Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcbubbleleo Quote
.......3 wks gone by, lens still at C.R.I.S. back ordering for parts.
just been told the back order parts are usually 2-4 weeks turn around. I sent in the lens the 1st of Feb, if I am lucky enough I shall get it back the end of March......

02-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #107
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
just been told the back order parts are usually 2-4 weeks turn around. I sent in the lens the 1st of Feb, if I am lucky enough I shall get it back the end of March......
Ahhh, just in time for Spring!!!
03-27-2012, 08:31 AM   #108

Mine 50-135 recently just fail. It started acting up in dec 2011 and after unmount and mounting it a few times it work again. Now it's completely dead this past weekend I tried. I'm juust freaking sad and piss but I knew this day would come. I contact pentax and they said they'll do free estimate for the cost of repair.

Has any one have SDM repair by them and know how much it cost? Also -- are they just replacing the motor and basically in 2-3 years we're having this same problem again?
And warranty for 50-135mm is one year I assume?
03-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyeros Quote
Mine 50-135 recently just fail. It started acting up in dec 2011 and after unmount and mounting it a few times it work again. Now it's completely dead this past weekend I tried. I'm juust freaking sad and piss but I knew this day would come. I contact pentax and they said they'll do free estimate for the cost of repair.

Has any one have SDM repair by them and know how much it cost? Also -- are they just replacing the motor and basically in 2-3 years we're having this same problem again?
And warranty for 50-135mm is one year I assume?
1.) I have heard just the SDM is about $100 range, maybe others can share their experiences; mind I had to replace the SDM and the Circuit Board, Costed me $212.00(shipping included.)
After almost 2 months, and getting th parts from Japan, the lens is finally repaired and on the way back to Papa! Will let you know if it is all worth it

2.) There are some says: older lens is more prone to the SDM failure, as opposite the Newer ones are way less; sitting on the shelf for more than a few weeks the go die faster, as opposite to use it regularly like once a week.

03-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #110

I tried this method and it work.. 20 minutes, had to use the fiance steady hand to put the pins back in place. I'm the happiest penguin in the fking colony right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
03-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #111
Veteran Member

It is amazing how we fan put up with the sdm BS. There must be a better motor out there, it got to be!
03-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #112
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
It is amazing how we fan put up with the sdm BS. There must be a better motor out there, it got to be!
Even the newer Pentax DC motor appears to be better than the (older) SDM motors. The problem for me is that I got all excited to buy a premium Pentax brand tele-zoom. I fought back and forth with myself between buying the 50-135 or the Sigma / Tamron 70-200 f2.8. I decided to stick with Pentax. About 15 months later, the SDM quit working followed shortly by a heart attack then losing my job of 25 years and becoming a long term unemployed statistic. All I can say is "Thank God" I still shoot with my K10D that I was able to back the firmware version to 1.2 so this wonderful lens focuses just fine using the old school screw drive focusing.

03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Just got a DA*16-50 lens from the forum, it can't lock focus on my K-5 (my *55 focuses okay) The focus just moves back and forth a couple of rounds, then gives up. It's not stuck or anything like that, actually the motor moves very smoothly and quietly, but just can't lock on anything no matter what focal length or distance Don't know if anyone here had the same problem w/ SDM lenses? I did try the lens on anothe AF film camera (screw-driven AF), and it locks focus fine.

Don't know if it'd help if I open it up and turn the motor like what you guys did here ...
03-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #114
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Just got a DA*16-50 lens from the forum, it can't lock focus on my K-5 (my *55 focuses okay) The focus just moves back and forth a couple of rounds, then gives up. It's not stuck or anything like that, actually the motor moves very smoothly and quietly, but just can't lock on anything no matter what focal length or distance Don't know if anyone here had the same problem w/ SDM lenses? I did try the lens on anothe AF film camera (screw-driven AF), and it locks focus fine.

Don't know if it'd help if I open it up and turn the motor like what you guys did here ...
Frank,
What you're describing is not the standard SDM problem. I don't think the method described here will have any effect.
03-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Even the newer Pentax DC motor appears to be better than the (older) SDM motors. The problem for me is that I got all excited to buy a premium Pentax brand tele-zoom. I fought back and forth with myself between buying the 50-135 or the Sigma / Tamron 70-200 f2.8. I decided to stick with Pentax. About 15 months later, the SDM quit working followed shortly by a heart attack then losing my job of 25 years and becoming a long term unemployed statistic. All I can say is "Thank God" I still shoot with my K10D that I was able to back the firmware version to 1.2 so this wonderful lens focuses just fine using the old school screw drive focusing.
More good things coming your way!
03-28-2012, 03:16 AM   #116
Veteran Member

this 16 50 is too full of funny character.
04-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Frank,
What you're describing is not the standard SDM problem. I don't think the method described here will have any effect.
Thanks. Already sent to our Pentax Service Center for repair. Let's see how it goes.
04-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

after 2 months from fixing, the lens was back finally last week, CRIS has done a tremendous job. foucusing is right on cue, no front/back focusing at point, it is fast and quiet, they also only charge the fee after UPS has delivered the package to me, overall was a great experience for me; only I hope they have told me it would take 2 months to obtain parts from Japan to fix it, then I would maybe just put it on Fleabay as is and sold it? nah, poperly not!
04-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

a shot taken by it indoor, nature light from window, f5.6 1/8 sec iso1100 on K-7, 50mm
Attached Images

04-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #120
Inactive Account

a shot taken by it indoor, nature light from window, f5.6 1/8 sec iso1100 on K-7, 50mm
Jeez, I can almost see the dust falling on the rear element of that 40mm.