Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 11:49 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Well, my lens count is approaching 180 190, so I guess I am addicted.
Ha, ha! You must be an optic nut (no offense here)! Wowwiee...

01-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
"The opposite of LIBERAL is not CONSERVATIVE, but ENSLAVED"....lol...missed that...funny thing is you'd think Liberals would want less laws, but instead add lots of laws controlling our lives. I think you really mean Libertarian ;-)
Without turning this into a debate on politics, you will notice (if you refer back long enough) that the north-american (and I'm going to include Canada in with this) concept of left and right wing is wildly different than many European countries, and even further removed from the political and philosophical texts that form the basis of these political ideals.

In other words... it's such a huge topic that the discussion has no place in a lens forum.

If EBAY is the only option, look for old cameras with 50mm's attached to them. Good deals there.

Also, keep in mind that the flash may also be nessicary, but trust me, the 50mm will be a lot of fun to have around regardless of available light and flash use.
01-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Without turning this into a debate on politics, you will notice (if you refer back long enough) that the north-american (and I'm going to include Canada in with this) concept of left and right wing is wildly different than many European countries, and even further removed from the political and philosophical texts that form the basis of these political ideals.

In other words... it's such a huge topic that the discussion has no place in a lens forum.

Don't lump us in with the US there left wing is about the same as our right

we're somewhere between the Europe and the US (in almost all things to be honest)

Sorry had to reply, Canadians hate being lumped in with the US it's our inferiority complex

good answer on the 50, I love mine (pretty much i'm happy with all my cheap lenses but i don't mind manual focus, some people hate it)
01-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

"The opposite of LIBERAL is not CONSERVATIVE, but ENSLAVED"....lol...missed that...
Without turning this into a political debate: I base that on the thesis that Liberal Studies are the knowledge base necessary to live as a free person, as opposed to those enslaved by ignorance and unexamined ideology. Yes, reality has a liberal bias. And in USA, many so-called 'conservatives' express an ideology that is anything but. Ok, I'll stop now...

But, back to cheap lenses. I'm now addicted to enlarger and projector lenses mounted on tubes and/or bellows. When I see a batch of lenses whose cost averages to TWO BUCKS EACH, I jump at them. Even those that ain't great technically may have outstanding character. Most projector lenses have no irises, are always wide-open, giving great bokeh and thin DOF -- some are zooms or offer PC (perspective control). Most enlarger lenses (which do have apertures) are razor-sharp from edge to edge. My most outrageous glass is a Schneider Betavaron 50-125/4-5.6 enlarger zoom that's brutally sharp and damn weird to use. It was US$70, marked down from US$3500. I like that sort of deal, eh?

I'm sure there are more Takumars in my future. That's what my lens-trading is for, to pay for 'better' glass. But these cheap deals are damn good also.

01-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:

look for lenses branded as Vivitar, Sears, Focal, Ricoh..
But watch out for the "Ricoh pin" which may make the lens nearly permanent on the camera.
01-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Sorry had to reply, Canadians hate being lumped in with the US it's our inferiority complex
I'm also Canadian. An unpopular one .
01-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Two things: indoors, get a flash. Lens won't help you as much as a flash.

Cheapest lens in your range is the Tamron 70-300 and it has a decent pseudo macro mode, but you'll have to stop it down (aka, you need flash). Or find a manual focus 85/1.8, but that's 3x the cost (around $300?) or a manual focus 50/1.7 ($100?)

And it really depends on what you define as decent...I'm assuming you mean bang for buck. Getting a good macro autofocus lens with zero money won't happen...otherwise, I'd be driving a Ferrari 458 by now :-)
using flash is an art on it's own, but for the most part, the most natural look is without flash... bounce or not.

01-24-2011, 10:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Goodwill, you need to haunt any local stores near you and get on their online auctions site. 90% of my lenses came from there one way or another and I wouldn't even have half a decent kit yet if I hadn't gone that route given my average affordable lens price is about $12-20 or so spent with extreme caution every two or three months maybe. Lens prices on Goodwill have been going up, particularly with Pentax gear, but still there are some stunning bargains to be had at Goodwill if you're patient and you keep a sharp eye out there.
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Goodwill, you need to haunt any local stores near you and get on their online auctions site. 90% of my lenses came from there one way or another and I wouldn't even have half a decent kit yet if I hadn't gone that route given my average affordable lens price is about $12-20 or so spent with extreme caution every two or three months maybe. Lens prices on Goodwill have been going up, particularly with Pentax gear, but still there are some stunning bargains to be had at Goodwill if you're patient and you keep a sharp eye out there.
on avg the price you pay at goodwill is about 10-20 bucks cheaper than market price (good will online), too many hunter in the goodwill forest, alot of time the price + shipping is even more than I would pay at keh.
01-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Listen to Rico,just dont talk american football with 'im
Picked up an "A" 35-105/3.5 mac in pristine shape for $80 a month ago,at local shop
did "happy dance" all the way home. Camera shops might be a little more pricey
can find a bargain every now and then.
01-25-2011, 01:27 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
For a generic 50mm, look for people selling old cameras. They often come with a 50mm lens attached, sometimes for very good prices.
This! I have a feeling I am gonna wind up owning a bunch of Film slr's in the near future....Just because of the lenses people sell them with that get overlooked.
01-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Listen to Rico,just dont talk american football with 'im
Oh, you mean HandEgg? I never discuss that.

QuoteQuote:
Picked up an "A" 35-105/3.5 mac in pristine shape for $80 a month ago,at local shop
did "happy dance" all the way home. Camera shops might be a little more pricey
can find a bargain every now and then.
One just went on the bay today. I was up to US$55 but then it jumped to US$71 in the last 4 seconds. Grrr...

QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
This! I have a feeling I am gonna wind up owning a bunch of Film slr's in the near future....Just because of the lenses people sell them with that get overlooked.
The trick? Buy a body with a desirable lens and replace it with a less-hot lens for resale, make money back, get the hot lens essentially for free. It works for me.
01-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #28

I just bought what i consider a bargain lens. I got a tamron sp 38-80 f2.8 for about £30 on ebay