Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
have any pictures with a background that will show bokeh attributes?
you mean like this?

I haven't been able to use the lens that much yet this year since I'm waiting to use it more this coming March. so images are quite limited as of the moment.

hope this helps for now.

basically, I'm impressed with the lens' rendering under certain environments with deemed harsh backgrounds (such as foliage, branches, fences, solid clutters, etc...)

01-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The samples from the A*85mm f1.4 have really smooth OOF... at f2. Like the DA*55 and FA 50, it is a *little* busy wide open. However those saymayng samples are pretty magical... tempting even.

Last edited by paperbag846; 01-21-2011 at 05:57 PM.
01-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This is just a quick test shot (that I happen to have uploaded) from when I first bought the FA*85/1.4, taken wide open at f/1.4, with a fairly challenging background (bokeh-wise).
01-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #19
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
This is just a quick test shot (that I happen to have uploaded) from when I first bought the FA*85/1.4, taken wide open at f/1.4, with a fairly challenging background (bokeh-wise).
thanks,
but sadly this rules the FA*85 out, judging by this, it doesn't seem any better than FA43 or 77ltds in the way it renders it's OOF stuff....

01-22-2011, 02:57 AM   #20
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
The samples from the A*85mm f1.4 have really smooth OOF... at f2. Like the DA*55 and FA 50, it is a *little* busy wide open. However those saymayng samples are pretty magical... tempting even.
you have a point but I'm not buying f1.4 lens to use it at f2....
01-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
you mean like this?

I haven't been able to use the lens that much yet this year since I'm waiting to use it more this coming March. so images are quite limited as of the moment.

hope this helps for now.

basically, I'm impressed with the lens' rendering under certain environments with deemed harsh backgrounds (such as foliage, branches, fences, solid clutters, etc...)
Thanks for those too but again, not quite what I'm after... For example, the last shot with birdcage, the cage itself is still "very meshy" for my liking, one thing I like about K50/1.2 that it obliterates any detail in OOF areas smooths it out... and that's what I'm after but in longer lens...
01-22-2011, 03:12 AM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clou Quote
There are quite a few lenses to consider.
Here are some examples:

A* 85/1,4 @2,5

Red Dots - No Award
thanks but would you have any similar samples from the A* @ f1.4

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that the A*85 and FA77 were closer in design than the A*85 and FA*85.

I've always found the FA*85 to be very smooth, a bit better than the DA*55 and FA77. Not sure how it directly compares to the A50/1.2; perhaps a few test shots this weekend to compare them all? Do you have a suggestion for the best setup to be able to compare two lenses of different focal lengths? Inother words, would you frame the object so it was the same size or leave the distance from the camera to the focal point the same and just let the magnification be different?
yes, sorry, that was mistake on my behalf. I meant that A*85 and FA77 share the optical layout. FA* is different and doesn't have FREE, AFAIK.

with the tests, I'd appreciate it from you.
If I could be pain it the but, could I ask for both? i.e. shot from FA*85 wide open, followed by A50/1.2 wide open from the same spot, and then A50/1.2 wide open moved so the framing is the same. If you could do that for me, I'd be really thankful.

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
How about the legendary Bokina (either the Vivitar Series 1 or Tokina AT-X 90mm f2.5 version). It may not be as fast as you want, but it is a lengend for both sharpness and bokeh. In my opinion, it is the best macro lens for both sharpness and bokeh in the range. After all, it got that nickname for a reason.

You may also want to think of an even longer lens, which will help smooth out most backgrounds a little more anyway, like the K135/2.5, or dare I mention the A*135/1.8...
I was thinking of A8135/1.8 but they are very rare (in UK) and very expensive (1200 ish), the K135.... well, that one is still on the list

Peter,

why don't you try out the Samyang/Rokinon 85/1.4 ? the bokeh is buttery smooth. as Mactak mentioned, if you don't mind the S190/Vivitar 90mm speed (f2.5), it displays a great bokeh. the only downside though is that the 90mm macro is not that easy to find. so your best beat would be the Samyang.

the new Sigma is also great but I prefer the Samyang's bokeh better. also, the delay in the release for the K-mount is also a problem.
I see what you are saying but... they are not SMC... it might sound stuck up, but I'm real sucker for SMC glass! I don't know why.. well, maybe I do:
a) better flare resistance
b) better re-sale value
c) excellent build quality (those lenses I'm looking at... I mean you won't find badly build Pentax 85)
d) I like the "Pentax rendering"

call me silly but I fell for it...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I have nothing useful to add, Axl, but I do want to thank you for not saying "bokeh".
pleasure Mike, I dislike the "bokeh" word usage as much as you do... people tend to use for whatever reason but for me it's OOF rendering.
01-22-2011, 04:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Probably too short but have you considered the K55/1.8?

01-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #24
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have, and I might be getting one shortly, but that's for different reason. I like how it renders OOF areas wide open but it's far from smooth...
01-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

A lot of lenses smooth out nicely when stopped down a little (DA *55 which you have tried is an example). It is pretty tough to compare lenses that start at f2.4 -f2.8 to lenses that start wider than f2. From what I have seen, your 50mm f1.2 is about as smooth as it gets at that aperture.

The other thing you could look at, would be something longer, like a 200mm f2.8. Sure, it is only f2.8, but your depth of field is still pretty small due to a longer focal length. From what I have seen, both the DA * and FA * 200mm lenses are pretty nice with out of focus areas.
01-22-2011, 06:28 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What does his height have to do with it?
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Aperture isn't everything with the longer focal lengths...

A 50mm at f1.4 has roughly the same DOF as a 100mm at f2.8.

Also, the 85mm at f2.0 has less DOF than the 50mm at 1.2...
01-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I understand what you mean Peter. although not bad for an f2.5 lens. and somehow as good or even slightly better compared to some fast 85mm. I believe f2 on that same. 90mm lens would have suffice what you are looking for.

I can't think of any fast telephoto that can display what you are looking for aside from the Canon 85/1.2.
01-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I can't think of any fast telephoto that can display what you are looking for aside from the Canon 85/1.2.
Especially with SMC. One can always go longer, as the telephoto compression will dramatically help to smooth out the backgrounds. That's why I suggested a couple of 135mm lenses; heck, there are also some excellent Pentax fast 200mm lenses, but that may be a bit too long for the OP.

Remember, distance between subject and background plays a huge role in how smooth the bokeh looks, so I wouldn't rush to judge any lens based on one or two pictures. Any lens, even the 50/1.2 (which I have) can be made to exhibit not smooth OOF by getting the subject/background distance "right".
01-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #30
Pentaxian

A few more from different lenses.

Tamron 28-75/2,8 @75mm/2,8

Festgezurrt

A* 85/1,4 @1,8 far

Snow and Lighting

A* 85/1,4 @2,0 close focus

Gut befestigt

F 135/2,8 @f4,0

Griff

F 135/2,8 @f4,0

Beeren

OOF rendering depends on many factors, such as focal length, optical formula, number and shape of aperture blades, etc...

OOF is not my primary subject for photos and I usually stop down when usiing longer lenses, as the DOF is small anyway. There are lenses, that tend to have harsher OOF rendering (mirror lenses are good examples), others tend to have a better OOF rendering ('Bokina', Macro lenses, so-called portrait lenses), but most lenses can deliver good and bad OOF rendering depending on the subject and technical factors of the photo taken.