Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Thanks for the pic. We need a database of photos of lenses on cameras.
agreed

when i originally went with pentax one of the reasons was the fact that both cameras and lenses were very compact. that was especially true for my k100d + da-40mm combo.

of course, since then my camera has gained a spare tire in the form of a battery grip and i don't have any more pancake lenses but nevertheless, size is important so it's good to know how the final camera / lens combo will look and feel.

01-28-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Yeah, I wish there was a standard. Sigma's zoom is backwards as well. Took me a while to get used to it when I got my first Sigma zoom.
I had the Sigma 70-300 and Sigma 18-50. The zoom rings went in the opposite direction :-(
01-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I had the Sigma 70-300 and Sigma 18-50. The zoom rings went in the opposite direction :-(
Opposite... of each other? WTF??
01-30-2011, 03:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I don't know what Sigma's logics are.
On my older 28mm f/1.8 Aspherical II, the focus is working the same direction as on Pentax' lenses. On the recent 28mm f/1.8 Macro however, it is not.
Seems like they have changed their focus operation somewhere in the past to match these of Canon and Sony(?).

I only have on of their zooms - the 70-200 and on this one focus also works the opposite way compared to Pentax, but the zoom just works the same.

Can be confusing when switching lenses but there are bigger issues.
Right now I only have on Pentax lens remaining so Sigma's or Canon's way of focusing is the natural way to me now.

01-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #20

Original Poster
so i took my camera and with the sigma 30mm to my sister's house and took a few shots of her kids - 6 year old boy and 3 year old girl (both very cute).

i took a bunch of photos, all at f1.4, and the results are a mixed bag. with the kids moving around as they do and the shallow DOF it was difficult to get their eyes in focus. so it turned into a numbers game - take a bunch of shots and hope that some of them will turn out well.
this was expected and was pretty much what happened. as always having results which meet expectations is a good thing.

i don't have any samples to post because my sister doesn't really like having her kids' photos all over the net. instead here is a shot of my breakfast which shows the shallow DOF you can achieve

View Picture EXIF
Name:  pavel_birman-5278.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  218.2 KB