Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Differences In Limited

Even though I presume the coatings are the same on all my Limiteds (plus DFA 100mm macro) they all render slightly differently. I'm not really talking about sharpness, but colors and contrasts.
Why?

01-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unanswerable question, really. I personally believe that coatings play a role, but so would the differences in optical formula.
01-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mhm, I think it's more than just the "coatings..." Like paperbag said, optical formulas change things...
01-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is my understanding that color rendition is influenced more by glass formula and lens design than coatings, though I don't think that you can rule the coatings out.

In any case, certain lenses do have a reputation for great or unusual color rendition.

Steve

01-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, I realize it is a compulation of various things, or a formula that is effected by even the FL and barrel size, but each of my lenses has a particular personality all its own, and some of them vary so much I wonder if the coating process is exactly the same.
For instance, there is a world of difference between my DA 15mm Limited and my DA 35mm macro Limited.
My 15mm and my DFA 100mm macro render as if they had a built in polorizer, much more so with my 15mm. I know lenses designed for digital also have coatings on the rear element, but I wonder if the 15 also has coatings on some of the interior elements?
I'm also puzzled by how small the elements are on the 100mm.
I realize this is a tough question, but I've wondered about it for some time and thought some of the more technical members should shed some light on it. Maybe it is a trade secret, or maybe not even Pentax is sure why.
01-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
it is a trade secret
this is why it is impossible to answer.

I'm inclined to believe the coatings are involved because the DA ltds tend to reject flare better on digital than the FA ltds, but the FA ltds. are best with flares on film. The colour rendering of the DA ltds. are also best for shooting RAW and post-processing, while the FA ltds. render colour best directly onto film.

There is no doubt that the wildly different designs between the DA and FA ltds. also play a role... but I am inclined to believe that "designed for digital" includes "digitally optimized coatings".