Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2007, 12:50 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Nice clean shots - as usual Frank! You make a strong case for the 21. If there is distortion or soft corners, they really don't seem to be a factor based on these images. Can you detect a difference between the crispness of the 21 vs the 31, or would it be more in the realm of the pixel peeper to tell?
Well, 21vs31 is a big difference in FoV, and there is no comparison to 31 imo The 31 is just so good for it does, sharp and crispy, with creamy bokeh, nice colors, but it's just a normal lens on a APS-C dSLR camera. While the 21 is still a wide lens on a APS-C dSLR camera, very useful for general landscape and indoor photography. Another good thing about these two lenses is that both lenses can focus quite closely, especially the DA21 which can focus down to 20cm!

I'm happy with both lenses, but FA31 will be the lens I'd keep if I'm only allowed to keep one lens

10-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Can you detect a difference between the crispness of the 21 vs the 31, or would it be more in the realm of the pixel peeper to tell?
The 31 is truly amazing, and photos have such a unique look to them. I can always tell which photos I took with it, even just scrolling through them on the back LCD. Even on that tiny screen there is a three dimensionality that I have never seen on another lens.
10-13-2007, 04:30 AM   #33

Original Poster
Got a 31mm ltd

I took the comments and advice to heart, and was on the watch for a 31. Was predisposed to wait for the rebates to get one, but saw a 2 month old one for sale at a good price and grabbed it this morning.

I'm excited to try it. Would love to see some pictures for reassurance in my decision.

What I've decided to do is as follows:

Sale my 40mm ltd.

Buy the 31mm ltd (just did that)

Use 31mm ltd and 70mm ltd until I can afford a 43mm ltd next.

Then add a 21mm ltd 4th for the final kit of

21, 31, 43 & 70

That gives me the a small travel kit still of 21, 43 & 70 when I really want to go light. But also the 31 when I want it.

We will see if the logic is sound.