Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Price of lenses in China vs North America

I will have the opportunity to ask someone to do some shopping in China in the near future. I was wondering if lenses prices were really different in China and North America. Is it worth the trouble to ask someone to purchase a lens for me there?

Inputs appreciated. Thanks!

01-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I guess cheaper than Canada and more expensive than the USA - but not always, e.g. When I bought the K7 here it was cheaper than anywhere in the USA. And I bought my K5 4 weeks ago for US$1,300.

It depends on what you want. Let me know what you are after and I'll let you know very quickly. Be aware though that lenses sold here are guaranteed here and not worldwide and a lot of those sold on-line (a few dollars cheaper than bricks & mortar) are often 'grey' imports.
01-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for your answer!

What I could be interested in are primes in the 31-70 range, or the Limiteds to put it more clearly. I don't have actual needs, since I really like my lineup, but if there's an excellent deal to be had, I might go for it.

The person is traveling to Shenzhen, for the record.
01-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm not sure something would be sold a lot cheaper in China if it is not a knock-off.

01-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I'm not sure something would be sold a lot cheaper in China if it is not a knock-off.

pretty dam hard to knock off a lens, did you see the manufacture process? you slap it on a camera and you'll know right away.
01-28-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockwork247 Quote
pretty dam hard to knock off a lens, did you see the manufacture process? you slap it on a camera and you'll know right away.
You mean you've never seen a lens labeled Pantex, Nokon, Cannon, Sonny?
01-28-2011, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
really? they fake those too? haha, yeah i haven't seen them... got to see one sometimes to get a good laugh.

01-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

got a knocked off Nokia phone ages ago which I suspect came from China. it says on the label, "MADE IN NOKIA" . what the heck? never knew NOKIA is a country.
01-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

speaking of knock-offs, there are a lot. from battery grips, memory/flash cards, bags, shirts and pants, computers/laptops, computer processors, movies, even the food is fake.

honestly,this is quite alarming. especially if quality/durability, value and health are put in jeopardy.
01-28-2011, 08:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ha ha. No, I've been here 15 years and have never seen a fake lense ..... or camera. Mobile phones sure, iPads dead easy but not lenses / cameras.
01-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

speaking of knock-offs, there are a lot. from battery grips, memory/flash cards, bags, shirts and pants, computers/laptops, computer processors, movies, even the food is fake.

honestly,this is quite alarming. especially if quality/durability, value and health are put in jeopardy.
Most of those you listed above ..... yes. But not full computers, those aren't necessary as if people want cheap then you can have a computer built to order for 2/3 price of an off-the-rack name brand. And you can't argue against the value because they sell for a fraction of the originals. Watch out for flash though, in all it's forms, it might say 250GB on the label, and again when you plug it in it'll read 250GB .... but you try putting 250GB on it and you'll be surprised when it's full at 32GB !

The mobile phones are interesting, but not usually labelled iPhone etc. but something similar, deliberate spelling mistakes to avoid being called fakes (they are called Shangzai)...... and often have even more functions that the originals ! It just goes to show that so much more could be put into these phones, for so much less money (they cost maybe 1/5 of the real thing).
01-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote

The mobile phones are interesting, but not usually labelled iPhone etc. but something similar, deliberate spelling mistakes to avoid being called fakes (they are called Shangzai)...... and often have even more functions that the originals ! It just goes to show that so much more could be put into these phones, for so much less money (they cost maybe 1/5 of the real thing).
of course, I would be happy if I can get more for a fraction of a cost of the real thing. although that more shouldn't the more that I bargained for.

as far as my experiences and findings goes with knock-off 3rd party cellphones are their poor built, poor reception, slower cpu clock speed, battery life and longevity, poor audio.

basically, I haven't come acrossed with one that I was really satisfied but rather disappointed. if I can see or get one, I would be satisfied then.
01-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That's funny. My friends in China are all asking me to buy lenses/cameras for them in the US to bring back to China. The prices in China are fairly terrible, probably on par with the prices in Australia. The Sigma 10-20mm and the 80-200mm 2.8 all cost about $300-400 more, I can't imagine the Pentax lenses being much better.

The customs in China are also pretty bad. Cameras are blocked and it often comes down to bribes and other "incentives" to bring them through. USPS will not ship any cameras to Chinese destinations.
01-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
That's funny. My friends in China are all asking me to buy lenses/cameras for them in the US to bring back to China. The prices in China are fairly terrible, probably on par with the prices in Australia. The Sigma 10-20mm and the 80-200mm 2.8 all cost about $300-400 more, I can't imagine the Pentax lenses being much better.

The customs in China are also pretty bad. Cameras are blocked and it often comes down to bribes and other "incentives" to bring them through. USPS will not ship any cameras to Chinese destinations.
Well I really don't know where to start with this post - it really is that bad and that inaccurate.

I have imported 2 cameras (SLRs) and maybe 6 or 7 lenses - no problem whatsoever, the only issue I have had is the flat fee for ANY lense (currently RMB1,200 or roughly US$180).
As for bribes - well the Customs issue their assessment and send the forms (with the exact amounts) to the Post Office which is where you go to collect parcels like this. Paid, stamped and collected with official receipts, the money paid by the Post Office is sent back to the Customs. Happily, just like with any Customs / Postal service sometimes they miss importations !

There are lots and lots of circumstances in China where bribes are paid or expected - but the importation of individual parcels is not one of them. So that's the Customs issue addressed.

Next

I really don't know where you get your information but you really need to either do even the minimum due diligence before posting such crap - or refrain completely.

The prices in China are not terrible at all, in fact in some instances they are cheaper than in the USA (same goes for cameras as I posted above). Though as I've mentioned already probably roughly equivalent to Canada's pricing due to heavy import taxation.

I would like to know where you pull a spurious figure like $300 - 400 per lense from !! Is that on a US$200 lense ? A US$500 lense ? A US$1,000 lense ? Frankly that is absolute @$%#$. Tell me a lense and I'll give the pricing .... and the proof. I'd like to see yours.

Some examples of cameras and lenses I've bought here :

Sigma 18-125 : US$265
Sigma 10-20 : US$455
Pentax 55-300 : US$ 425
Tamron 17-50/2.8 : US$415
Tamron 90 Di : US$405
Pentax K7 : US$910 (Jan 2010)
Pentax K5 : US$1,300 (Jan 2011)

The next lense on my radar is either the 60-250 (US$1,225) or the *300 (US$1,270.

all rounded up or down to the nearest US$. These are all from official outlets and are not 'grey' imports which can be had cheaper but without recourse, or a guarantee, in the event of a problem.

These are facts not unsubstantiated claims as you have posted (and I've probably posted these prices elsewhere on here (maybe not all) when I've bought them). Maybe one of two of these are higher than in the USA - I don't know, use EBay and check yourself. I do know that your claim of $300 - 400 per lense is absolutely hilarious.

Regards
Expatriate living for the last 15 years in Shanghai, China.
01-29-2011, 03:38 AM   #15
Veteran Member

of course, I would be happy if I can get more for a fraction of a cost of the real thing. although that more shouldn't the more that I bargained for.

as far as my experiences and findings goes with knock-off 3rd party cellphones are their poor built, poor reception, slower cpu clock speed, battery life and longevity, poor audio.

basically, I haven't come acrossed with one that I was really satisfied but rather disappointed. if I can see or get one, I would be satisfied then.
Can't disagree with your assessment of the knock-offs - that's why people who want the real thing don't buy them.

e.g iPhone 4 here is US$760 for a jailbroken version (or US$455 and US$305 in advanced payment on calls for a 'legal' non broken version). Compare that to a knock-off - US$60. No-one can be in any doubt what they are getting !