Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #16
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DigiMack Quote
Oh Ira, what an attitude you have. That's no way to promote LBA! If you are going to the Zoo, it's time for a Vivitar 650-1300 f/8, then you KNOW that Ape ain't gonna be too far away!
I'm totally immune to zooms kicking in my LBA. I'm going to need the new Pentax 18-135 for possible wedding/ party work...I want the Sigma 10-20 because who doesn't want an UWA...and I highly admire the Tammy 28-75 based on its range and the shots I've seen.

But LBA?

That's reserved for the 17 4 Takumar that I've been drooling over for months, the one some lucky bastard won on eBay yesterday for 200 bucks.

Unemployment has strictly curtailed my LBA.

01-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #17

to answer the original question - if i can take my whole backpack then i just take all of my lenses.

if i can't take the backpack and i don't know what i am going to shoot then i'll just take the 17-70. if it doesn't work - oh well, no biggie.

otherwise, i might just take a couple of primes if i am shooting people or just a single prime if i want to stick to that focal length the entire time.

either way, most of the time i don't regret not bringing the right lens.

not buying the right lens is a different story though. for me it's been trial and error. i started with the kit lens and some e-bay MF specials for <$50.

from there i learned what i liked and wanted and bought what i could afford.
again, from there i learned that i liked and wanted different things so i sold some lenses and bought different ones.

chances are, at some point my taste will change again so i will sell some more lenses and buy different ones. however, this happens over the course of many years so the financial burden, while there, is not so great.
01-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Modern optics are great. Highly-corrected modern optics can also cast a sameness on images. That (and budget) are what drive me to older imperfect glass.
I know exactly what you mean. Above I said I look for something that my other lenses can not do - to that end I'm now looking more and more for bokeh masters ! I've just sent an FA 50/1.4 over to England with my daughter to put it in EBay later this month - once sold I'll be buying a lovely Contax Zeiss Distagon 35/2.8 in PK mount that's sitting there just calling to me every time I walk past it !
01-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original poster's question is quite interesting. I have some silly redundancy in my lenses, but largely because on a given day I might feel like shooting with this lens or that lens. I almost always go out with only one lens; on a very rare occasion I might take two, especially if one if of fairly limited application (16mm fisheye, for instance). I know that for a nature hike the DA 35 macro and FAJ 75-300 is a good combination, but I might do just as well with an F35-70, or even just an F 135. Partly that is because I am "learning" these lenses and my camera, shooting to see what we can do as much as for any given result. And if there is any lens that I never seem to grab, well, that is a good one to sell.

01-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #20
Veteran Member

If I am going for a walk, and have to drive there, I will take the camera bag and decide when I get there, which I am taking. It usually ends up being 28/50/135. One lens on the camera and one in either jacket chest pocket for quick access. If its something more civil, like a wedding, I take the whole lot, save maybe leaving the 200 at home and replacing it with a spare body: just keep redundancy of focal lengths down and the weights not bad, especially with a fat strap on the bag.
01-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
The original poster's question is quite interesting. I have some silly redundancy in my lenses, but largely because on a given day I might feel like shooting with this lens or that lens. I almost always go out with only one lens; on a very rare occasion I might take two, especially if one if of fairly limited application (16mm fisheye, for instance). I know that for a nature hike the DA 35 macro and FAJ 75-300 is a good combination, but I might do just as well with an F35-70, or even just an F 135. Partly that is because I am "learning" these lenses and my camera, shooting to see what we can do as much as for any given result. And if there is any lens that I never seem to grab, well, that is a good one to sell.
You sell your lenses? I have always been afraid to do that, since the prices just keep going up and what if I wanted it again, right after I sold it.