll see what price it's at when it's around finishing time and might get that instead.

I'm not too clued up on old lenses (not even sure it would fit on my KX), but from what I gather they generall perform better quality wise(?), so I'm just looking for some guidance/suggestions.

Thanks!

p.s: I'm going to Vegas in April, is there any call for such a lens there? (grand canyon, the strip, lights, sunsets)

Last edited by paul cliff; 01-19-2011 at 06:10 PM.
01-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paul cliff Quote
So, looking online at lenses I came across the SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 prime lens for £25 ($40), reviewed here SMC Pentax-M 50mm F2 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

I own a KX already with the kit 18-55 and 50-200mm.

Do you think I should bother going for this lens or not?

I understand it's manual etc.

Would it be a decent learning tool for that price? or even at that price is it over priced?

There is also the 50mm smc f1.7 on fleabay which I understand is better, I'll see what price it's at when it's around finishing time and might get that instead.

I'm not too clued up on old lenses (not even sure it would fit on my KX), but from what I gather they generall perform better quality wise(?), so I'm just looking for some guidance/suggestions.

Thanks!

p.s: I'm going to Vegas in April, is there any call for such a lens there? (grand canyon, the strip, lights, sunsets)
pentax m 50mm f/2 for 40 is too much, no one wants them, i sold 2 X + another prime and 2 zoom for a mare 50... most people will agree, those 50mm f/2 is about 10 bucks.

Now if you're getting the pentax A version of this lens, it can go 40-50 dollars as it allow you to be in AV mode.

if you're shooting landscape, 50mm on a crop sensor is very narrow (effectively 75mm).

Just stick with the kitlens as your walk around lens, it's actually quite good, the next upgrade to a "walk around" lens is gonna cost ya (300-350)...

my experience from ebay? there's very rare "good price" item, there's alot of sniper out there (specially for lens as they're more on less geeks item), I got sniped so many time it's not even funny, just yesterday there was no bid till about 30sec, and the auction ended with 12 bids, price went from 50-150 (end at 150) lol.

there's not much to learn really, allowing the camera to control the aperture will let you do most if not all type of exposure, not sure what you want to learn, the cake of DSLR is semi auto (AV or TV mode), as long as you know what's going on with the different type of metering, focusing ect.. you should be just fine.
01-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
This is a much better deal.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/129934-sale-p...worldwide.html