Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #76
Forum Member

Sorry I could express my thoughts in a clearer way. I know what macro means, basically this thread let me discover that the 100mm macro lens can be an alternative for portraits and I'm just looking for more feedbacks (or examples as well) to better understand how good it is as an alternative, since the lens is not so cheap.

Andrea

05-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #77
Veteran Member

The DA 21mm Ltd and DA 15 mm Ltd are 'good' for potraits too:

Last edited by philippe; 12-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
05-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #78
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
One more portrait with dfa 100mm macro:

View Picture EXIF
Name:  IMGP1012s.jpg
Views: 5560
Size:  145.2 KB
05-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #79
Forum Member

Thank you!

05-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #80
Veteran Member

AF primes in a headshot-portrait focal-length range generally aren't cheap. A less expensive alternative: a manual lens, and CIF (catch-in-focus). I use this sort of setup extensively for fairly dynamic shoots. It's easy to use supplemental flash with a PK-A mount lens. If using ambient or controlled light, a PK-M prime, or a screwmount lens with adapter, will do just fine, as long as the lens base or adapter are wide enough to cover the lens-mount contacts. (That's necessary for CIF.)

My lens-of-the-day today: An M42 Novoflex Noflexar 105/3.5 bellows-macro lens (US$27 shipped) on a Bellowscope (US$21 shipped) and wide-flange M42-PK adapter (US$5 shipped). That's a nice handy cheap lightweight macro / portrait / short-tele setup. I've been shooting bugs on flowers, still and moving people, street'scapes, etc. Cheap enlarger lenses with edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness (75-140mm range) on bellows are great for portraits and similar work.

My other less-expensive M42 favorites: Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro. Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8. Super-Takumar 105/2.8. None of these cost me much. All produce quite good results. None require bellows!

If you *need* automation, spend money on an AF lens. If you *need* flash, get an AF or PK-A lens. If not, try exploring the possibilities of manual and bellows lenses. The results can be brilliantly good.
05-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
AF primes in a headshot-portrait focal-length range generally aren't cheap. A less expensive alternative: a manual lens, and CIF (catch-in-focus). I use this sort of setup extensively for fairly dynamic shoots. It's easy to use supplemental flash with a PK-A mount lens. If using ambient or controlled light, a PK-M prime, or a screwmount lens with adapter, will do just fine, as long as the lens base or adapter are wide enough to cover the lens-mount contacts. (That's necessary for CIF.)

My lens-of-the-day today: An M42 Novoflex Noflexar 105/3.5 bellows-macro lens (US$27 shipped) on a Bellowscope (US$21 shipped) and wide-flange M42-PK adapter (US$5 shipped). That's a nice handy cheap lightweight macro / portrait / short-tele setup. I've been shooting bugs on flowers, still and moving people, street'scapes, etc. Cheap enlarger lenses with edge-to-edge flatfield sharpness (75-140mm range) on bellows are great for portraits and similar work.

My other less-expensive M42 favorites: Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro. Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8. Super-Takumar 105/2.8. None of these cost me much. All produce quite good results. None require bellows!

If you *need* automation, spend money on an AF lens. If you *need* flash, get an AF or PK-A lens. If not, try exploring the possibilities of manual and bellows lenses. The results can be brilliantly good.
Your first comment that "AF primes in a headshot-portrait focal-length range generally aren't cheap" is relative isn't it? From the gist of many of your threads, it sounds like you're just poor or you're just not prepared to spend a reasonable amount on a good modern AF lens, and that's probably why you strongly espouse cheap and dare I say archaic options because that's probably the only options available to you. There are a whole lot of benefits that come with with AF and automation which I believe is a popular choice for the vast majority of photographers. Ease of use and speed to allow the photographer to quickly focus and obtain exposure accurately on the subject rather than fiddling manually with a old gear is a huge advantage that tips the scales towards a lens like the DA 100mm WR.
05-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #82
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
My other less-expensive M42 favorites: Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro. Meyer Trioplan 100/2.8. Super-Takumar 105/2.8. None of these cost me much.
Funny. Earlier today, I read a thread on how pricey the Trioplan is these days. How little a lens cost you is no indication of how easy it would be for someone else to find it at the same price today.