Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
so in between the two lenses going there, getting fixed/replaced and then sent back....

what will you use?
For my next Harper's BAZAAR shoot on February 1st in Paris will use my 12-24, fixed focal length lenses and perhaps my 16-45.

Last edited by benjikan; 01-25-2011 at 01:15 PM.
01-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #92

Kinda sad that Pentax really don't have the resource for multiple projects...With the company being so small and hold such a little piece of the market, any new R&D need to go through Hoya for funds, and doesn't even have the ability to take risk and get loans from banks...

You guys can complain all you want, but personally, I think Pentax is doing exactly what they need to do: expand user base, show Hoya they can make money, and get more funding for expansion/R&D. It is ugly, but reality is just that. If they admit to SDM failure, it would spell the death of Pentax faster than you think.

That said... at least they are at least doing something and put out that DC motor in the new 18-135(replacing screw drive?) Hope they are coming back around to update the SDM now...
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I'm amazed that Pentax would let a pro like Benjikan hang to dry like this...
Ben is an ordinary Pentax user. He has left a professional relationship with Pentax more than once.

Professional service costs money and either you pay for it or you get it through a sponsorship. Not sure if Ben could get the professional service if he wanted to -- in Paris (location of the Pentax headquarter for Europe) he should have better chances than in other places of the world -- but certainly he doesn't have one.

Initially I defended Pentax regarding SDM failures as there was a lot of uproar with little data to support the claimed magnitude of the problem. Meanwhile the SDM failure stories haven't ended without any response from Pentax. I'd never buy an SDM zoom other than treating it as an MF lens.

Regarding the 16-50, the Tamron and Sigma competition is better anyhow, so no loss there.

Last edited by Class A; 01-25-2011 at 04:05 AM.
01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Glee46: I was looking at the 28-75mm 2.8 for my K20D. Did you even get it to work?
I first shot the 28-75, 4 GB worth, indoors, mostly as a portrait lens. Most of the shots were ruined due to severe FF issues. Since then, I have only shot the lens outdoors, where it works focuses fine. I realize, though am very reluctant, I need to ship it back to Tamron for adjustments.

QuoteQuote:
glee46: How does the 17-50mm work on your K20D?
It works splendidly, and it was my first copy of the lens. In here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31955-tammy-cl...ml#post1354739 you will find numerous shots with the 17-50.

QuoteQuote:
glee46: Any lens you might recommend in place of the 28-75mm for k20D?
If you want a 2.8 lens, and prefer the 28-75mm range, I would suggest getting the Tamron 28-75. It is a great lens, which you will not beat IMO--when you weigh all the factors. You really need to ask yourself these questions:

What focal range is most important to me?
Do I really need a 2.8 maximum aperture lens?
How much money do I have to spend?

What are your answers to these 3 questions?

01-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #95
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Most of the shots were ruined due to severe FF issues. Since then, I have only shot the lens outdoors, where it works focuses fine. I realize, though am very reluctant, I need to ship it back to Tamron for adjustments.
If you don't have FF/BF issues outside then it seems like you are just suffering from the normal Pentax FF issue under Tungsten lighting.

Check one of your other lenses indoors. You should see the same FF issue. Perhaps the 28-75 has a slight FF issue outdoors as well which then gets exacerbated indoors? Have you tried fine tuning the AF under daylight?
01-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you don't have FF/BF issues outside then it seems like you are just suffering from the normal Pentax FF issue under Tungsten lighting.

Check one of your other lenses indoors. You should see the same FF issue. Perhaps the 28-75 has a slight FF issue outdoors as well which then gets exacerbated indoors? Have you tried fine tuning the AF under daylight?
I have checked other lenses indoors and have calibrated as needed. The trouble with the 28-75mm, is it is so far off indoors, no adjustment can make it up. You could be right that it has a FF issue, slight, even outdoors--I have not yet tested it carefully outdoors (currently we are @ minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit. However, even at larger apertures outdoors, the lens looks good to me so far. I have not tried to calibarate the AF to daylight yet, but then it seems good in daylight. Thanks for helping out--I do appreciate it.
01-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OmegaKulu Quote
You guys can complain all you want, but personally, I think Pentax is doing exactly what they need to do: expand user base, show Hoya they can make money, and get more funding for expansion/R&D. It is ugly, but reality is just that. If they admit to SDM failure, it would spell the death of Pentax faster than you think.
Wow. So what you are saying is that it is ok for Pentax to solve thier problems and "expand thier user base" on our dime, because if they admit to thier problems and fix them, it will put them out of business?

I can think of better charities for me to donate to than CRIS and Hoya. I didn't realize I was buying lenses simply to prop up an undercapitalized business.

01-25-2011, 12:33 PM   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
So what you are saying is that it is ok for Pentax to solve thier problems and "expand thier user base" on our dime, because if they admit to thier problems and fix them, it will put them out of business?
You don't get it is it? what happen when they admit SDM failure? first they'll need to extend all warranty on all current SDM lens out in the market, 2nd they need to get into R&D and provide solution ASAP, change production line for all SDM lens include new moldings to fit new motor solution, and guess where all that money gona come from? Nowhere, Hoya would not invest that much money up front.

Even if Pentax want to fix the problem right away, Hoya have the final word/$ on the issue.
Only way we will see this fix will be either Hoya's risk assessment see the benefit of resolving this issue or Pentax earn enough money for Hoya to inject more $$ into the brand.

What company wouldn't like to be problem free? but you need to set your priority when your cash supply is on short leash.
01-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #99
Veteran Member

You don't get it is it? what happen when they admit SDM failure? first they'll need to extend all warranty on all current SDM lens out in the market, 2nd they need to get into R&D and provide solution ASAP, change production line for all SDM lens include new moldings to fit new motor solution, and guess where all that money gona come from? Nowhere, Hoya would not invest that much money up front.

Even if Pentax want to fix the problem right away, Hoya have the final word/$ on the issue.
Only way we will see this fix will be either Hoya's risk assessment see the benefit of resolving this issue or Pentax earn enough money for Hoya to inject more $$ into the brand.

What company wouldn't like to be problem free? but you need to set your priority when your cash supply is on short leash.
OK, just so I make sure I understand you: You are telling us that Pentax shouldn't admit to their product flaws because it may cost them money and even put them out of business?

Wow. I sure hope you don't work for a pharmaceutical company!!!
01-25-2011, 04:34 PM   #100
JHD
Veteran Member

Or a car manufacturer!
01-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #101

OK, just so I make sure I understand you: You are telling us that Pentax shouldn't admit to their product flaws because it may cost them money and even put them out of business?

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Or a car manufacturer!
Very different issue, no life is at risk, say if there's a problem with battery blowing up, now that's an issue either Pentax or Hoya can ignore.

It's like car manufacturer have a known issue with power window failure, will they fix it? Depends on their financial situation. If they have problem with steering? They have to fix it regardless of cost. In ways, pharmaceutical are even worse, they rather slap a warring label on drugs, sell it, make a new/safer one and slap a "NEW and IMPROVED!" label.

You guys are too naive to think corporations wont hide defects in their product. To them, it is a simple question of "Is it worth the money to fix it?"

Nikon and Cannon are much better as in they can easily redirect money from less essential departments such as marketing or take on loans to fix problems(they got a lot more $ to throw around), unfortunately Pentex isn't in a position to do so.

Last edited by OmegaKulu; 01-25-2011 at 07:20 PM.
01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An AF lens can't auto focus? I bet it is much severe than power window problem as to a car. How about a car's tranny stuck to only one speed?

I doubt Pentax is actually making any profit from SDM lenses. Halt the SDM lens prodution and fix the design problem first. Otherwise, SDM lenses can't be profitable. And their reputation is hurt badly.

Last edited by hyyz; 01-25-2011 at 08:33 PM.
01-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #103
Veteran Member

You guys are too naive to think corporations wont hide defects in their product.

What amazes me so, is that not only do you think it is ok for corporations to hide defects, but by your own words, you think it is "exactly what they need to do"!

It would make me feel better about humanity if there were /sarcasm tags after your posts, but I fear you are dead serious!
01-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
And their reputation is hurt badly.
Obviously either they don't know or don't care since the SDM ordeal has been going on since... 2007?
01-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
I doubt Pentax is actually making any profit from SDM lenses
???

They got the price tag alright to make a profit.

Since Pentax only provides one year of warranty (unlike Sigma which in some countries provides 3-6 years warranty) and a number of SDM lenses just about make it through the first year, I don't think Pentax loses money on SDM lenses.

They could sell more if they had a better reputation, maybe, but I'm sure they are making a profit with them.