Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
F* 300mm shoots Crocs

Recently, I've been wondering if I should trade in my F* 300/4.5 for the new DA* 300/4. Based on these results using the lens handheld on a GX-10 (K10D), those doubts are laid to rest. Yes, it rained while I was taking these shots, however, a plastic shopping bag over the lens body, provided adequate "weather sealing".

Photos taken from a boat "Pathfinder" on the Jumping Crocodile cruise on Adelaide River, on the way from Darwin to Kakadu: Adelaide River Queen Jumping Crocodiles Cruises<meta name="keywords" content="Australia, Darwin, Top End, crocodiles, Jumping Crocodile Cruises, Adelaide River Queen, crocodiles, Northern Territory, Australia, Darwin, Top End, crocodiles, Jumping Cro The Pathfinder is the smalles boat they have, so the crocodiles were close, very close.

Okay, Mr Croc, you have passed your dental health checkup with flying colours!

This guy is looking me straight in the eye, and thinking "Food!". Only the tip of his nose is above the water, typical attack posture for a croc hunting prey on the surface of the water or on the banks of the river, possibly the last thing you will see if you are taken by a croc.
These are "Salties", the Saltwater or Marine Estuarial crocodile, and they are the apex predators in Australia's Top End. Thankfully, you dont find them down South . In a Darwin suburb, we stopped in a Park for a barbecue and found a baby one of these in a duckpond in the middle of the park!

More photos of these crocs in my Picasa web album - Picasa Web Albums - Selar Rao - Crocs

01-20-2011, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

"This guy is looking me straight in the eye, and thinking "Food!"."
Oh yes he is!.
You guys are nuts down there.
Nice Bokeh BTW.
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
By all means, keep the lens--and the crocs!
01-20-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I would keep what you got. My DA*300 came in yesterday. Can't wait till spring to take alligator pics here in Louisiana. Took a few birds at the feeder out of the window today and so far I am impressed.

01-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
I would keep what you got. My DA*300 came in yesterday. Can't wait till spring to take alligator pics here in Louisiana. Took a few birds at the feeder out of the window today and so far I am impressed.
How is the DA* 300 to handhold? With SR on obviously. If I didn't have the F* 300 I would get that lens like a flash, even as it is it is the lens I yearn after the most.

I would love to "shoot" gators in Louisiana. Some day. And probably still with the trusty F* 300.
01-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
even as it is, it is the lens I yearn after the most.
Why exactly? It's a terrific lens but I think I'd be pretty happy with the F*.

I find the DA* very easy to hand-hold with a K20D--even with the AF 1.7x TC (although I usually use a monopod with that combination.)
01-21-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I would love to "shoot" gators in Louisiana. Some day. And probably still with the trusty F* 300.
Here are a few . First two from yesterday handheld
Second two from today on tripod. So far, I really like the lens. I have been comparing it to the Bigma today and it is quite a bit sharper, much lighter and much easier to hand hold. I ordered the 300 to see if I could maybe use it with a teleconverter and sell the Bigma. But right now, I think there is a place for both.

Name:  IMGP0080.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0119.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  149.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0181.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  128.8 KB

Name:  IMGP0191.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  106.6 KB
01-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryH Quote
You don't have alligators up there in your yankee zone...

01-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
You don't have alligators up there in your yankee zone...
Hmmmm....what are these?
Attached Images

01-21-2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, obviously I was only kidding... but seriously? There are alligators in North Louisiana?? Wow.
01-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Well, obviously I was only kidding... but seriously? There are alligators in North Louisiana?? Wow.

LOL.....
I seem to appreciate them more than the locals. We just moved here from Texas last year. Really enjoying it so far. Just always wanting bigger glass.
01-21-2011, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #12
MSD

Recently, I've been wondering if I should trade in my F* 300/4.5 for the new DA* 300/4. Based on these results using the lens handheld on a GX-10 (K10D), those doubts are laid to rest.
Recently, with research, I have seemed to have fallen for the idea of getting the F*300/4.5 . I would say that you keep it, it's over 200g lighter than the DA, isn't it? It's a great lens, and 'easy' handheld (for a 300).