Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How to search the auction site for a 35mm lens?

I am not new to the big auction site and can usually find my way around pretty well. However, when I decided to search for an SMC-A 35mm lens, I cannot seem to figure out the search and am getting every 35mm camera out there as a result. Any ideas? I would like to search for either flavor f/2 or f/2.8. Just curious for the time being about going rates - if and when the time comes to buy, I will most definitely post a wanted ad here as I much prefer to buy from the marketplace. Thanks in advance.

01-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My eBay search strings in CAMERAS area:

(pentax,pantex,pentex,pantax,smc*,asahi,takum*,rico*,petri,sears,m42*,mamiya,fuji*) -binoc* -"test chart" -110 -"lens hood" -adapter* -canon -sony -"lens cap" -uv -cpl -filter* -protect* -charge* -"case for"

lens (pentax,pantex,pentex,pantax,smc*,asahi,takum*) (at-x,atx,rmc,tokina) -binoc* -"test chart" -110 -"lens hood" -adapter* -canon -sony -"lens cap" -uv -cpl -filter* -protect* -charge* -"case for"

lens 35mm f/2* (pentax,pantex,pentex,pantax,smc*,asahi,takum*) -binoc* -"test chart" -110 -"lens hood" -adapter* -canon -sony -"lens cap" -uv -cpl -filter* -protect* -charge* -"case for"

Try those, eh?
01-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Problems that you run into: People post incorrectly, people list the same lens different ways - different order of words, some people like to throw every manufacturer's name in their text to pick up all searches, people purposely list junk in categories that it does not belong in, and this is not a common lens. RioRico has very good search suggestions above. Some of the best quality you will find comes from people who are selling stuff that has been in a closet or attic for a while. Sometimes this belonged to grandpa and the know nothing about it. You'll often see lenses listed with the information that is printed on a filter. The best Pentax deals are usually always listed with a camera, if they are listed in the lens category they sell for a higher price. Why? Because people who just want to make a quick buck or get rid of the stuff think the cameras are worth more than the lens. If the lens is for sale by somebody claiming that they have used it, they should have sample photos posted or linked. I generally avoid purchasing from camera stores or "Top rated sellers", or sellers that just have "buy it now" . Also beware of sellers that claim items are rare.

You will see a lot of listings with no information on the lens (when sold with cameras), photos in the lens review section of Pentax Forum cab help identify these. Also you can ask questions of the seller, often though you have to guide them because they are ignorant as to what is meaningful information. If a listing claims that the seller knows nothing about cameras or lenses, they probably don't, but if you take a look at their other items for sale and there are no other photography listings, they're probably telling the truth. This may be a little longer winded response than you wanted, but do a search on Pentax, then narrow to film cameras. Then sort by newly listed, or ending soonest. You may also search the cameras that were sold at the same time as the lens. Also do this under lenses. I'm afraid you will have to look through a lot of listings. Good luck, it's not easy.