Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Forum Member

Camera shops in LA/San Francisco?

Hi everybody!

Apologies if this is in the wrong place (mods feel free to move to where it is most appropriate),

I'm going to be in LA and San Fran next week and was wondering if anybody knew of any shops I could pop into to buy some lenses?

I'm ideally looking for the 60-250mm lens (it's completely sold out in Australia - which is very annoying!) and so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've read somewhere that B&H/Adorama don't deliver to hotels/hostels but if someone thinks otherwise please let me know!

Thanks.

01-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax parts in the SF area is kinda thin. I've read that Sammy's Camera in LA is the place to go.

Samy's Camera | Digital, Cameras, Video, Camcorders, Photography, Electronics for Professionals and Consumers

You might also try these guys in San Jose:
San Jose Camera - Home

My local store Shutterbug Cameras in Santa Rosa has some Pentax stuff but no DA*60-250 that I'm aware of. Shutterbug Camera Shops in Santa Rosa and Petaluma California CA - digital camera store, SLR cameras and accessories, photography equipment and digital photo printing stores
01-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
When you are in San Francisco take the train to Berkeley. Take the train to MacArthur station and walk up Telegraph towards Berkeley. Looking Glass Photo is up on Telegraph there well above the Oakland border there. They are great. Lovely photography store, stocked with all sorts of things.

There are also several pawn shops and thrift stores on the Oakland/Berkeley border a bit further down which is why I am saying MacArthur station even though Ashby is actually a bit closer to Looking Glass.

If you go left when you come out of the BART onto Telegraph and keep going towards what they now call the Temescal area there is one pawn shop in particular. (Sorry can't remember the name but it was right between the two on Telegraph, and it will be on the opposite side of the street as you go up.) they always had a ton of photography stuff at nice prices. Lots of old lenses as I recall. The thrift shop on the same side of the street also gets some gear now and again. (It's a religious one, but I can't recall the name of the saint, sorry.)

Stay above the train station though. Don't go R and go below it. That area can be very dicey and the closer you get to downtown Oakland the more so it can be. You want to go left and walk up. It will start out a little iffy but within a block or 3 it starts to look more gentrified. If it doesn't? You went wrong way!

FYI, most of the camera stores in SF proper rather suck. They're pricey and they really gouge the tourists as much as they can. They're better if they know you live there, but not by much and anything near the Warf or Chinatown is to be strictly avoided. Besides extortion level high prices I've actually caught them selling used items as new. One big scam there now for the sales person to take your old camera in trade and offer you what is supposed to be a good price on a better one (usually isn't) and sell you a demo model or someone else's used model in the box sold as new. They tried that on me when I was there and I caught it and walked out, but later one of my friends told me it happens all the time. They also will re-label lower capacity memory cards as higher ones or sell you no name junk ones with fake brand name labels that don't work for very long if they think they can get away with it.

Looking Glass is reputable and the sales staff generally speaking actually knows something about photography which is helpful. A lot of the pros in the area shop there. More importantly they have legit merchandise. There's also a photography store in the Financial District that's legit, been there for a long time, but they tend to be very expensive and I never liked the sales people there much. I don't send people there as a consequence.

Last edited by magkelly; 01-24-2011 at 09:32 PM.