Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fungus in a brand new lens?

Have you ever seen/ heard of such a thing? I just got a Sigma 10-20mm from a reputable store (I'm not sure it's fair to mention its name, so I won't), and I'm positive I can detect the characteristic fungal pattern--small filaments--near the edge of the glass. (My ebay buying experience taught me how to use a led flashlight to investigate a lens.) The affected surface is a very thin band alongside about 1/4 or 1/5 of the circumference of the rear element--although the fungus is not immediately under the rear element. The lens has some internal dust; not a lot, but it's there. (Never seen internal dust in brand new Pentax and Tamron lenses...)

Anyway, I'm returning it tomorrow, but I'm amazed this can happen.

01-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I just got a Sigma 10-20mm from a reputable store (I'm not sure it's fair to mention its name, so I won't), and I'm positive I can detect the characteristic fungal pattern...
Why would it not be fair to mention the store?
I can only imagine that it had been stored inappropriately for a long time. Or it was a return item.

BTW, even Pentax lenses can have fungus when bought new.
01-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Why would it not be fair to mention the store?
Given the omnipresence of fungus, if this can happen in principle, it can happen anywhere (after a long period of storage).
01-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
causey Have you ever seen/ heard of such a thing? I just got a Sigma 10-20mm from a reputable store (I'm not sure it's fair to mention its name, so I won't), and I'm positive I can detect the characteristic fungal pattern--small filaments--near the edge of the glass. (My ebay buying experience taught me how to use a led flashlight to investigate a lens.) The affected surface is a very thin band alongside about 1/4 or 1/5 of the circumference of the rear element--although the fungus is not immediately under the rear element. The lens has some internal dust; not a lot, but it's there. (Never seen internal dust in brand new Pentax and Tamron lenses...)

Anyway, I'm returning it tomorrow, but I'm amazed this can happen.
What an unfortunate mess--but there can be no doubt you will get another one. Just threaten the store, to release their name here @ PF, unless you get the Red Carpet treatment--that ought to do wonders.

01-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
What an unfortunate mess--but there can be no doubt you will get another one. Just threaten the store, to release their name here @ PF, unless you get the Red Carpet treatment--that ought to do wonders.
) Ernest, I must thank you a thousand time for your advice. Superb lens! I'll get a good copy and be a happy UWA shooter!
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Given the omnipresence of fungus, if this can happen in principle, it can happen anywhere (after a long period of storage).
After a long period of inappropriate storage.

If you think fungus in a new lens is not out of the ordinary, why
  1. start a thread about it?
  2. not release the name of the store?

I could see that you didn't want to mention the store because you aren't entirely sure whether it is fungus or not, but if you just think it could happen anywhere then you wouldn't do the store a disservice by mentioning it, would you?
01-27-2011, 02:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Causey: Ernest, I must thank you a thousand time for your advice. Superb lens! I'll get a good copy and be a happy UWA shooter!
No, you get the credit--all I did was answer your questions the best I could.

I'm not going to tell you to fork over the store's name, but ClassA has a point: others may be prevented future issues with your information. Threads like this wil only help to make more educated consumers, which is a big part of this forum's role if you ask me. However, you probably have good reasons for your silence--I respect that too. Just keep us informed of the resuts.
01-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ClassA - the store has been very courteous towards me; I don't want to affect them in any way. In particular, don't want to trigger a mass hysteria about fungus in lenses from store X. It is everyone's duty to check their newly purchased lens; as long as the store's behavior is exemplary, which is the case with the one in question, there's nothing to be worried about.

I think it's hard to ensure absolutely safe storage for thousands of photo items for long intervals of time. If fungus can get on a new lens, why would it avoid this or that store's warehouse? Moreover, I think I read somewhere that, depending on the distribution of demand, stores re-distribute their stocks at the end of each quarter.

I started the thread simply because I needed to know whether I happened to get the only brand new lens with fungus. My initial google searches didn't return anything on the matter. In the meantime, however, I came across another post about a Sigma lens (a 24-70mm, if I'm not mistaken). Plus your reference to the case involving a Pentax lens, for which I thank you.

Last edited by causey; 01-27-2011 at 02:53 PM.
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If you think fungus in a new lens is not out of the ordinary, why[LIST=1]
I learned it wasn't out of the ordinary.