Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA 70mm 2.4 ltd vs 90mmTamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens

DA 70mm 2.4 ltd vs 90mmTamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro Lens

I've been "good" since the holidays and haven't bought any lenses. But....LBA is starting to affect me. Either of the above lens would fill a gap in my primes ( I have 50mm.....then 135mm) The used DA 70mm is about the same price as a new Tamron 90mm. I have no ltd lenses (yet) but the Tammy could be used for macro and portraits (and comes with a warranty) I enjoy taking all types of photos and would probably be happy with either. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Peter G.

01-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Focal lengths are pretty different... you could easily own both. 70 would be a lot nicer to work with indoors IMHO. Great lens. Have not used the Tamron but it appears to be great as well.

You might also want to consider autofocus speed - the Tamron is going to be a lot slower.
01-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Auto focus is not often used in macro and not a speed issue with portraits. If you like doing macro then the Tamron is the natural choice. Otherwise, 70 may be a bit better for portraits.
01-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As already suggested, the DA90mm and Tamron 90mm are in different leagues.

The Tamron 90mm should be compared to the Sigma 105mm and Pentax FA100mm. These 3 lenses are all macro lenses, with comparable focal length, and all three are highly regarded, incl. 'Highly Recommended' award by Photozone.de for the Tamron 90mm and Sigma 105mm.

Ultimately your needs should drive your LBA. What do you need? Another portrait lens? Or a macro lens ? Or both? In the latter case, the Tamron 90mm could be excellent (I have that lens and did some good portait with it).

But, before you take your decision, why don't you go to your local shop and try the lens(es)? Most good local stores would be happy to match the Internet prices and they provide you with the local services.

Hope that the comment will assist.

01-23-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have the same dilemma. However, I honestly have no real suggestion in terms of which is better. But I would buy the one that fits your need more. The Tamron has Macro which is always a good feature to have. However at 90mm for portraits it may be a hassle in terms of physical distance. The DA70 is shorter and could probably be used well in a small size hall environment where as the 90mm might be a little bit too tight.

Personally I'd go with what I'd need.
01-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

size & weight are pretty different, the DA70 is tiny especially without it's hood.
01-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #7

I own both

I actually own both these lenses, so I feel somewhat qualified to respond.

The DA70 is a special lens. The color rendition and contrast are amazing. The built-on hood, metal construction, and small size are great features when you are need a tough, compact package. Sharpness is corner to corner, so it is more than just a portrait lens.

The Tamron 90 is extra-sharp, however. Images seem to have the most detail with this lens than any I own. It's quite large, especially with the lens hood, so I don't use it as much. The Macro is very nice, and offers a good distance from the subject in Macro mode. AF speed in acceptable, so don't make your choice based on that.