Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Phoenix 28-210mm f/4.2-6.5 AS / IF.., what you think about this one ?

looking to buy an all in one lens on a tight budget found this one in adorama

Phoenix 28-210mm f/4.2-6.5 AS / IF Tele Wide Zoom Auto Focus Lens for Pentax AF

P09582 Phoenix 28-210mm f/4.2-6.5 AS / IF Tele Wide Zoom Auto Focus Lens for Pentax AF

but cant find a review about it, so, what do you think about it ?

01-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My general impression of Phoenix equipment is based on posts I've read (of course I can't find them right now...). What I recall is that they are not well regarded as they tend not to provide good image quality. I personally stay away from their stuff.

I could be wrong but with lenses you generally get what you pay for. Quality costs money.

$0.02 (USD)
01-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm not personally familiar with Phoenix lenses... but wouldn't it be better to get an older FA zoom lens?
01-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I found one on ebay for $45... NEW. At that price I couldn't NOT give it a try. (Seeing as it regularly sells for $150+). I just received it, and after a couple of shots... well, it's not all bad. For $45 it's pretty damn decent, actually. It's not sharp, but it's usable at f8. There is quite a lot of purple and green fringing in high contrast situations. Flare seems well controlled, unless you shoot directly at the sun. Even then, the flare is pretty, and doesn't wash the image out. Contrast is rather good, to my untrained eye, and the colors really pop with this lens. In fact, I actually really like how the colors look.

the construction is decent, all plastic but it feels good and it's a solid heavy thing. Bayonet is metal. Autofocus is fast, but hunts sometimes - hunts where no other lens I own would have difficulty. Minimum focus distance changes drastically as you zoom in. It will focus at around a foot at 28mm, but at 210mm it's more like 3 or 4 feet. It's f5.6 until about 190 or 200mm, and the last ever so slight rotation bumps it to f6.5. It comes with a bayonet-style hood, which works well and is nice... except that there are no dentents to keep it on, and very little friction to keep it in place either. I'm sure after this lens has some use, that lens hood is going to be rotating by itself and falling off while I carry the camera around or move it to and from my camera bag.

Image quality really isn't bad. I mean, the kit 55-300mm zoom is considerably better... but... well, it's by no means the worst lens i've ever used. It's in fact MILES better than the Tokina AF 28-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro, and also much, much, much better than the Sigma 28-105mm f4-5.6 (which is easily the worst lens I've ever owned...)

The range is useful, the price is nice, the colors are good, and it's usable at f8... but for indoors or dusk, you're going to want something else entirely.

I don't have a bunch of time, so here's a couple quick shots. This is 210mm, f8, straight out of the camera with zero post processing:

This one is ISO800 so you'll see a bit of grain when pixel peeping. 210mm, f8, again no post processing. I'm amazed at how vivid the colors are, I don't get this from my other lenses. Also notice the purple and green fringing is pretty awful.

Charles.

Last edited by ChopperCharles; 01-14-2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: added another photo
01-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

ChopperCharles' evaluation is spot on. I think most superzooms have a problem with fringing, though. While it certainly has some fringing, it's not the worst I've seen in this focal range.

I had one & my wife still has hers. It's surprisingly quite decent. Here's my review of it. Only reason I sold mine is because I bought a Tamron 28-300, which is about the same image quality, just with a bit more tele range.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one for a walkaround lens, but $159 is rather steep. I'd look for a nice used one. Up until recently, KEH had one in LN- condition for $45. They seem to come up for sale pretty often. You might put a "wanted" ad in the forum marketplace.

Good luck,
Bobbo :-)
01-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This is where I got mine, brand new, for $45 plus $10 shipping. Arrived in 3 days! Phoenix AS/IF 28mm-210mm F:4.2-6.5 Pentax AF | eBay

Charles.
01-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hello Zero656, you could be better off buying the Pentax AF 28-200 mm lens for a few dollars more. There is a Tamron variant of this same lens as the Pentax is a rebadged Tamron. This has much better sharpness, color and CA control. See my photos in my album posted on the forum with this lens. Happy shooting.
01-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh and I must reiterate. This lens is *SO* much better than my Sigma 28-105... like... wow. SO much better. I'll use this lens... the 28-105 would be better for target practice or lawn bowling...

Charles.

01-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #9

Just got mine.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
This is where I got mine, brand new, for $45 plus $10 shipping. Arrived in 3 days! Phoenix AS/IF 28mm-210mm F:4.2-6.5 Pentax AF | eBay

Charles.
I, too, bought this lens there like ChopperCharles, they still 14 left at this moment. Great deal!
Just got it today and right out of the box, I think the build quality is OK for a plastic lens, I am not crazy about the silver color. After a few test shoots, I was so surprised by the picture quality, sharp for a long focal lens especially at f8, good color. Even at 100% crop, the picture still looks decent. Auto focus is surprisingly fast, and it handles really well.
At this price, I have no complaints at all.
I have been looking for a long focal everyday lens for a while, I am so glad I found this lens at a great price. I will recommend this lens to people who wants a decent budget long focal lens.
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #10

interested, too

I just saw this lens, myself and wondered about the reviews. Are you all still liking yours? Also, I have a Pentax k X, I'm assuming it will work just fine with that camera will have auto focus still and program capabilities? Thanks.
04-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes, I'm still liking my lens. I use it quite often actually, the colors are just striking and nicely saturated. It's slow, so I only use it in bright sun, but I shot an outdoor wedding the other day (not as a professional, just for fun) and it was a life saver being able to go from wide to tele without changing lenses. If I had my 50-300mm, which is what I usually carry, I'd have had to miss some wide shots that I got nicely.

This isn't the perfect lens by any means, but for what it is and what it costs, it is really quite nice. I also use it on my SF10 film camera, and unlike the Sigma it has zero problems. Works perfectly! (Sigma won't autofocus on my film camera).

And yes, I'm using the Phoenix primarily on a K-x. Everything works perfect.

Charles.
04-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Some more sample photos from this lens:

Note these are hosted on facebook so they're more compressed than the previous pics.

Charles.