Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It does however have the famous sticky aperture issue.
...which when fixed under warranty is both free and permanent.
Definitely worth the hassle of sending a stuck one back for repair...

01-31-2011, 08:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for what it's worth, people won't have to worry about SDM failure with this lens.
01-31-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DPReview featured an in-depth review on this some time back. Tamron SP AF 70-200mm Di LD (IF) Macro Lens Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review I was struck by these words then:

"Indeed if we look solely at the studio optical tests, it is a resounding success, as the technical quality of the images this lens can produce is superb throughout most of the range, matching or even outperforming the much more expensive Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM."

QuoteQuote:
Farfisa: I also thought this lens had amazing IQ, but couldn't get over the fact that you had to switch between MF and AF on the body, when there's that big ol' MF/AF clutch on the lens!
Many @ our forum comment upon this, so I understand it needs to be factored into the equation. For me, I never understood the big deal. My left hand is on the body already, and instinctually, with 1 finger, raise or lower the body-focus switch, while my right hand, in unison, pushes or pulls the lens's focus clutch. It has become automatic for me--I do not think about it. I guess, if you began & only used lenses with quick shift, then moved to this, it could be annoying though. We sure are a spoiled lot.

My concern with the lens is its questionable performance indoors, where, more so in the DPreveiw review, it is thought likely to miss shots--I have a need for indoors with a lens like this.

QuoteQuote:
Ash: ...which when fixed under warranty is both free and permanent.
Definitely worth the hassle of sending a stuck one back for repair...
Yes, Bingo Ash--for someone like me, who can not dump all their spending money into photography, this tends to be a saving grace of Tamron in general, though they are not perfect of course.

Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, I would consider the Da* 50-135 or the 60-250--just for the bragging rights & esteem of Pentax glass--but SDM issues do throw a wrench into the whole equation now too.
01-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if you can do without AF, a nominal 10mm and quite a few hundred bucks to get the same IQ I can recommend the Tamron AD-2 SP 80-200/2.8. If you can find one, that is - ya ain't gettin' mine. It matches my SP 180/2.5 for IQ even with the 1.4X TC.

H2

02-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Many @ our forum comment upon this, so I understand it needs to be factored into the equation. For me, I never understood the big deal. My left hand is on the body already, and instinctually, with 1 finger, raise or lower the body-focus switch, while my right hand, in unison, pushes or pulls the lens's focus clutch. It has become automatic for me--I do not think about it. I guess, if you began & only used lenses with quick shift, then moved to this, it could be annoying though. We sure are a spoiled lot.
I only mentioned it as a difference, but you're correct, it's not really a big deal nor would I let it be a factor in deciding between the lenses (which I am still trying to do). Quick-shift is nice to have for quickly overriding the AF, but again, it's certainly not a deal breaker not to have it on the Tamron.

My concern with the lens is its questionable performance indoors, where, more so in the DPreveiw review, it is thought likely to miss shots--I have a need for indoors with a lens like this.
This is probably where the Tamron performs the least well as the AF does hunt a bit indoors and has a tendency to miss more often in less than ideal light. The new bodies seems to do better with this (K-x and K-5), but overall it is a valid concern.

Yes, Bingo Ash--for someone like me, who can not dump all their spending money into photography, this tends to be a saving grace of Tamron in general, though they are not perfect of course.

Don't get me wrong, if money was no object, I would consider the Da* 50-135 or the 60-250--just for the bragging rights & esteem of Pentax glass--but SDM issues do throw a wrench into the whole equation now too.
The Tamron is by far the best value for the money (of the 3 lenses), not just in terms of initial outlay of money, but the long warranty pretty much caps your overall ownership cost. Obviously there is a (monetary) risk to owning an SDM (out of warranty), not to mention a slightly higher initial cost (I paid $25 more for my DA*50-135 and $300 more for my DA*60-250).

EDIT: As a side note, I had my first motor failure this weekend; the windshield wiper motor on my car died. The dealer wanted $300 for a new one, plus a couple hundred more for installation. I declined that option and pulled one out of a junk yard and put it in myself for $15. Too bad Pentax won't sell us user installable SDM motors for $15 a pop - which is probably about what they actually cost Pentax.

Last edited by dgaies; 02-01-2011 at 06:04 AM.
02-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Few lenses will be 100% accurate under these conditions.
But the 70-200 has never failed me yet in low light indoor concerts. What improves the hit rate is focusing technique - looking for that spotlit high contrast point to use for autofocusing that's as close to the intended point of focus for the image is the biggest challenge, then spot metering to get the subject right is what makes it work for me to get a decent shutter speed.
02-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Quote:
Farfisa: I also thought this lens had amazing IQ, but couldn't get over the fact that you had to switch between MF and AF on the body, when there's that big ol' MF/AF clutch on the lens!

You don't even have to do all of that. Keep the lens set to MF all the time, and just make the change on the body. That makes it no different than a lot of lenses out there.

I will agree with their assessment of the close focusing IQ of this lens. I sent my first one back, as it was pretty bad. My second one is a lot better, but not perfect. One thing that caught my attention was where the lens only showed 188mm when zoomed all of the way out. That may be a result of not being focused at infinity. From Tamron:
High power zoom lenses such as 18-250 or 28-300 seem to cover angles of view wider than those covered by equivalent telephoto lenses. I suspect the focal lengths at the telephoto ends might actually be shorter than designated.

High power zoom lenses use Internal Focus (IF) systems to shorten the Minimum Focus Distance. When an IF system is used in the optical system of a lens with a wide to tele range, the magnification ratio at telephoto is shortened when you shoot closer to the MFD. When pictures are taken at a close focusing distance with a zoom lens at its telephoto end, the zoom lens covers a wider angle of view than would a fixed telephoto lens. However, since the focal length of any lens is based on the focusing distance at the infinity setting (and Tamron's high power zoom lenses provide the same angles of view as other telephoto lenses at the infinity setting), this phenomenon is not a defect or flaw in a zoom lens.
Infinity @ 200mm and f/2.8 is 220m.

Last edited by Jodokast96; 02-01-2011 at 08:25 PM.
02-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
You don't even have to do all of that. Keep the lens set to MF all the time, and just make the change on the body. That makes it no different than a lot of lenses out there.
But then there will be complaints that the focus ring spins on use.

02-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I guess. I've never really noticed it to be honest.
02-01-2011, 08:26 PM   #25
JHD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I might add, if you know how...
and have the skill to competently MF...
why would you waste time with AF in the first place?
02-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Well, if you can do without AF, a nominal 10mm and quite a few hundred bucks to get the same IQ I can recommend the Tamron AD-2 SP 80-200/2.8. If you can find one, that is - ya ain't gettin' mine. It matches my SP 180/2.5 for IQ even with the 1.4X TC.

H2
Yes, that is a good idea, one which I've been entertaining for some time. And I imagine MF on this lens is a joyous experience, one which the 70-200 can not match. What is a fair price for this lens, is excellent shape?

QuoteQuote:
Ash: Few lenses will be 100% accurate under these conditions.
But the 70-200 has never failed me yet in low light indoor concerts. What improves the hit rate is focusing technique - looking for that spotlit high contrast point to use for autofocusing that's as close to the intended point of focus for the image is the biggest challenge, then spot metering to get the subject right is what makes it work for me to get a decent shutter speed.
Good point on AF accuaracy (indoors) leaving something to be desired on all lenses. I am glad to see a thumbs up on this lens from you--your technique sounds solid. I just have to decide whether it will be the 70-200 or the Adpatall 80-200. Decisions, Decisions!!!
02-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Do you use a tripod for this? I'm trying to figure out how you have two hands free with over a kilo of glass on the end of the camera!

For me, I was using it hand-held for nature photography and just found I had to fiddle too much with the three-way selector on the body to prefocus or tweak focus, where I didn't even want to remove my eye from the finder.

I had expected the clutch to work more like the AF/MF switch on a lens, and was immediately disappointed that it didn't. So for how I shoot, the lens+body combo didn't work out for me.

Just sharing my experience though.
02-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Farfisa; Do you use a tripod for this? I'm trying to figure out how you have two hands free with over a kilo of glass on the end of the camera!
Not sure if you have read my comments, but I am considering buying this lens. For example:

QuoteQuote:
Jewelltrail: Yes, that is a good idea, one which I've been entertaining for some time. And I imagine MF on this lens is a joyous experience, one which the 70-200 can not match. What is a fair price for this lens, is excellent shape?

Whenever I used my K 300mm f4 (weight over a Kilo), I usually handheld it--though I did not use it a lot: strong PFing. And, to answer your question, yes. my left hand would still lie under the body of the camera. along with my thumb--my other 4 fingers reach out to balance the lens. My description of technique was not specific to any one lens; rather, it was a general comment on technique with all my lenses.

QuoteQuote:
farfisa: Just sharing my experience though.
Yes. that is what the forum is for--please continue. Also, my comment about the big deal made of having to flick a switch to get MF/AF, was not about you in particular, but about the frequency with which the comment appears @ PF for example:
QuoteQuote:
Jewelltrail: Many @ our forum comment upon this, so I understand it needs to be factored into the equation. For me, I never understood the big deal.
02-02-2011, 07:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Ah, sorry Jeweltrail, it sounded to me like you had the lens already.

I hadn't read your later post--I was posting at the same time, started looking through old images (*sigh*), and hit post a little while later. But I've seen them on the marketplace for about $600.

BTW, I didn't take your comment personally, I'm just elaborating my position, so it doesn't seem flippant. After reading JHD's comment--"Don't blame your handicap on the lens!"--I thought my usage might need some clarification.

Thanks for sharing your technique though--wish I still had the lens to give it a shot I was holding the lens farther up the barrel for balance, but I see how I could have worked at it more.

In the end, I replaced it with manual glass anyway.

I have considered this lens in a Sony mount. My Sony body has a button right by the right thumb to toggle the screw drive on and off, which works better for me and I've used it with lenses of similar weight with good results.

Anyway, at least I liked the images!

02-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Farfisa, no sorry needed--I didn't take anything you said in a flippant manner--not at all. I think we both are truly just expressing our gut feelings over this. I am grateful you took the time to explain all this to me.

However, I am even mre gratfeful for the fragility displayed in that awesome scene with the orange flower--poetic.