Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
with the tests, I'd appreciate it from you.
If I could be pain it the but, could I ask for both? i.e. shot from FA*85 wide open, followed by A50/1.2 wide open from the same spot, and then A50/1.2 wide open moved so the framing is the same. If you could do that for me, I'd be really thankful.
I took a few test shots to get started and posted them in this thread. They are all taken wide open with similar framing. I had intended to take the shots all from the same distance as well, but my time got cut short (kids) and I'll have to go back and take some more later. But I figured I would post what I had right away and try and get some feedback before taking additional shots.

01-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
Especially with SMC. One can always go longer, as the telephoto compression will dramatically help to smooth out the backgrounds. That's why I suggested a couple of 135mm lenses; heck, there are also some excellent Pentax fast 200mm lenses, but that may be a bit too long for the OP.

Remember, distance between subject and background plays a huge role in how smooth the bokeh looks, so I wouldn't rush to judge any lens based on one or two pictures. Any lens, even the 50/1.2 (which I have) can be made to exhibit not smooth OOF by getting the subject/background distance "right".
of course, distance between subject and background plays apart with significant blur-out. although I would guess that Peter maybe looking for that blur-out distance that is not achieved by the recommended lenses. I'm not too sure if he would like another 135mm fl especially if he sold his fast copy to me about a year ago, much so if it was a 200mm. can't believe I have the lens already about a year now. surely time flies by too quickly.
01-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Before I tell which lens it is: is this considered smooth bokeh?

(Shot handheld with this topic in mind).

01-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

for what it's worth, I think it's better to have some comparisons such as this >>> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/130307-out-foc...a77-fa*85.html , inorder to see the degree or level of smoothness that one person might be looking for.

01-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Peter, have you considered the all new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ?
01-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #36
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Peter, have you considered the all new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ?
yes and no...
it's not very small, and it's not SMC, but idea of new 85/1.4 with AF is always tempting
01-23-2011, 03:00 AM   #37
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote

Peter,
out of those three. 1 is nice, and I would like that, 2 is a no no, and three could be, seems nice and smoot... care you share what lenses they were?
01-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #38
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
of course, distance between subject and background plays apart with significant blur-out. although I would guess that Peter maybe looking for that blur-out distance that is not achieved by the recommended lenses. I'm not too sure if he would like another 135mm fl especially if he sold his fast copy to me about a year ago, much so if it was a 200mm. can't believe I have the lens already about a year now. surely time flies by too quickly.
has it already been so long? One year really?
And yes, you are right about the focal length. I simply don't really see much above 100mm. 135 is a maybe, if it would be A* or K2.5. I haven't tried 120mm, if there would be K series for sale I might be tempted, even if it's f2.8 "only"
I really liked 100/2.8 FA macro. That one was nice with it's rendering. I have tried M85 which was nice but not quite nice enough, and I haven't tried any other SMC 85s. I guess I wouldn't mind K85 or A*85....

01-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #39
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I took a few test shots to get started and posted them in this thread. They are all taken wide open with similar framing. I had intended to take the shots all from the same distance as well, but my time got cut short (kids) and I'll have to go back and take some more later. But I figured I would post what I had right away and try and get some feedback before taking additional shots.
left you comment there... a big thanks
01-23-2011, 03:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Peter,
out of those three. 1 is nice, and I would like that, 2 is a no no, and three could be, seems nice and smoot... care you share what lenses they were?
What's wrong with #2?

The three shots were made with the same lens, a lens I consider a sleeper. However, it's M42 so you may not like it. To make a long story short: the lens is a 100mm F/2.8 Pentor. It was sold under other brand names such as Hanimar, Chinonflex, Porst. The OOF areas are more smooth than you might think.

This is the lens:

TO MY eye, the OOF regions look really good!

On a 5D it works even better. Have a look at this photostream: Porst Tele 2.8/100 auto - a set on Flickr. If this is not smooth, what is?

Last edited by Asahiflex; 01-23-2011 at 03:32 AM.
01-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Might I suggest to take a look at the Voigtlander SL 90mm f/3.5 APO Lanthar?
Manual lens but I guess that won't frighten you.

Have look at the review by Blende8.

There is a review on Photozone as well (Nikon) about the first version.

As you may know, production of the PK mount was ceased but they are still available new.
01-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #42
Site Supporter

K50 1.2 vs K85 1.8

Hello

I hope these photographs help. Both taken wide open from "roughly" the same distance (hand held). I tried to focus the screw on the sharpener.

Thanks

Last edited by alvarossorio; 03-10-2014 at 09:26 AM.
01-23-2011, 08:49 AM   #43
Site Supporter

K50 1.2 vs k85 1.8

Different photographs, same comparison. These ones were taken very close to minimun focusing distance. Thanks

Last edited by alvarossorio; 03-10-2014 at 09:26 AM.
01-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #44
Veteran Member

And yes, you are right about the focal length. I simply don't really see much above 100mm. 135 is a maybe, if it would be A* or K2.5. I haven't tried 120mm, if there would be K series for sale I might be tempted, even if it's f2.8 "only"
I'm pretty much the same way (50-90mm is my preferred FL range), but lately I've been trying out my S-M-C Takumar 135/2.5 (v1) and am starting to get more comfortable with longer focal lengh, but I think I still "see" shorter than it. I also have the M120 f2.8, and I must say I really prefer that slightly shorter focal lengh to a 135mm lens (for me it's the ideal tele for APS-C). The K and M 120mm have completely different optics (the K is a scaled up version of the 105mm f2.8; the M a scaled down version of the 135/3.5). However, I have managed to find one or two tests comparting the two (see here: smc Pentax M120/2.8 & K120/2.8 ??) and there is surprisingly little between them; the K may be a little better, but the M is so wonderfully light and small. I really love my M120 and if I had to keep one lens above 100mm, that would be it. However, I must say that its OOF is not nerely as smooth (wide open) as the 135/2.5, and I think you might be disappointed if that is all you are looking for.

Edit: From that same site, you might find this helpful (especially as you owned the FA)--it's a comparison between the FA135/2.8 and the K135/2.5:
http://www.wretch.cc/blog/benjaminlai/7554118

Last edited by macTak; 01-23-2011 at 11:58 AM.
01-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I really liked 100/2.8 FA macro. That one was nice with it's rendering. I have tried M85 which was nice but not quite nice enough, and I haven't tried any other SMC 85s. I guess I wouldn't mind K85 or A*85....
Yep. I just realized that. I guess all of us had been really busy the past year. for us this year looks to be slow though and hopefully expecting something great while taking the time-off or slow down for awhile and enjoy what had been missed during the past year.

I just don't quite understand eventhough you liked the FA100, that you decided to sell it. I like the K85's sharp isolation and very good blur, but for really nice blur and sharpness the A*85 would be the best option. AF functionality and HSM of the Sigma is really tempting though for overall use. so it's more of a heads-up from here on in and what your preferred use and need will be. budget and availability are also considerations.