Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problem with Voigtlander Nokton 58mm Lens Hood (LH-58)

Hey guys,

I just received an LH-58 lens hood to match my Nokton 58mm f1.4. I have two problems with it:

1) The hood won't screw in securely to my Hoya UV(C) filter. It gets most of the way fine, then it just spins at the bottom. I did a little bit of research, and it appears to be due to the number of threads on the hood versus the filter. Apparently some filters come with 2 threads, and some with 3...I need a 3, but of course that spec is always left out of the charts. Does anyone have a filter that screws in securely to this hood?

2) I got a Pentax 67mm pinch cap to try to use on the end of the hood. It's just barely too big to fit securely. Anyone else use this hood with a 67mm pinch cap that works?

Thanks for the help...I know this is very specific! :P

01-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hum, my Kenko/Hoya Pro1 Digital UV won't screw securely (it's a slim design) however my Tiffen ND screw securely (Not a slim design).
For the lens hood I am using a Hama snap which looks like this: hama.de | 00094267 Hama Objektivdeckel "Snap", für Aufsteckfassung 67,0 mm

I hope this help
01-21-2011, 07:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply Zav!

What do you think of tiffen filters? lenstip.com has an article on uv filters where they rate the tiffen in dead last, but perhaps they just had a bad sample?

As for the hama cap...i'll see if I can find a copy in the states. Thanks!
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Zav
Pentaxian

Well, it's a ND filter, not the kind you use everyday.
I just tried with my Hoya Pro Digital 1, it is securely screwed. Maybe going for a high end Hoya without a slim profile is a good option.

01-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd be game for that! Which model is your pro 1? The ones on B&H are listed as ultra-thin now...
01-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Zav
Pentaxian

I think you can try this one: Hoya 58mm Hoya HD Clear Protection Glass Filter XHD58PROTEC B&H
However, it may be a good idea to ask them directly if it is a slim filter or not ( Ask B&H Photo! - PentaxForums.com ).
01-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Zav. I think I may have found a solution for the thin filters. I put one of my daughter's hair ties (very thin rubber band) around the back of the filter thread of the hood. This acted both as a washer for the stripping threads and a means to better secure the hood in place.

I may still get the better filter eventually, but this will work for now.