Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bought a used 77mm Ltd

I bought a used 77mm Limited lens today from KEH. I hope it serves me well.

I was torn between buying a macro lens in the range of 100mm and this. Finally, this awesome lens prevailed. There goes my chance to get into the world of macros. But then, I'm certain LBA will get better of me .

I was planning to buy a K10D early next year. Now that has to wait - since this purchase was a bit steep .

I'll certainly take the new toy for an outing when it arrives. Hope to post some pictures from the lens soon.

12-09-2006, 04:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's a very fine lens...and I look forward to seeing some shots from it. I've had it for about six months now, and don't use it as much as I'd like, but I would never sell it, and it's worth every cent I paid.
Cheers.
12-09-2006, 04:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Fa 77 ltd is my walk around lens since it is sharp wide open, light to carry and gives fantastic colour rendition.

The only thing funny about this lens is that it does not seem limited as there seems to be so many of the copies around. Not that limited. lol

But it is still a good lens - Great for any kind of photography
12-09-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter

You will love the 77. It is one of my 2 favorite lenses. The other is the Pentax DFA 100 macro. From this it is easy to see that you are doomed to buy both! The 77 is sharp wide open and has such a look to the shots. The only other lens I own that has a similar look is the 31. Enjoy it. Smart to buy one while you still can. Glass lasts forever.
thanks
barondla

12-09-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sripathy,
The FA77 is, as you know, a great lens. One of the great things is that it works pretty well together with the V2XMFTC. It doesn't get as good as a dedicated macro lens but it really works well. I remember Tracy (Photo_mom) posting some macro examples with this combo some time back.
V2XMFTC stands for Vivitar 2X Macro Focusing Tele Converter which is a combination of optics (doubling the focal length) and mechanics (extension tube) that allows a 50mm lens to go close enough to get a 1:1 magnification. With a 77 you won't get 1:1 but say approx 1:1.5 and that with a good result!
The V2XMFTC is available with a P/KA mount gicing you manual focusing and automatic aperture control and doesn't cost that much.
It cost some money (USD 50-100 at eBay) but gices you a versatile setup!

The FA77 is a good buy, congratulations!
12-09-2006, 10:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't forget that you can try macro with good results using two elements diopters in front of the lens, like a filter. Sadly, Pentax doesn't manifacture such kind of close up "filters" (the Pentax ones are all one element only, and give average results), but there are excellent offerings by C*non and N*kon.

I have used for many years the F70-210 with a N*kon 3T diopter, obtaining excellent results. For the kind of subject I shoot, mostly wildflowers, it was a combination that exceded what I got previously by a M100 f4 macro. By the way, the perfect flat field of a Macro lens it's useless with three dimensional subject, wile the large aperture and nice bokhe of the 77 would be a lot more useful.

Surely, for insects and small creatures works a macro lens is necessary, but for static subjects I really prefer the above combination.
At the moment, I am hunting for a FA 85 f1,4, to be my next macro lens with a C*non 500D diopter.
12-10-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathy Quote
I bought a used 77mm Limited lens today from KEH. I hope it serves me well.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely - I love mine.

I was torn between buying a macro lens in the range of 100mm and this. Finally, this awesome lens prevailed. There goes my chance to get into the world of macros. But then, I'm certain LBA will get better of me .
Save up, because macro lenses are a lot of fun as well.

I'll certainly take the new toy for an outing when it arrives. Hope to post some pictures from the lens soon.
Look forward to seeing some pics.
12-10-2006, 07:55 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Quite honestly, I've been lurking around here for a long time. During this time, I got to see some of your pictures taken with the 77mm Ltd. Combined with your immense photography talent the lens worked wonders. I knew I had to have one. Well, now I cannot blame the lenses for poor results .

Looks like until I go for a "true" macro lens, I've got several options. However, I've read in some forums that add-ons don't give you the same effect as a "true" macro - you lose sharpness, for instance. I'm sure it doesn't matter for 16x12 shots. Well, I've only gone up to 12x8. Once I get my 77mm Ltd, perhaps, I'll go for a couple of large prints.

Thanks again.