Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 05:19 AM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll have to expect a large weight and size differential between an f/2.8 telezoom and a low-end consumer Tamron, Sigma or Pentax telezoom - the 70-200s are in a league of their own and serve quite different purposes.

01-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...I should mention that jsherman's gush threads have gotten me into heaps of LBA trouble (cosina55, DA 15mm ltd, etc)...well, his amazing photos from this Tammy were all i needed to upgrade my sad little tele. This lens is worth every penny I paid and I could not be more pleased.
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

This is a fantastic zoom. As others have stated, sensational bokeh, good sharpness wide-open, nice contrast at every aperture.

Here's --> Another Thread In Which I Gush, with Photos.

200mm f/2.8
I swear, that first set of pictures in your thread should go on the marketing literature for the lens...all i needed to see, quite frankly.
01-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Forum Member

I agree...boy they are sharp....by the way your pictures on ppg are outstanding too!

01-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have much happening in my backyard, but I took my Tammy outside and caught these couple of pics...there is a little sharpening and color boost applied, but I remain delighted at this fine lens.

bokeh at f/5.6

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-21-2011 at 11:50 PM.
01-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had lunch with Gus (Igilligan) and shot this one in the restaurant at 200mm. not bad.

01-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well darnit! mine is going back for a warranty replacement. The AF is misaligned, well beyond what can be corrected in-camera. There is BF at the short end and significant FF at the long end. MF looks beautiful, but i do occasionally like to use AF too.
01-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #23
Forum Member

Maybe these are dumb questions (as I am new to this) but why is it that new lenses aren't check for BF/FF issues before they leave the factory? Kinda like, new cars are usually all aligned correctly before being sold. Is the FF/BF issue an individual camera issue? If one bought a new lens from say one of the big camera resellers (e.g., BH or Adorama) would they check it for you before they sold it to us?

Last edited by lkjr; 01-27-2011 at 07:29 PM.
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

a business major most likely can explain it better.

my guess is its cheaper to fix returns then check every lens for inherent problems in the first place.

As far as i know, no lens manufacturer has revealed just how exact is their testing tolerance and whether its every lens thats tested or simply batch testing from a production line.
01-27-2011, 08:08 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well, i was still within the 30 day return window at amazon.com so i simply requested a replacement and the new lens is being overnighted here...NOT bad, Amazon. I will cross my fingers hoping the problem was an isolated incident.

EDIT(next day): A replacement lens is "out for delivery" and I simply called Amazon and told them the return shipping cost and they instantly credited my credited card. GREAT service from Amazon!!

Last edited by mikeSF; 01-28-2011 at 12:03 PM.
01-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The replacement lens arrived and at first blush appears to be quite accurate in AF at both ends of the zoom. I will shoot some daytime pics tomorrow to see some real life rendering, but I think/hope this is a good copy.

In other news, I FORGOT to remove my new Hoya UV filter and so it went back to amazon attached to the lens...crap!!
01-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
In other news, I FORGOT to remove my new Hoya UV filter and so it went back to amazon attached to the lens...crap!!
I did that once with a brand new 16GB memory card in a P&S I had to return, I feel your pain :ugh:
01-29-2011, 01:42 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi all! I registered here for me and my wife as she uses the Pentax K7 and this lens(among a few lenses). I use Nikon D3X, and will compare some things to that camera. Karen just got this lens as a supplement to her 50-200mm WR. Frankly, I am shocked at how good this lens is. The build quality is not pro use/abuse tough but better than my nikon 70-300 VR and a little les tough than my nikon 80-400 VR. It's very nice. The autofocus is astounding, and this is compared to my fastest focusing lens: the 24-70 AF-s G. IT is equally as fast, and works well in very low light. When focusing it usually(90%) locks on instantly, the other 10% of the time it takes about .1 to .2 second to fine tune the focus. No front focus or back focus that I can see from closest focus to the mountain top microwave tower 2 miles away. Also, the lens focuses the same in daylight, incandescent lighting, and fluorescent lighting. I realize the lighting issue is probably more camera related(this is why Karen is waiting for a definitive answer to the K5 focus issue some people are having). The pictures coming off of this thing are just a league above the 50-200mm: at 200mm f2.8 this lens is sharper than the 50-200 is at f11 or f16 which are the best openings for that lens, and it just gets better as you stop down. At 135mm I read a few posts that the lens can get soft there wide open, but it looks comparable to the 200mm setting. At 70mm wide open it is a little softer, and has a little haze, all this is gone by stopping down 2/3 of a stop(I shot around 300 pics with it today, more to come). One quirk: I read this in one of the forums and tested it myself: On live view it focuses very fast, then does a sudden touch-up that makes it front focus and says that it is in focus! It does this consistently, so I think it is a ROM bug in the lens and I will e-mail Tamron and see what they say. I can always MF it in live view, and Karen never uses live view. I will post pics over the weekend, but I wanted to tell you all about this lens, it really is incredible for the price and quality. Works good on 'C' focus also, but I really don't use that much and neither does Karen. We mostly do travel pics, weddings, and documentary stuff. She uses Pentax because of the weight(she is real tiny) and the WR lenses when needed(She knows this lens is not WR, but that is why she has the 50-200). Forgot to add: I tried the Pentax 60-250 and felt this lens was a better deal and a bit sharper. Thanks for bearing with me, and I will get some pics up over the next few days.

David

Last edited by David&karen; 01-29-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Forgot to add comparison and reason.
03-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
The replacement lens arrived and at first blush appears to be quite accurate in AF at both ends of the zoom. I will shoot some daytime pics tomorrow to see some real life rendering, but I think/hope this is a good copy.

just to follow up on this story, I told amazon i left my filter on the lens and they issued my a $50 credit which i applied to a replacement from their inventory.

I still remain plaeased with the lens. Here's a new one from this week:

shot at 200mm
04-04-2011, 10:45 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another, wide open (f/2.8):

Playground Tractor Beam