Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2007, 05:18 AM   #1

limited 40, 43, 21......... questions

I have a K10d with 18-55 kit lens and a 70 limited.

I just purchased and received the 40 limited and was all prepared to get the 21 limited next to have the 3 for a light walk about kit.

That said, after receipt of the 40, I can say that I'm not quite pleased with two things. I don't really like the screw on lens cap, as I'm using the lens for kid pics and I can't get the cap off quick eough some times. Also, the f2.8 is somewhat limiting for indoor shots when I really don't want flash.

Since the 43 is almost as small as the other two, 70 & 21, I'm thinking I should have gotten it instead. It would allow a little more light, and best I can tell it has a press on lens cap like the 70.

Is this crazy talk, or should I just live with the 40 and get the 21 instead? I'm torn, and without a store near by to pick up a 43 and inspect in person, I'm sort of going only on the reviews I can find here and there. The two lenses seem to garner about equal respect on the net, but the 43 is about double the price now that there are no rebates.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want to pick up the 50, as I want to stick with the limited lens line for now.

Thanks.

10-09-2007, 05:31 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well, the 43mm limited is a very nice lens, as is the 40mm.

If the cap is your big issue though, you could always look for a 49mm cap for the lens, and forgo the hood entirely.

Between them all, I would say to do that, as that extra stop you would gain, and the lens itself are not all that much different, but then again, you know your needs best.

Now, if you get the 21mm, you will have the whole DA Limited line, and that is my favorite from them all, and used to live on my K10D.

Just a thought....
10-09-2007, 05:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the insight.

I will eventually get the 21. I just wasn't sure if I wanted to get it now, or get the 43 first to compare against the 40, then sell the one I like least and then get the 21.

I am affraid that it might lead to me getting the 77 to compare to the 70 also though.

The other feature I like about the 43 that I forgot to mention is the pull out hood. Sort of looks like the one on the 70, which is really nice versus the screw on hood of the 40.

The 40 over all seems to be a really nice lens, and maybe even shows better color and sharpness from all the pictures I've reviewed, but that is what makes this a tough decision I guess.

Thanks again for the tips.

PS - Why did the 21 "used" to live on your K10d? What lives on it now instead? Just curious.
10-09-2007, 05:45 AM   #4
and
Veteran Member

I think the 43 over the 40 is a no brainer, the only things the 40 has ging for it is the QuickShift focus and smaller size and weight, but the 43 is already so small, the 40 is too small and very slow for a normal prime at f2.8 imo. I dont really see why anyone would get the 40.

The 21 seems like a nice lens but it is also too slow and also has more distortion at 21mm than the 12-24 which goes much wider, not too impressive but I guess its tradeoffs for the size, otherwise it seems a nicer lens than the 40 and its size it much better.

10-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for your candor. I think these two different lines of lenses 21, 40, 70 & 31, 43, 77 evoke strong opinions and emotions in people, as well as confuse the heck out of new adopters like myself. I'd love to own both side by side to see which I gravitated towards, but it's not practical from an expense standpoint to do so.

However, sometimes the best way to find out you liked something is to get rid of it or replace it, then suddenly remorse sets in. Since I have the kit lens covering 21mm right now, that was my reasoning to spend my funds on the 43 to compare hand in hand against the 40, but thought maybe someone else had subject or objective evidence one way or the other to help, which is why I posted my thread.

I appreciate the opinions so far, and welcome any additional side by side comparison photo's or experiences.

Thanks.
10-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Instead of affording the 21 and the 40/43, you might want to consider a lens for all occasions, the 31mm ltd. It is generally regarded as the best of all the ltds. As such, I followed advice and made it my very first lens purchase. In fact, I opted for a body deal only and for a time, it was my only lens at all. Now that I have a lot of lenses around (10 at the moment, old and new) I can tell you without a doubt that the 31 is still the most useful lens I have. The reasons? Useful focal length - good for getting a couch full of people in close quarters for example, or a full body portrait of a friend playing Wii from several feet away. Conversely, its close focus range lets you get right up close for a head shot or a larger flower or plant and yet, its heritage is a wide angle. While its only 46mm on the K10D, I still use it as my wide angle of choice for landscapes. Its just a versatile lens, well-built, pleasingly sharp, nice color and contrast and even looks impressive.

Oh, and its among the fastest of the ltds, which comes in very handy for indoor shooting without a flash, though I find the AF can hunt at times in such conditions.

Heck, I might want to add another consideration - take it for what its worth - the FA ltds are full frame. If things start leaning back toward the full-frame in future, your precious ltd investment won't be left behind. Yet if this trend never becomes a factor, you simply have the crop advantage with regards to strong edge performance to keep you satisfied with your purchase.
10-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txbonds Quote
Thanks for your candor. I think these two different lines of lenses 21, 40, 70 & 31, 43, 77 evoke strong opinions and emotions in people, as well as confuse the heck out of new adopters like myself. I'd love to own both side by side to see which I gravitated towards, but it's not practical from an expense standpoint to do so.

However, sometimes the best way to find out you liked something is to get rid of it or replace it, then suddenly remorse sets in. Since I have the kit lens covering 21mm right now, that was my reasoning to spend my funds on the 43 to compare hand in hand against the 40, but thought maybe someone else had subject or objective evidence one way or the other to help, which is why I posted my thread.

I appreciate the opinions so far, and welcome any additional side by side comparison photo's or experiences.

Thanks.
I think you are right, there are as many opinions on which are best, most unique etc. as owners of any of the lenses.

Now I do own all of them and have used them extensively enough tofind out what I like from the line up and what I do not. Owning both sets is not a solution, just more excellent lenses to choose from

We are generally talking very small margins and each lens is fully worthy of the Limited name.

Personally I consider the FA43 the finest lens ever produced by Pentax. I love the rendering it has. And I found the DA40 to be too tiny, however the DA40 coupled with either a K100D or istDS makes for a wonderful compact camera.

My DA limiteds live mainly with the DS and the FA limiteds with the K10D.
The Da21 is a gem of a lens and I have captured my best photo ever with this lens I think.

I have no direct comparison of the DA40 vs. FA43, but I might be able to do one tonight when I get home. Let me know if you need it

10-09-2007, 09:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ooooh, now there is an idea. Get a set of DA limiteds for a small body, and a set of FA limiteds for my K10d.

I would sure love to see direct comparisons of those lenses if it didn't trouble you to much. It is hard to compare them via pics in pbase. They both have good and bad examples in peoples general galleries, so you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Plus, many of the reviews on the lenses are very biased based on one or two general nit picks, or are too computer results based. I'm more interested in results based reviews, because I plan to use it not compare it to other lenses by the numbers.

The 43 is sounding like it will be my next purchase, to do my own comparison. Who knows, maybe a 77 will follow before the 21, but the 43 definately fits more to the ideals I like about the 70 so far, plus has wider aperature.

Thanks again if you get a chance to do some comparisons.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
I think you are right, there are as many opinions on which are best, most unique etc. as owners of any of the lenses.

Now I do own all of them and have used them extensively enough tofind out what I like from the line up and what I do not. Owning both sets is not a solution, just more excellent lenses to choose from

We are generally talking very small margins and each lens is fully worthy of the Limited name.

Personally I consider the FA43 the finest lens ever produced by Pentax. I love the rendering it has. And I found the DA40 to be too tiny, however the DA40 coupled with either a K100D or istDS makes for a wonderful compact camera.

My DA limiteds live mainly with the DS and the FA limiteds with the K10D.
The Da21 is a gem of a lens and I have captured my best photo ever with this lens I think.

I have no direct comparison of the DA40 vs. FA43, but I might be able to do one tonight when I get home. Let me know if you need it
10-09-2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Forum Member

One thing that's worth considering is that the 43 need to be stopped down to 2.8 to be sharp.
10-09-2007, 12:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pdmlmember Quote
One thing that's worth considering is that the 43 need to be stopped down to 2.8 to be sharp.
So that means the value of the speed advantage is limited. The 40 appears to be sharp at f2.8, so other than maybe a slight focus assist, the advantage isn't that great for lower light?

Why do people say the 43 is light years better than the 40 then? Is it simply due to size for manual focus, or what else am I missing?

The 40 has 9 aperature blade and the 43 has 8 I think. The 43 is larger with built in hood and better lens cap in my opinion. If it is soft wide open, then it is sort of a toss up based on which one feels better?
10-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pdmlmember Quote
What do you base that on? I think it is pretty darn sharp already from wide open.
In fact I have used it a lot like that, now sure the DOF is quite thin, but focussed correctly it is more than sharp from wide open, both my copies has been that.
10-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Got home a little too late...

to actually do a meaning full comparison.

But all photos in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/13101-tribute-fa43ltd-my...tml#post104085

are with the FA43ltd and the first 3 wide open
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

txbonds

Somebody posted this link before to a 30mm snap on cap that works great on the lens hood of the 40 ltd. The 40 has great edge to edge sharpness throughout the aperture range. Excellent contrast and color with little CA. It would be great to own both the 43 and the 40 but having the 21 and 40 sounds better.

The 30mm snap on lens cap works like a charm.
10-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #14

Original Poster
Nice. Thank you for sharing.

I think what I've decided to do is get the 21 ltd first. Then I'l look to pick up a 43 ltd as a possible replacement to my 40, for an ultimate portable lens kit of 21, 43 & 70.

Thanks again.
10-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txbonds Quote
Nice. Thank you for sharing.

I think what I've decided to do is get the 21 ltd first. Then I'l look to pick up a 43 ltd as a possible replacement to my 40, for an ultimate portable lens kit of 21, 43 & 70.

Thanks again.
Good decision I'm sure you'd love them (I mean the 21, 43 and 70 combo).