Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that sux!

01-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Why the 'No response!!!" from Pentax? Was it out of warranty?
Called their mobile numbers...I think they (Pentax France) would prefer if I left Pentax and went to another brand!!! But really...

Last edited by benjikan; 01-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Called their mobile numbers...I think the would prefer if I left Pentax and went to another brand!!! But really...
LMAO

though at least you have a (not very efficient ) pro point of contact

a less respected user would be lucky to have an email address

I hope they sort it out (and can't believe they shipped it back still broken twats)
01-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Sorry Ben.

So do the doubters believe us NOW!?!

"The Pentax DA* series of high-grade lenses designed exclusively for Pentax digital SLR cameras."

*Purchaser understands that use of the DA* lens is entirely at your own risk. Warranty only valid for one year. Sometimes requires spinning of focus barrel to wake up SDM motor. Pentax is not responsible for intermittent SDM failure, or decentered focus at f/2.8. Purchaser agrees to be bound by the terms of this disclaimer and not hold Pentax liable, nor post negative feedback about the lens on photography forums. All similarities to FA* glass either specific or implied is strictly a coincidence. Purchaser agrees to the statement that "SDM failure is a myth", and further agrees not to compare focus speed to other manufacturers. Shots missed due to the focus speed and/or SDM failure of DA* lenses are entirely the responsibility of the photographer. All rights reserved.

01-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WiseOx Quote
I'll start by saying I'm a Pentax fanboy...and I've got the 16-50, and love it. But, it did fail and is now back from warranty repair and working now.

But honestly Ben, if my livelihood depended on an SDM lens, I think I would have to consider having a backup for each one I owned.

Big fan of your work, btw.
What if the backup fails, too?
01-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsdogwood Quote
Make sure your backup is a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (just be sure it's not one that front/back focuses!)

Pat
01-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm not sure if even Canon and Nikon pro service is good enough to deal with a problem like this that happens the day of the shoot -- at least, not without some delay. This said, this is exactly the scenario where I don't blame anyone who is a working professional for choosing those two brands.

01-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
So do the doubters believe us NOW!?!

Who has ever doubted that the SDM motor of a DA* lens can fail?

The points that are most often debated (in regards to SDM lenses) usually center around the actual probability of failure and/or the merits of accepting the risk of owning an SDM lens.
01-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'm not sure if even Canon and Nikon pro service is good enough to deal with a problem like this that happens the day of the shoot -- at least, not without some delay. This said, this is exactly the scenario where I don't blame anyone who is a working professional for choosing those two brands.
the difference is when you are in a major city (Paris in Ben's case) it's easy to pop out and rent a replacement in the worst case
this is unfortunately not the case with Pentax (though perhaps there is an accommodation at willoughbys in NYC with the Pentax store within a store)

this i think is what makes so many people choose canikon (and hassleblad and phaseone mamiya for that matter)
01-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The truth was spoken years ago - SDM sucks, and the DA*16-50 sucks worst. Get the Canon EF-S 17-55/2.8 instead. Not a Pentax I know but it's the best 2.8 APS standard zoom money can buy. SDM is just dead dead dead. Why keep betting on something with such poor record?
01-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear it, Ben. My advice is to get a Tamron 17-50/2.8 (known-good copy) and wait for them to fix the SDM issues before re-investing in first-party pro zooms. :/
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Sure, I like Pentax. And I also have got this lens - because it is simply a very good one (and is sealed!). But if I were in your position where you not only really need your gear to work but also make a living off of it, I'd leave Pentax and just use Nikon instead. Unfortunately Pentax wouldn't care but still I think it's the better choice.
As long as there is not an official statemnt regarding a 2nd overhauled SDM-series I wouldn't want to risk it.
I just hope mine won't fail eventually.
If I could afford it, I'd own a Nikon D3s...
01-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsdogwood Quote
I think there's a reasonable limit of what you can prepare for. One failure is probably reasonable to expect and prepare for; two, not so much. It certainly depends on the relative cost of preparing for a failure, and what the cost of the failure would be.

Paul
01-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Please forgive the naive questions, but I was wondering, in regard to backups in case of failure:

Is it true that with older model bodies, SDM lenses can revert to screw-drive focusing? Rather than rewarding Pentax for bad lens design by buying more of them, could one perhaps use an old body as a backup -- assuming that screw-drive wouldn't be worse than manual focus for a given shoot, at least in an emergency?

And, why is it that newer bodies can't use screw-drive in the event of SDM failure? Is it simply a firmware disability? Could the company at least salve the wound slightly by patching the firmware so people wouldn't suddenly be left with manual focus when they need AF?

I was going to buy the DA* 50-135 since it gets such rave reviews, but as a hobbyist I simply don't want to deal with this warranty repair nightmare. And I don't want glass that, past its warranty, has lost a feature that accounted for much of its price to begin with.
01-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #30
Veteran Member

This is one reason why Pentax struggles in the pro market. Gear needs to be very reliable...