Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 35mm f/2.4 first look

Today I bought this lens, and from the very begining looked for focusing flaws, so set on my kr -2 to "fix" focus mismatch.. then I came back and saw, that the focus still isn't ok.. so I continued to adjust it.. Did not like the feeling of not having precise focus, so I put it on sale.

But later, reset focus adjustment, and here you go.. It focuses precisely..

I do not know if I'll sell it anymore, but tomorow I'll have the "grand test" for it, so, tomorrow is the judgement day for it, whether I will keep it or will sell it.

took these three photos by my computer, after the focus adjustement was reset (of course I took a little more photos, but these three are shareable)

photos taken in raw developed in LR3 with minimal adjustments, sharpness set on 40-50.. nothing special.

all taken at close distance

ISO 800 f/2.8 1/25

ISO 800 f/2.8 1/25

ISO 800 f/2.4 1/25

I do not know if this says anything, but so far I cannot tell anything else. during the weekend I'll test it better.

01-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks pretty sharp, nicely contrasted and with a very decent bokeh at f/2.8
Impressive for a consumer AF prime.
01-21-2011, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #3

You suspect it to be faulty, and your immediate reaction was to sell the problem to someone else. How nice.
01-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So from your few moments of casual shooting indoors you can determine that a lens or camera has supposed focusing issues? What rubbish...
FYI, of the many people who I know who have this lens, all have give the thumbs up for this lens.

01-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skog Quote
You suspect it to be faulty, and your immediate reaction was to sell the problem to someone else. How nice.
well I was suspecting that it focuses bad on my kr. the person to whom I'd sell it would check the lens.. and would buy only if he or she would want. + I have a full warranty.
So it's not a crime or anything..
01-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
So from your few moments of casual shooting indoors you can determine that a lens or camera has supposed focusing issues? What rubbish...
FYI, of the many people who I know who have this lens, all have give the thumbs up for this lens.
well I tried to focus on my friend's eyes (multiple times), but couldn't so.. is it a fantastic conclusion that something with the focus isn't consistent and precise? I think no.

And so far, did I give a notion, that it's bad? look at the pictures posted, do you notice any faults in them? I don't. It's just I wrote my story behind my lens buying.

And I said tomorrow will test it in different conditions and will see, does it satisfy my needs or not.

if it does I'll write positively, if it doesn't I will write factually in which areas it doesn't.
01-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Verdict!

I'll keep the lens.

today went to a planned photoshoot to the nightclub and, found out that this lens is very useful for headshots.

the client demanded more tight portraits, so, this lens, gives them what they need.

the IQ is great. the bokeh/blur is good, the focusing speed in low light, not as fast as 12-24mm but acceptable.

the focal lenght is great for such shots, although 31mm would be even better. howver I need my both legs and arms, and all other internal organs, so I won't exchange them into one of those.

Glad I did not take DA40 couse it would be too tight.

most of the time I was shooting in f/2.8

the results are sharp, but of course there were many that focus wasn't spot on, however, when the focus was spot on, the pictures look great.

here are some quick random shots, that I took with it today:

pictures seem less sharp because I applied negative clarity, so people skin would seem smoother, because otherwise people do not look pretty. all spots and scars etc. are too visible
now my sigma 17-70mm is the most difficult to work with.. its AF in low light is terrible..

Tomorrow will update with more pictures..
01-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the update

Well I'm really satisfied with this lens.

the IQ is great, color rendering, contrasts, sharpness all without any complaints, even contrary with a pleasant surprise.

the photos that i'll post do not look for sharpness because in most cases I reduced the sharpness so people would look more beautiful
I don't know what those pictures will tell you, but to my needs this lens is great.

bokeh is very pleasant.

the last picture is taken with 12-24mm
just because I like it

01-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote

pictures seem less sharp because I applied negative clarity, so people skin would seem smoother, because otherwise people do not look pretty. all spots and scars etc. are too visible
now my sigma 17-70mm is the most difficult to work with.. its AF in low light is terrible..

Glad you like your new lens. Skin smoothing should ideally be done as a local adjustment in PP to avoid exactly that problem.
01-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm glad you like the lens. I'm thinking of picking it up as well.
Would be a great travel lens, light weight, cheaper than a da 35 ltd. if damaged or stolen :-). Not to mention great lens profile too!
01-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks twitch and theperception2008, for your comments. appreciate them.
and I hope, this thread was somewhat useful.
the client was very happy with the results

cheers.
01-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Pentaxian

These photos look great. What shutter speed did you use to preserver such good color?