Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ita/swiss
Posts: 270
sigma vs sigma, pls advice

hello ,

I would like your own advice, I need a lens for travel, but of excellent quality.
I have discarded the 70-200, because I find them short 200 mm,

I thought of the Sigma 100-300 f / 4 or the Sigma APO 120-400.

Who can give me an opinion? 'advice?

I find that having AF 400 is not bad, but I prefer a 300 sharp and beautiful colors that a 400mm which is worth

Thanks to all.

simon

01-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member
OrenMc's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,902
The Sigma 100-300/4 is an exceptional lens. Sharp wide open and and if you added the 1.4x teleconverter you would have a 420mm @ 5.6, same as the sigma 120-400.
I haven't tried the Sigma 120-400 so I can't really comment about the IQ but I still have to say I think the 100-300 would best it with the TC added.
I have used the 100-300 with the Tamron MC4 1.4x and there is VERY LITTLE IQ degradation. I have used the Sigma 1.4x also but I liked the Tamron better. The Tamron is cheaper nowdays also and can be used with SDM and HSM lenses.

Good luck though finding the 100-300 as it is dicontinued and rare on the used market. If you can get your hands on one get it.

I only sold mine to get the 300/2.8.

Last edited by OrenMc; 01-31-2011 at 05:14 AM.
01-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
definitely sigma 100-300.
01-30-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,296
Sigma 100-300 f/4 is considered an exceptional lens.

01-31-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ita/swiss
Posts: 270
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
The Sigma 100-300/4 is an exceptional lens. Sharp wide open and and if you added the 1.4x teleconverter you would have a 420mm @ 5.6, same as the sigma 120-400.
I haven't tried the Sigma 120-400 so I can't really comment about the IQ but I still have to say I think the 100-300 would best it with the TC added.
I have used the 100-300 with the Tamron MC4 1.4x and there is VERY LITTLE IQ degradation. I have used the Sigma 1.4x also but I liked the Tamron better. The Tamron is cheaper nowdays also and can be used with SDM and HSM lenses.

Good luck though finding the 100-300 as it is dicontinued and rare on the used market. If you can get your hands on one get it.

I only sold mine to get the 300/2.8.

Hello, thank you for your info,
I know it's hard to find a lens, but I hope to be lucky.

I already have the Pentax 300 f / 2.8, as A stars.
I also found a 300FA star, but I'm about to give up, that's because I prefer to have a lens more practical to carry around, maybe all day.
I know the AF 300 is more practical than mine, but survive.

At Tc, I had made the remarks.

hello thanks
01-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ita/swiss
Posts: 270
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
definitely sigma 100-300.
QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Sigma 100-300 f/4 is considered an exceptional lens.
thank you for your answers, I know that the 100-300 is great.

But I can not find info on the 120-400, I want good pictures of tests.

hello thanks
01-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 84
Sigma 100-300. I don't know why it is discontinued, but it is nearly impossible to find because happy owners like me will never let it go! I'm sure that Sigma will come out with a new version in due course.
01-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
this might help

Sigma 100-300 mm f/4 DG EX APO IF HSM review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

versus

Sigma 120-400 mm f/4.5-5.6 APO DG OS HSM review - Image resolution - Lenstip.com

02-03-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ita/swiss
Posts: 270
Original Poster
Wow..
very tkx
02-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,360
I have not use 100-300, but now owning 2 versions of 120-400 (non-OS and OS). Both are heavy, so I woundn't travel with these. Portraiture range 135-320 is covered by this lens. Sharp enought to enlarge the short edge to 22-24 inches on photo books. IMO, 400 is not as bad either.
02-03-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
Here is a link to a discussion and photos from the 120-400mm at steves digicams:

Steves 120-400mm K mount OS discussion

I've had mine for several weeks, but the weather hasn't been cooperating so I haven't had a chance to put to any good use yet.
02-03-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Mike.P's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Coast .. UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,734
100-300mm f4 ... absolutely cracking lens.

K20D.



And with Sigma 2x Teleconverter (600mm) Handheld.

K10D.

02-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ita/swiss
Posts: 270
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I have not use 100-300, but now owning 2 versions of 120-400 (non-OS and OS). Both are heavy, so I woundn't travel with these. Portraiture range 135-320 is covered by this lens. Sharp enought to enlarge the short edge to 22-24 inches on photo books. IMO, 400 is not as bad either.
I was thinking about me too,
only that I have a defect, I always try the best lenses and I know for sure that a better IQ at 100-300.

then the 100-300 is f / 4 constant.
Please come to 120 400mm fine that may be convenient for photo hunting

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Here is a link to a discussion and photos from the 120-400mm at steves digicams:

Steves 120-400mm K mount OS discussion

I've had mine for several weeks, but the weather hasn't been cooperating so I haven't had a chance to put to any good use yet.
sin, it would help me...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
100-300mm f4 ... absolutely cracking lens.

K20D.



And with Sigma 2x Teleconverter (600mm) Handheld.

K10D.
beautiful pictures congratulations

multiplied by 2x, as is IQ?
is usable at f / 4 for A4 prints?

hello thanks
02-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,786
I've posted these photos before in the thread on the 120-400

Click here to see the whole thread..

Or just my last post..

QuoteQuote:
Well, long story short, my non OS version was defective, wouldn't focus anywhere near infinity, not bad for within 30 feet. SO took it back and ended up with the OS version.

So , I've got samples.

The first one is at 400 mm of a structure 1 km (more than half a mile) away. Myabe you can get sharper, but I'm not sure how. It was taken on the tripod with a 2 second delay to prevent mirror shake.



The next one is of a couple guys on skidoos maybe 300 meters away, probably a bit more, auto focus, in lens OS turned on hand held. I'm shooting through trees and stuff, I don't know how it could be any better at that distance.



The last one is also hand held, full reach (400mm) in lens OS enabled and hand focused. The lens kept focussing on the wire instead of the bird in auto focus. Nothing wrong with this one either.

The question is, do you want 400mm or don't you? The stats on the posted links show that the 100-300 has better numbers overall. But what does that mean in actual image quality? And the 120-400 goes to 400.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, k-mount, pentax lens, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 100-300 f4. Sigma 1.4 Teleconvertor. Sigma UV filter. Cases, Caps, Box & garethwebber Sold Items 3 12-03-2010 03:05 AM
sigma teleconvertor advice. chopper70 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 09-16-2010 07:09 AM
Advice on Sigma lens Misty Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 03-04-2009 09:20 AM
Sigma lens help pls Bokeh Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 04-24-2008 11:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top