Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
may I ask where and which thrift store did you exactly found the lot?
don't want to be a bad sport, but it's sort of a trade secret

Last edited by Dubesor; 01-28-2011 at 11:17 AM.
01-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
don't want to be a bad spot, but it's sort of a trade secret
that's cool. I do know a lot of thrift stores and have visited some but I seldom go to those places anymore. I'm just curious because I might had gone there about 2 years ago, atleast that's the last time I had been to one. and I have never considered going to one since then. well, probably it crossed my mind last December in a second, just to get something for the needy. besides, I don't think that you would see something like that on a regular basis, unless it's a camera thrift store.
01-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that's cool. I do know a lot of thrift stores and have visited some but I seldom go to those places anymore. I'm just curious because I might had gone there about 2 years ago, atleast that's the last time I had been to one. and I have never considered going to one since then. well, probably it crossed my mind last December in a second, just to get something for the needy. besides, I don't think that you would see something like that on a regular basis, unless it's a camera thrift store.
I go when the mood strikes me, looking around for cameras, bikes, and clothes. Never scored anything quite like this, but many many lucky small finds. Thrift stores on the West Side tend to have much better stuff (obviously due to demographics). The ones out here in Mount Pleasant and on the Drive are really picked over for the kinds of things I look for.
01-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
the original owner probably attached the nikon strap only to put off potential thieves...
lmao

01-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
lmao
I'd laugh too but out there in the real world the Pentax logo is a much better theft deterrent i.e. few would know it's a 'serious' camera vs the better known Canon Nikons. That works to my advantage though
01-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
I go when the mood strikes me, looking around for cameras, bikes, and clothes. Never scored anything quite like this, but many many lucky small finds. Thrift stores on the West Side tend to have much better stuff (obviously due to demographics). The ones out here in Mount Pleasant and on the Drive are really picked over for the kinds of things I look for.
I know what you mean. possibly because the west side is such a quiet neighborhood or basically not much is going on except coffee, restaurants and some mini-shops. it's true that shops at that area are rarely visited and are smaller compared to the ones at the middle. the ones at the drive is what I found that had never been quiet nor boring.

my reason for not going there is due to the fact that most items there are no longer cheap. you can rarely score on a branded item that is really a steal or bargain and unless the salesperson has lived under a rock, he/she would get/purchase the item themselves. as far as camera equipment goes, I wouldn't think that 10% of the working staff their knows about or loves professional camera gears. honestly, most camera consumers are P&S shooters. at the end of the day, most of them would buy a $100 WR P&S camera over a set of lens and camera gear worth the same amount. so basically, most of the recent digital cameras get sold immediately compared to the vintage cameras.