Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #151
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why not?
QC pure and simple. SDM hasn't been my only service issue with a number of significant body problems over the last 2 years. The K-5 'stains'' issue was just another indication that they can crank them out but they aren't being careful enough in testing.

I am pleased though that Japan finally issued a press release to say there was a problem with the K-5. That was refreshing and a small step in the right direction. Lets hope for more of the same.

Before you jump on me, I know that far more expensive gear has had serious issues from Canikon and others. From what I see though, they seem to address the problems and actually speak publicly that they are working on solutions. Having Pentax Canada tell me that "I'm the very first person to report a problem with an SDM lens" was insulting. Particularly since it was the 4th lens I'd sent in for repair. When questioned, they said they had never done an SDM repair until I asked them to look at my previous service records. Out and out liars.

01-30-2011, 03:03 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
QC pure and simple. SDM hasn't been my only service issue with a number of significant body problems over the last 2 years. The K-5 'stains'' issue was just another indication that they can crank them out but they aren't being careful enough in testing.

I am pleased though that Japan finally issued a press release to say there was a problem with the K-5. That was refreshing and a small step in the right direction. Lets hope for more of the same.

Before you jump on me, I know that far more expensive gear has had serious issues from Canikon and others. From what I see though, they seem to address the problems and actually speak publicly that they are working on solutions. Having Pentax Canada tell me that "I'm the very first person to report a problem with an SDM lens" was insulting. Particularly since it was the 4th lens I'd sent in for repair. When questioned, they said they had never done an SDM repair until I asked them to look at my previous service records. Out and out liars.

now that is Piss poor...but a Distributor Lie...Not Pentax...Id say they have a mantra, similar to "would you like fry s with that".....but more like " we have no SDM repairs..we have no SDM repairs..we have no SDM repairs"..Etc etc etc.

not good enough really
01-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Example, FWIW:

I recently had a surgery for glaucoma in my good eye and was away from the Forum since October. Unfortunately, as a result, I'll be forced to sell virtually all my legacy manual focus Pentax gear - quite a considerabl;e collection of lenses and bodies. My vision just isn't good enough to focus any more.

I was all set to use the proceeds of these sales to get a K5 for the Live View focusing, the three FA Limiteds and a 50~135 - it would be an even exchange.

How discouraging to come back to the Forum and read nothing but complaints about sensor stains, FF and SDM.

Now I'm not so sure.

It isn't just Pentax who should be upset. Add in Creve Couer Camera, Adorama and B&H. I can do lots of other things with $5,000. I can just keep my K10D, FA35/2, FA50/1.4 and DA55~300 and get a new focusing screen.

In fact, that's most likely what I will do, at least for now.

This petition idea isn't about a select number of unhappy users. There's a much bigger picture here.

. . .

You go online and see threads like this and think, "what if I want a 60-250mm or a 16-50mm? Nikon doesn't seem to have many issues with their lenses. Pentax appears to have SDM issues. I'll buy a Nikon.

Plus what if you decide on one of the SDM lenses in a years time? Would you risk it? I wouldn't give Pentax $50 for a DA*16-50mm no matter what the warranty. I've had 3 of them and they all died.

The point is, to use our collective membership to tell them, we want this addressed. Replace the SDM system with something that works and make screwdrive available as a backup option.

. . . .

So the idea is for the community good, not just for a selected group of members. We PM each other and get everyone to sign the petition, maybe, just maybe we can get some action.
01-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #154

Wow we have 1,122 signatures....is that not enough to make something happen if we sent it to Pentax? Some crude math would say that if each one of those people is holding back from buying one DA* lens that would equate to around $1,000,000 in lost revenue (depending on which lens of course) and I bet many of us would purchase more sdm lenses than just 1.

01-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Out and out liars.
I have a lot of empathy for you because I know how annoying such things can be, but "lying" requires intent and it could well be possible that the person you were communicating with had no knowledge of your earlier repairs. Also, these service people are not "Pentax".

But I get your overall drift.

I just had a look and noticed it is not a petition to improve SDM technology. The only thing the petition is asking for is to allow screw drive as a backup mechanism.

While that would be very useful, I guess it isn't really good enough for Pentax. They need to sort out the SDM failures addressing the root cause, not just allow an SDM replacement option.

BTW, I don't think we'll ever get such a firmware. They could have made it available already.

P.S.: Can someone tell Adam that "SDM" shouldn't be expanded to "Supersonic Drive Motor" but to "Sudden Death Motor"?

Last edited by Class A; 01-30-2011 at 03:23 PM.
01-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My vision just isn't good enough to focus any more.
Have you tried using the focus confirmation indicator? Works really well for me. Its tolerance is a bit too large but after a while you learn to hit the sweet spot.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How discouraging to come back to the Forum and read nothing but complaints about sensor stains, FF and SDM.
The stains are a thing of the past. I'm confident the FF issue will be addressed in a future firmware update. Pentax Japan is working on this.

As for SDM: Luckily there are great alternatives. I probably wouldn't get a 16-50 even if its SDM were reliable. There is better competition glass available (if you don't need the WR).
01-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #157

You've got to be kidding. There is a problem. Ben is proof, I'm proof and so are many others. I had 3 SDM lenses fail and repaired then fail again. Some warranty and some not. It's cost me a tidy sum out-of-pocket.
i guess i used too many negatives in my previous post so i am sorry if that caused confusion.

i agree that there is a problem and that Pentax should do something. however, Pentax has made its position clear by refusing to acknowledge the problem for years now.

so you can either take a risk and hope everything will be fine, or pay for out of warranty repairs, or switch systems. either way you're voting with your dollars (or euros or whatever) and you're making a conscious choice.

forum threads and petitions are nice but nothing beats voting with your dollars...

The second issue is having a proven and reliable AF in body motor that we can't use. The focus throw of a (non macro) AF lens is far to short for accurate manual focusing. So why not do a firmware update so allow us a backup position. I'm sure every SDM owner who's lens is now out of warranty would like this option.
i completely, 100% agree with this. i would estimate the cost of about 80 engineering hours to write, test, and release a firmware update. that is a small price to pay to make a lot of customers who shelled out a nice chunk of change happy. the fact that Pentax refuses to do this boggles my mind.

01-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #158
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Class A, Just to clarify, It was Pentax, not a service depot. Pentax Canada to be specific. I sent everything there each time for repairs and was speaking to the service department at the time.
01-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #159
Veteran Member

This is very sad, proof to me pentax will never admit SDM problems

Pentax Canada telling you they've never dealt with any SDM failure, yet this was your 4th lens failure in to them for repair !!!

Thats crazy Pentax Canada just out and out lied to you about the recurring SDM problem without realizing you were in for your forth SDM failure repair !!!

02-03-2011, 06:54 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
[/COLOR]
now that is Piss poor...but a Distributor Lie...Not Pentax...Id say they have a mantra, similar to "would you like fry s with that".....but more like " we have no SDM repairs..we have no SDM repairs..we have no SDM repairs"..Etc etc etc.

not good enough really
Unlike CR Kennedy in Australia, Pentax Canada belongs to Pentax Japan. While they can be good when in motion, their CS can be frustrating too when slack. And to be honest, I'd rather exchange through the dealer than hoping anything would be done covered by the warranty. Should anything be repaired under the warranty and I could not fix it myself, I would prepare for the worst and cut the loss if I had to. Based on my experience, I have little faith not on their repair ability, but their tendency to brush me off for warranty repair, and my spending on recent Pentax gears reflect accordingly. Hxll. I have even compiled the for sale list already, just can't quite pull the trigger yet.

Last edited by wlachan; 02-03-2011 at 07:00 PM.
02-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #161

My interaction with Pentax USA about SDM incase you're curious, in response to my question of whether SDM issues will be addressed:

Dear Mr. Elliott,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

PENTAX Imaging Company in the US has analyzed our sales and repair data. This information shows us that the warranty repair rate on all SDM lenses is at, or in most cases well below our normal return rate. Additionally, this takes into account all types of warranty repair. If we analyzed only repairs related to SDM failure, the repair rate would be well below our average, indicating there is not an issue with this system.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
02-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
My interaction with Pentax USA about SDM incase you're curious, in response to my question of whether SDM issues will be addressed:

Dear Mr. Elliott,

PENTAX Imaging Company in the US has analyzed our sales and repair data. This information shows us that the warranty repair rate on all SDM lenses is at, or in most cases well below our normal return rate. Additionally, this takes into account all types of warranty repair. If we analyzed only repairs related to SDM failure, the repair rate would be well below our average, indicating there is not an issue with this system.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

Sincerely,
Randall S.
I am sure this is the case, but the problem is the warranty is only good for one year. The idea that one year survival is a good selling point for lenses that sell for this price is crazy. People who buy these lenses want them working for ten years plus, not one year.

At the same time, if this is how Pentax is judging the situation, you can understand them not feeling like there is a problem.
02-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #163

Three and four repairs on the same lens is well below the normal return rate? This response from Pentax brings me to a turning point, whether to continue with the company or move on. I have never owned anything but Pentax and shoot it professionally. How am I to continue with a company when I cannot buy their high end lenses with confidence? How am I to recommend a company that is so obviously ignoring a problem? Shall I tell folks that they make great cameras, but beware of the lenses? Frankly, I don't even want to think about it any more, and that might be reason enough to move on.
02-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Dear Mr. Elliott,

Sincerely,
Randall S.
You need to ask about after warrenty repairs then tell him he is full of chit. I sold all my SDM lenses and got Sigma's to replace those and never have had a problem.
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #165
Pentaxian

Randall S: "...indicating there is not an issue with this system."
Yeah, right...