Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Got a 40mm pancake and 'ding'd' it.. Gutted!!

Managed to get a lovely m-40mm f2.8 pancake lens cheap and in great condition...

Shot with it for the last four days and loved it but today as I was climbing over a wall for a shot... I ding'd it against the wall... Lens cap was on... glass remains unscratched... but focus ring now has a 'sticky' point in its rotation and no longer smooth... as I turn it it kinda looks a little 'egg shaped'

Disgusted with my self really... and gutted!

Anything I can do? Will a good camera shop/repair centre be able to bend the ring back and make it smooth again??

01-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry and cheers to mods for moving...
01-30-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter

doh, that hurts. id take it to a local shop im sure they can make it better
01-30-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
doh, that hurts. id take it to a local shop im sure they can make it better
Was gutted... I'm stood on this wall swearing as I take the shot and 2 coppers are crossing the road to see what I'm upto... Was very nearly nightmare territory!!

01-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Was gutted... I'm stood on this wall swearing as I take the shot and 2 coppers are crossing the road to see what I'm upto... Was very nearly nightmare territory!!
If you're going to be a spy, you must be more secretive. Didn't they teach you tradecraft? Next time, use one of those 45 degree spy-eye lenses.
01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear this.

My only suggestion is to live with it or get a pro to fix it. If you try t fix it yourself you might make it much worse.

Look at it this way... this dinged lens can be your adventure lens... the second ding won't hurt nearly as bad .
01-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wonder what is the average price for this old pancake. There is one on local ad asking for $125. I'd rather pay $340 for DA40.
01-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I wonder what is the average price for this old pancake. There is one on local ad asking for $125. I'd rather pay $340 for DA40.
That is at the low end of the Ebay "buy it now" prices. Whether the DA40 is a better option depends upon what you will be doing with the lens. If you will be using it only on a DSLR, then by all means, get the DA40. It is worth the diff. as it is smaller, sharper and autofocus. However, if you will be using the lens on a film body, the DA40 may be a total "no-go" if the body is prior to the "A" series, and much less convenient for other film bodies as aperture control can be limited on the "P" bodies.

01-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
I missed 3 on ebay that went between 80 and 120 GBP... Got mine from a small independant stored after ringing a bunch... 60 ish... WAS in lovely condition til todays incident!!
01-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Most filter ring dings are easy to repair. I have use the following method successfully many times.
  1. Place end of lens barrel ding-side down on firm semicircular surface that conforms roughly to same.
    Make sure end of lens barrel directly beneath filter threads is supported.
  2. Place end of a long thin wooden dowel directly on dented inside filter threads.
  3. Hold dowel nearly perpendicular, without touching front lens element.
  4. Using a small hammer make repeated small blows to top of dowel.
Examine filter thread between blows, and reposition dowel slightly to achieve a uniform round shape.
Stop when it looks good and a filter screws on and off easily. Congratulations, you have fixed your lens!

Tips:

You may want to enlist the aid of another person to hold the lens steady,
as this technique requires approximately three hands.

We use wood because it is soft and won't further damage the filter threads.
A wooden paint stirrer split to a narrow width at the working end works better than a dowel.
Best of all most paint stores give these away free of charge.

A black permanant marker (e.g. Sharpie) can be used to touch up small areas of chipped paint.

Of course this method cannot be used on plastic lenses, but should work fine on yours. Good luck!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 01-30-2011 at 04:36 PM.
01-30-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The sticky focus ring sounds like you have an impact ding. I did the same exact thing on a K50/1.2 once. Eric Hendrickson repaired it to like-new for me. Send your lens to Eric for a free evaluation and quote - or email him first to ensure he will fix it. It won't be free, but it will be less than another M40/2.8

Pentax Camera Service - Eric Hendrickson
01-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter

If your lens is not dinged but merely "egged" a small strap wrench could probably restore its original circular shape.
Use a layer of cloth to prevent scratches to the paintwork.

Chris
01-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The M40/2.8 is particularily vulnerable to that kind of damage. On just about any other lens, you'd hit the filter threads first. On the M40, the filter threads barely protrude beyond the focus ring and are well inside it. That's why having the cap on didn't help. Without much metal on the focus ring, it can be easily pushed out of shape. I have a lens that's in very similar shape, and I haven't made it much better using techniques described above. To adjust the focus ring, it's best to remove it first. The lens is built about the same as the M50/1.7, so that's not that hard: remove the "name" trim ring, three screws remove the filter ring, three screws (red arrows) hold on the focus ring.

02-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Eric Hendrickson repaired it to like-new for me
I keep seeing positive endorsment regarding his work... Unfortunately... Wrong continent..

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Stop when it looks good and a filter screws on and off easily
There is no problem with the filter thread... Just the now 'lumpy' movement of the focus ring...

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If your lens is not dinged but merely "egged" a small strap wrench could probably restore its original circular shape.
Really struggling to work out what a 'strap wrench' is? It's possible we in the UK have another word for this tool as the US abandonded the Queens English many moons ago! LOL... Any chance of a link to a picture of this tool ChrisPlatt?

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The M40/2.8 is particularily vulnerable to that kind of damage. On just about any other lens, you'd hit the filter threads first. On the M40, the filter threads barely protrude beyond the focus ring and are well inside it. That's why having the cap on didn't help. Without much metal on the focus ring, it can be easily pushed out of shape. I have a lens that's in very similar shape, and I haven't made it much better using techniques described above. To adjust the focus ring, it's best to remove it first. The lens is built about the same as the M50/1.7, so that's not that hard: remove the "name" trim ring, three screws remove the filter ring, three screws (red arrows) hold on the focus ring.
I'm don't think I feel very confident about disasembling the lens my self... Will keep this as a last resort but cheers mate...
02-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
Forum Member

A strap wrench is a tool much like an old oil filter wrench - a strap is used, that wraps around the object, and is tightened to the handle. As you apply pressure to loosen the item, the strap actually gets tighter - insuring it doesn't loosen.

If you put the cam portion of the handle on the bulged part of the ring, you might be able to push it in a bit, which would cause the other areas to push out, and possibly bring it back to it's original shape.

There are other styles as well