Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
If we analyzed only repairs related to SDM failure, the repair rate would be well below our average, indicating there is not an issue with this system.
Maybe the repair rate is very high on non-SDM lenses, making the SDM issue "below" average?

QuoteQuote:
Three and four repairs on the same lens is well below the normal return rate?
They are not looking at individual statistics. They are dividing sales by repairs.

QuoteQuote:
I sold all my SDM lenses and got Sigma's to replace those and never have had a problem.
Knock on wood. I also wanted to avoid SDM worries at the time I got the Sigma 150-500, which ironically, is "within the range of serial numbers" that might have a known HSM problem. So far, so good. And I don't think about possible failures. But it has a longer warranty, too (3 yrs).

02-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #167
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
... I got the Sigma 150-500, which ironically, is "within the range of serial numbers" that might have a known HSM problem.
I did a google search on "known HSM problem" and your post here is the only one turning up.

I also searched for "Sigma 150-500" & "HSM problem" and again your post here comes on top. There are a few more, irrelevant (mostly auto-generated) ones.

I tried before to see whether there have been issues with HSM and (using Google) have never been able to find anything.

It's a different story with "SDM".
02-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I did a google search on "known HSM problem" and your post here is the only one turning up.
Auto focusing issue affects limited number of Sigma telezoom lenses - SIGMA CORPORATION
02-05-2011, 05:42 AM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
You need to ask about after warrenty repairs then tell him he is full of chit. I sold all my SDM lenses and got Sigma's to replace those and never have had a problem.
I read about the SDM issues on here and all over the net, avoided SDM altogether and went straight to HSM and haven't looked back either. I now have 4 Sigma HSM lenses. It's a shame for Pentax really.

02-05-2011, 06:41 AM   #170
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The point they are missing is the bad PR this causes. I've read more than one person on other forums that switched from brand X to Canikon and mentioned that the SDM issue caused them to dismiss Pentax as a choice. They need to fix it for us and for future customers.

But then as the reply above demonstrates, here's their thinking on the subject:
Attached Images

02-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
The point they are missing is the bad PR this causes. I've read more than one person on other forums that switched from brand X to Canikon and mentioned that the SDM issue caused them to dismiss Pentax as a choice. They need to fix it for us and for future customers.

But then as the reply above demonstrates, here's their thinking on the subject:
Hear, Hear!
02-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #172
Pentaxian

Thanks for the pointer. Seems like Sigma is very proactive here about a manufacturing problem (as opposed to a design problem) as I haven't found any user complaints.

How I wish we had a statement from Pentax stating that they had identified a set of serial numbers for SDM lenses where an error could potentially occur and that they invite users to send in their lenses for inspection.

But we always have the one year warranty on SDM lenses, don't we?

02-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #173
Closed Account

Lot's of threads on this 16-50 mm! Too bad since it covers 90% of the stuff I do.
I just had mine - the AF - fail again just 6months out of warranty. Dropped at the local Pentax repair man, got the quote, and wrote a letter to Pentax Canada. I was happy to receive an answer giving me a 50% discount on the total cost.
Now, I say this is a descent way to show good will since it is the first time I ever had a major problem with a Pentax product.
Hope they tweek they lens.
02-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Rnovo ... Thats the reason why when I bought mine last week, I made sure I had the Pentax Canada 2yrs warranty + a 7 year Mack warranty that came with it.

Worse case scenario I can sell it after 2yrs and it still has 5 years left on its warranty which is transferable.

Pat
02-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Rnovo ... Thats the reason why when I bought mine last week, I made sure I had the Pentax Canada 2yrs warranty + a 7 year Mack warranty that came with it.

Worse case scenario I can sell it after 2yrs and it still has 5 years left on its warranty which is transferable.

Pat
I was looking at that too....anyone know what Mack is like to deal with?
02-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sending both lenses to Pentax tomorrow. Both DA*'s
02-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #177
Veteran Member

So...

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Sending both lenses to Pentax tomorrow. Both DA*'s
what's happening with this? I WAS going to sell a bunch of my FA* and get a weathersealed DA* system, but now I'm not so sure...

Cheers,
Cameron
02-20-2011, 05:54 PM   #178
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Cambo, If you are selling for just the WS, then DON'T. I realize that there are no FA*16-50mm's but if your lenses offer the focal lengths you want, I would never trade a FA* to a DA*.

Unless you shoot in pouring rain a lot, there's no need to have WS IMO. It's a nice feature but one that we hype a bit more than we really need on a regular basis.
02-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For landscapes all I really need is f4, so I have been able to avoid the SDM issues. There is a lot to be said about the old tried and true screwdrive.....

10-07-2016, 01:48 AM   #180
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I can't believe this. I brought my 16-50 for my Harper's BAZAAR shoot which was just repaired. Start up camera...DA*16-50 lens is DEAD!!!!

Called Pentax...No response!!!!

Merde!!!!!!!
Hi Benjikan,

Do you think it's worth getting the DA* 55mm f1.4. I already own a Pentax 24-70 f2.8 but I'm considering getting the 55mm because of the wider aperture.

On my mind also is the SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF] (if I can find any).

Not sure which to get. Any thoughts please. Thanks