Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DA*300mm First Photos

After spending a year with the Bigma, I decided to give the DA*300 a try. I was curious to see if the prime would out do the Bigma's sharpness. (which I have been very happy with)
So far I really like the size weight and sharpness of the lens. I notice that shooting out of my window, I occasionally get some kind of ugly bokeh and have decided that the smoothness of bokeh of both lenses is dependent on the distance of objects behind the subject. So far the 300 is a little sharper and much handier to use. I hope the sharpness holds up when using in combination withthe Kenko 1.5x teleconverter I ordered comes in.

Here are some of the first pictures. I Set my new K5 to TAV with a ISO range of 100-3200.

Name:  IMGP0248.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  IMGP0279.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  43.8 KB

[ATTACH]81517[/ATTACH

Name:  IMGP0153.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  118.0 KB

Attached Images

01-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Looks like the first one (female cardinal) is the sharpest image of the bunch. Yea I think the OOF background on that one is a bit distracting. I find this lens is sharp right from f4. Birds can be tough to catch, they never sit still for very long. And since I use a K20D which isn't as good as your K5 at high ISO, it's often necessary to shoot wide open just to have a shutter speed that will "freeze" these hyperactive little creatures. But so far I have no complaints regarding sharpness at f4.

Hope that Kenko TC works out for you. I use a Tamron 1.4 TC, which works fine with the SDM on this lens (although when I use it on the DA*50-135, the AF on that one becomes practically useless).

Although a lot of people think of birding, I've actually gotten more use out of the DA*300 for my boys' rowing events, where the boats are pretty far out there and you need some reach. And since it has a very good minimum focus distance, it also works pretty well as a pseudo-macro for butterflies and such. A very useful and versatile lens with great IQ, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have mine!