Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 16-45/4 or 24 prime?

I think that this has beed rumbled many times, but I'm wondering about this. I know that there are available some nice primes too, but I kind a like idea of havig a zoom...budget is quite narrow here. And I think that you can have primes later too to have in extreme situations.

So, do you have any suggestions as primes K, M, A or this zoom. I like 24 mm a lot on my kit lens. and wider. my normal shooting range is so far 20-40.

01-27-2011, 03:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which 24mm prime do you have in mind? AFAIK the only one available new is Sigma. I have bought an used FA*24 and I love it. Do it if you have the opportunity. I used DA16-45 as well and by coincidence also the Sigma 24mm. If there was no FA*24 around, I'd rather have the DA16-45 than the ugly, heavy, flaring Sigma lens
01-27-2011, 06:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You don't seem to prefer extremely wide, so I don't think the DA16-45 will offer much new to you, except perhaps slightly better build and possibly a slightly better image quality.

I think getting a 24mm would be preferable since in general using a prime is the best way to improve your photography. It's harder, but it makes you consider alternatives and angles you might not have with a zoom.

There are many second hand options for this lens, if you can find them. From the large and heavy FA*24/2 which is probably among the best optically and certainly in terms of largest aperture (f/2 vs most others having f/2.8) to cheaper and older 24/2.8 lenses. The latter exist in many forms, most manual focus iirc. Probably it's best to look for one with an A-position on the aperture ring at least, since such a lens will allow for automated metering. Personally I own a Vivitar MC24/2.8 which was much used in my early days. Nowadays I use a DA21/3.2 which has a field-of-view that I find more suitable on APS-C.

Wim
01-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The 16-45 will offer you more flexibility than a prime. A zoom also lets you think about what focal length may work best. It also has decent image quality. Used ones show up in the Marketplace for a reasonable price from time to time.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-27-2011 at 06:24 PM.
01-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

If you like 24mm FOV and think you can live without zooming and are happy to swap lenses when needed longer then I'll recommend you FA*24.
Here is what I think of it:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/123790-about-fa*24mm-al-if.html

you can't buy it new, and there are reports of bad copies, and user reviews are mixed. But if you get a good one, you'll happy, I'm sure.

Other than that, the only one you can buy new is Sigma 24/1.8 EX DG. Which is tad bigger and heavier. Seems to be good. I had a chance to compare it to FA* and it may be just as sharp if not sharper, but I didn't like the colours and as mentioned above, if flairs easier than FA*.
On used marked, well, there is a lot... SMC 24/2.8 and 24/3.5 (K series) A24/2.8, Sigma Super wide 24/2.8 AF and MF versions, and I believe there are few Vivitars.
Out of those, I've tried K24/2.8 (which has exactly the same optics as A series) and Sigma 24/2.8 AF. K24 had great colours and contrast and is nice and small lens, and Sigma is really sharp with quick AF and good close focus ability. If you search the lens forum, there is a thread about the Sigma 24/2.8 AF. Lot of people like it quite a bit...

Good luck choosing
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #6

My DA16-45 is that good I sold my Sigma 24/2.8 wihout any hasitation.
On the other hand; a small wide angle lens that is always with you makes
more good pictures than a bulky zoom wich is not always in your bag....
If I had to choose between one wide prime or a wide zoom it would be the wide zoom.
No wonder most people's lens line up consist of a combination of primes and zooms...
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for your opinion, guys!

I have had in my mind that K 24/2.8 could be nice or A 24/2.8, but I don't know about sigma. it has bad echo in my ears - I like Pentax better- . Suppose it is good, both Pentax & Sigma. My budget is only thing that is on the way here. A's has their own price and there is not so long way to DA16-45. But I like Primes too...now this FA*24 dosn't sound too bad either, it is completelly auto, so my betterhaf could use it too and it would be more like 'rational' decision too

What I see is that I use mostly +20 and sometimes 18, but it might be that my only "wide lens" is my 18-55 WR.
01-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

no reason to worry about modern Sigma product, it is excellent in my opinion. Also backed by a 10 year warranty. If you do shoot frequently at 24 the sigma 24 f1.8 that is current will give you a vary fast lens as well as a great FOV. Primes don't bother me I can frame a little with my feet if need be. the 16-45 is cheaper though (locally it is 370 vs the sigmas 550 for instance) and offers better performance than your kit lens while allowing you explore a little wider field of view and is also faster at the long end than the kit
nothing against the K or the A Pentax (i actually shoot mainly with older Pentax primes) but the Sigma is faster, AF and focuses closer (7.1" 1:2.7 macro). it is large though unlike the Pentax lenses

the 24 and 20 older primes go for a big premium because they sold a lot less of them so there are fewer on the market. the most common finds are 28 35 50 55 and 135 (200 is pretty common as well)
the fastest are in high demand and cost almost as much as the newer variants so unless you are buying them for a particular character a new lens (or a used new lens) may be the better value
the FA 24 f2.0 is supposed to be an excellent lens but picking up a used one will cost more than a new sigma by at least $100-300 based on current ebay listings
an m will cost 2-360 based on current listings
with no guarantee of them being in good shape either

BTW the 10 year is a sigma canada warranty not sure what the us warranty is
KEH who can be trusted have an FA 24 2.0 for 599 still more than a new sigma which BH has for 450

01-29-2011, 04:20 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
well, it appears that I'm primelens kind a guy . Thank you for your advises.