Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I am just so sick of reading sarcastic, pointless remarks like that on here.
Actually, it's not pointless. I'm sure quite a few of the people including myself who read this thread thought to themselves, Oh... yet another post about someone thinking of switching to *** company as they might save a few bucks or their *** feature might be slightly better for whatever they are trying to do. It's also funny how these people post in brand specific forums and expect lavish and loving responses.

Frankly, he has quality glass in the Pentax mount (some of the best 35mm glass out there... the 43 and 77mm limited) and I really can't understand why he would switch systems over a few hundred dollars. The D7000 in the USA is designed to give the finger to the K-5. Nikon probably set their profit ratio pretty low on the model to sway people such as the original poster.

My point is that the person's response was direct yet valid. If the guy wants to switch he should just do it. He will probably also find out there are positives and negatives to each system besides how much each piece of kit costs and what glass is available. Having a professional level camera of the size of a K-5 is worth a few hundred extra in itself. Not to mention other aspects like in-body stabilization. The OP just needs to figure out what is most important and go from there. That can be done by looking at data sheets and visiting Nikon's website to see what lenses they sell.

01-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am just so sick of reading sarcastic, pointless remarks like that on here. If you're about 14, I imagine you'll grow out of it. But perhaps not; you're just displaying a behavior that the web seems to amplify in some people.

If your intention was just to kill the thread, perhaps you'll succeed; I know you've used up my last ounce of patience with any kind of fanboy cr*p for the day. Good luck to the OP in getting any courteous, useful replies.

(Edit: apologies to those who have in fact left courteous, useful replies.)

A good alternative to the DA21 ltd imo: the 20mm Nikkor f2.8 AIS. Provided you can manage without autofocus. Works great on my K7.

maybe you should read my other post friend, because now you're sounding like a troll.. =[
01-30-2011, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

If you are going to replace your premium Pentax primes with budget Nikon offerings, yes, you will save money.

I could buy M versions of those lens and save even more money... some things are worth the extra coin.

Nikon makes exceptional lenses, but they aren't the ones you listed, and they come with exceptional price tags.

Also note that the K5 has image stabilization, while the Nikon does not, and those primes are not stabilized. Might help account for some of the price difference between bodies.
01-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentup, thanks for your support. I don't understand the irritation at a simple question: has anyone tried both systems and are they able to comment on the price to quality ratio?

Someone here is just as likely to know as someone at a similar Nikon site.

Sjwaldron and Eagle_friends, I'm hardly going to sell up all my gear on a whim.

I think its sensible to conduct research/ask questions before making such a big decision.

There appears to be a dramatic price difference between the Pentax/Nikon bodies (with similar features) and primes (similar focal distances and apertures).

Thank you to all the positive responses.

01-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by heasley Quote
There appears to be a dramatic price difference between the Pentax/Nikon bodies (with similar features) and primes (similar focal distances and apertures).
Did you notice the comments about the quality of the lenses? You are comparing apples to oranges. They have different prices, for sure.

Also, you don't seem to have found the best price for the K-5 yet. Pro Digital had it for $1399.99. Remember that the K-5 will stabilise all your lenses, where as all the budget Nikon primes will not be stabilised.
01-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I am just so sick of reading sarcastic, pointless remarks like that on here. If you're about 14, I imagine you'll grow out of it. But perhaps not; you're just displaying a behavior that the web seems to amplify in some people.

If your intention was just to kill the thread, perhaps you'll succeed; I know you've used up my last ounce of patience with any kind of fanboy cr*p for the day. Good luck to the OP in getting any courteous, useful replies.

(Edit: apologies to those who have in fact left courteous, useful replies.)

A good alternative to the DA21 ltd imo: the 20mm Nikkor f2.8 AIS. Provided you can manage without autofocus. Works great on my K7.
+1

That comment was just plain rude.
01-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Did you notice the comments about the quality of the lenses? You are comparing apples to oranges. They have different prices, for sure.

Also, you don't seem to have found the best price for the K-5 yet. Pro Digital had it for $1399.99. Remember that the K-5 will stabilise all your lenses, where as all the budget Nikon primes will not be stabilised.
I was justifying my queary.

I understand the price/quality ratio much better thanks to all the kind responses. And will certainly hold off crossing over to Nikon.

In relation to prices. I am from Australia and the prices I quoted are the cheapests prices for both bodies.

01-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heasley Quote
I have enjoyed Pentax for a few years now. I initially perservered with the 18-55 kit lens until relatively recently I began to splurge on some nice primes.

I currently have the FA 50mm f/1.4, FA 43mm f/1.9 limited, FA 77mm f/1.8 limited, the Sigma 20mm f/1.8 EX, and the kit lens. I currently have the K-x to carry me over until my upgrade.

I was looking to upgrade to the k-5. I have suddenly realised I can get the Nikon D7000 for about $400 less (K-5 cost $1650 and the D7000 cost $1250).

I then started looking at Nikon primes. This is when my jawreally dropped. I canpurchase the following Nikkor lenses for around $800: 35mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8 and 85mm 1.8 (the price of a single 77mm limited).

So for around $2000 I could go Nikon. I could sell my current gear for more then this.

Are the Pentax primes worth staying with Pentax?
Pentax doesn't seem to do budget lenses any more, preferring to sell upscale (and probably more profitable) lenses.
I came to Pentax via Nikon because of the lenses. I like the look of the pictures I get from Pentax glass more than what I got from my Nikkor lenses.

Pentax glass tends to have more resistance to flare in my experience, though I will admit my experience may be a bit dated and anecdotal more than anything.

I'm sure the budget Nikkors are good, though I'd be surprised if they are better than the Pentax LTD lenses of similar focal lengths.
Lenses don't work on a direct quality to price correlation though, so a lens that is twice as expensive will not often be twice as good.
I think it's called the law of diminishing returns.
01-30-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Pentax doesn't seem to do budget lenses any more, preferring to sell upscale (and probably more profitable) lenses.
I agree with everything else you said, but the new DA L 35/2 is a budget lens, isn't it?
Pentax hasn't anything like this in the immediate past but maybe the DA L 35/2 is just the start?

I'm still angry with Pentax for having made the FA 50/1.4 so bl**dy expensive. At the old price it was a great recommendation for every beginner.
01-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #25
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Abstract Quote
That comment was just plain rude.
No, it wasn't. It was polite and to the point. The OP spoke his mind and he was encouraged to follow it - what's rude in that?
01-31-2011, 01:08 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
No, it wasn't. It was polite and to the point. The OP spoke his mind and he was encouraged to follow it - what's rude in that?
Guess our definition of the word "Polite" differs. He asked a question based on what was best for him, that response was just telling him to go bug off. It was rude in my opinion, do you have to agree? No...you don't, thats why its called an opinion and obviously I was not the only one who thought this way about that response.
01-31-2011, 01:38 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Its tempting to use impolite language to describe your logic or lack thereof.

I asked a very simple question. I didn't make any judgement regarding pentax equipment. I simply pointing out two completely objective points:

(1) The D7000 is $400 cheaper than the K-7 (in Australia)
(2) Some Nikkor prime lenses are drastically cheaper than the similar focal length and speed FA limiteds.

I then asked if Pentax primes were worth staying with pentax for.

Where I come from to answer that question with: "if you're sitting there wondering whether pentax prime are worth its price, you should probably go nikon and enjoy their lenses" is not only rude but illogical.

When anyone with limited funds spends a lot of money on a specific lens system they invariably will wonder whether the grass is greener (especially given the 2 points stated above).

Last edited by heasley; 01-31-2011 at 02:00 AM.
01-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #28
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I looked at this thread couple of days back and wow, has it developed...

@OP:
I found out (through my own experience) that threads like these are of no use.. It doesn't really matter who says what here, at the end of the day it's your decision.
You know, some may say you have great lens in xy and some may say you'd be better off with ab, what matters is what you like...
K-5 is SR and WR, D7000 is definitely not SR and I ain't sure about WR. Do you like pictures you are getting with your current glass? Do you think you could get similar/same results with other/cheaper lenses? The point is, if you see two shots next to each other, one with FA43 and one with 35/1.8G and you can't tell the difference then why not to switch... It's all matter of personal expectations, tastes and reasoning...

If you want to stay with Pentax and save few bucks, keep 77, sell FA50 and FA43, get DA L35/2.4 and track down used F/FA50/1.7... Then you'd save and have just about the equivalent of the Nikkor line up you are looking at...

I thought of switching systems many times, so why I'm staying? Size/performance ratio, SR and backwards compatibility. In these respects I think Pentax still wins...

@others:
I think we are all entitled to express our opinions, and ways we do so just reflects our ways. Personaly I don't think the reply in question was rude but nor was it constructive IMO...
01-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Colleagues in my office's photo club shooting Nikon constatnly tell me they lust after Pentax glass because the Nikon primes dissapoint them. You are comparing top of the line Pentax primes with "mid-range" Nikon glass. Of course the price comparison isn't fair.
01-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
The constructive responses given have been extremely helpful.

I love my FA limited lenses and will stick with Pentax on the majority advice that they are notch above the Pentax consumer primes.

Thank you everyone who gave feedback. It is much appreciated.
Closed Thread