Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking for a 3rd party 135mm that's decent.

It has been a while since I've used lenses like Vivatar, Soligar, etc..
I am wanting a cheap older lens in PK mount as a 1st choice or M42 I guess.
100mm - 150mm prime, speed not an issue, f/2.8 to f/4 is OK,
But, I do want decent sharpness at least a few stops down.
My budget is $60.00 (Yikes)
For my Pentax SLR and Adapted to a Panasonic G1.
Sun, Sears,(Vivatar?), Pentacon M42, Star-D, etc...

If you know of any brands that are "Sleepers", I'd like to know which ones to consider.
If you own any, that you would recommend, please do, and if you can post sample photographs, that would be nice too.

01-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The M 135mm F3.5 and takumar 135mm lenses are within the budget, so why not consider those?

S-M-C/Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database
SMC Pentax-M 135mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Reviews & Pentax Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I sold an M42 SuperTakumar 135/3.5 for US$20 a couple weeks ago [sob!!] and you can find its ilk for not much more. I'm currently selling a Samyang-made Sears 135/2.8 in PK mount, no Ricoh pin. [ My eBay ID: r*m ]

Soligor, Vivitar, Sears, Focal, Porst, Hanimar/Hanimex, all are pretty much sleepers and can often be had for under US$20. Vivitar, Sears and Focal are pretty common as PK mounts. But like 28's and 50's, it's hard to find a *bad* 135.

If you want a REAL sleeper: the Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 for Argus C3 mount. Mine cost US$7. For an adapter, I took a one-buck Pentax body cap and dremeled a hole in it. A little dry-testing showed me how far to insert the lens in the cap to achieve infinity focus. Then I applied contact cement and glued the sucker together. This lens is tiny and has a unique character. And it meets my price criteria: If it costs less than a sandwich, buy it.
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I sold an M42 SuperTakumar 135/3.5 for US$20 a couple weeks ago [sob!!] and you can find its ilk for not much more. I'm currently selling a Samyang-made Sears 135/2.8 in PK mount, no Ricoh pin. [ My eBay ID: r*m ]

Soligor, Vivitar, Sears, Focal, Porst, Hanimar/Hanimex, all are pretty much sleepers and can often be had for under US$20. Vivitar, Sears and Focal are pretty common as PK mounts. But like 28's and 50's, it's hard to find a *bad* 135.

If you want a REAL sleeper: the Enna Tele-Sandmar 100/4.5 for Argus C3 mount. Mine cost US$7. For an adapter, I took a one-buck Pentax body cap and dremeled a hole in it. A little dry-testing showed me how far to insert the lens in the cap to achieve infinity focus. Then I applied contact cement and glued the sucker together. This lens is tiny and has a unique character. And it meets my price criteria: If it costs less than a sandwich, buy it.
Thanks for the info on Sears lenses, wasn't sure made them.

01-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

the sears would be your best bet. aside from that, you might be able to snag an SMC Pentax 135/3.5.
01-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arbib Quote
Thanks for the info on Sears lenses, wasn't sure made them.
Sears was once a pretty major photo retailer and their gear came from great suppliers. Some Pentax lenses were even branded as Sears. The Sears stuff I've encountered is identifiable as coming from Tomioka, Tokina, Ricoh, and Samyang. My M42 Sears-Tomioka 55/1.4 for TWO BUCKS! is a real gem. Well, actually I sold that one for US$45, but I kept the one I paid US$22 for. Not bad for a 55/1.4, eh?

Focal (K-Mart) gear is usually of the same quality as Sears, although less varied. You probably won't find a Focal except for 28, 35, 50, 135 and 200, and maybe an 80-200. Most of the zooms of that vintage are completely blown away by modern optics, but they're still decent for the low low price. Mine were all under US$10 each. But I've yet to run into a bad Sears or Focal prime.
01-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #7

Pentax M 135/3.5 is a great lens and within your budget, if you shop a little.
01-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Here are a few things you can do with an M135 f3.5

Index of /Photos/ForSale/M135

Keep in mind these were shot with my shitty K7 that by many accounts, cannot take a slow shutter speed photo and is incapable of a night-time shot.

I don't remember what I charged for the lens. Somewhere around $70. The Sears 135 f2.8 is a bit of a sleeper lens that will give you some close up ability as well and, if you can still grab one for $20 or so, do it. Just make sure you deal with any mount issues before putting it on your camera.

01-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As others have said, the M135/3.5 is easy to snag within your price range on ebay with just a little patience. I've seen them sell for as little as $40 shipped. Based on the samples and testing I've seen, it's a step above the third party lenses like Sears. It's also small and lightweight. I'd consider recommending the M42 Takumar 135mm lenses if it wasn't for the fact that by the time you buy an adaptor, they'll be more expensive than a M135.
01-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

look at the 135mm lens club there are lots to select from.

If you want something different, look at getting a 135F2.8 preset.

I have a tele-lentar with 14 blade aperture, it is a very sharp outdoor portrait lens, every bit as good as an SMC Tak in sharpness and color, (I have done comparisons) and it has a better boken (IMO) and seems to have a better definition of foreground and background (Off) as a result.

Look out for some of the lenses both M42 and K mount, which have shiny black metal parts in the rear of the lens. I got a Rikenon 135F2.8 that suffered badly from reflections off the sensor and shiny parts. This lens also had an apparent 1 stop disadvantage at all stops compared to the other two I have (SMC Tak 135 and the tele-lentar) as well as an unusual color cast.

none of the lenses mentioned is oin excess of $60 but if you have more, get the SMC K135F2.5. Has to be the best 135 there is,.