Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Not in the least
Sir, I wasn't refering to you. I was refering to the topic starter, garyk.

01-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by climit Quote
Sir, I wasn't refering to you. I was refering to the topic starter, garyk.
Then as the Aussies say, "no worries mate!"
01-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #18

since the pixel is smaller, the lens must be very good to still produce sharp images. the same lens can be very good for FF sensor with large pixel and very bad for cropped sensor with very small pixels.
01-25-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Yes it is. At this point, I'm kind of fed up with the K20d AF, and included the back-focused shot as an indictment of its poor AF. I placed the center focus point on the blue label and the K20d chose to focus on something else. That's one area where the GH2 cleans the K20d's clock - AF performance - both accuracy and speed.

That aside, the GH2 records as much detail as the K20d and similar DR, but over-saturates the colors (even in RAW). To the K20d's credit, it's bananas are a more accurate depiction.
Ha. Sounds like you need a K-5!

01-25-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Where's Pentax?
The same as APS-C Nikon.
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by olenl Quote
since the pixel is smaller, the lens must be very good to still produce sharp images. the same lens can be very good for FF sensor with large pixel and very bad for cropped sensor with very small pixels.
Full frame sensors stress lenses in different ways from APS-C sensors. Full frame sensors tend to look worst in the borders and corners and tend to have vignetting on extreme wide angle lenses for this reason. On the other hand, APS-C tend to stress the center of the lens and requires very high resolution capabilities in this region.

At this point the DA lenses are more than adequate to out resolve APS-C sensors, even the 16 megapixel K5.

I don't think people who are birders/sports photographers will ever be satisfied with micro four thirds, whatever happens in the rest of the market. Putting huge lenses on very small cameras tends to make shooting difficult. Depth of field is relatively increased as well, so that a 300 mm f4 lens when mounted on a four thirds camera will tend to act like a 600 mm f8 lens on full frame.
01-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Ha. Sounds like you need a K-5!
Yes I do! And I wouldn't have taken a detour to Panasonic if the K-5 had manual control of video....
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
A 4/3 sensors have a 2x crop factor because they are approximately 1/2 the size of a 35mm frame.
Yes, 4/3 has linear dimensions approximately 1/2 that of a "full frame", hence the "2x crop factor", but this means that it has an area 1/4 that of a FF sensor, not half: 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4. Given the same number of pixels, the 4/3 sensor has 4x the pixel density, and thus 1/4 the light gathering power of FF.

And yes, that previously posted Wikipedia diagram is to scale. Since it's not marked in that particular image, it's worth noting that Pentax APS-C is the same size as Nikon's (slightly bigger than Canon's).

Last edited by Cannikin; 01-25-2011 at 05:25 PM.
01-25-2011, 06:17 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The more I read this the more I like the 4/3 system. I have the k-5 and some good lenses. But I am getting older and just do not like carrying around a brick around my neck. The k-5 is really good. Buttttttttt heavy.
I have looked at sony. As a backup for the k-5. Now i think i will wait a year or two for lenses to come down to a good price. And technology will advance I hope.
Cannikin, very good info. 1/4 light gathering of ff is a concern. But i can see and understand the pros and cons of a 4/3 and the APS-C to to the FF. I never really understood before.

I think it is a winner for me.

Last edited by garyk; 01-25-2011 at 06:25 PM.