Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's a bee in your bonnet if ever I saw one!
"Nothing notable is ever accomplished by a reasonable person."

I think RA Heinlein wrote that, so it must be true.

01-31-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Rio Rico: Ah yes grasshopper, you are very perceptive. The proper number of lenses to own in any focal-length group is the focal number of that group. Thus we must own 20 twenty's, 50 fifty's, 100 hundreds, etc.

I loved that David Carradine show---btw, nobody woulld have been caught dead using words like these in that show--no enlightened being, that is--no way Rico.

QuoteQuote:
krp Thanks for your replies everyone. Jewel I usually take a ton of 30 second pictures of the stars and put them together to avoid DFS, so that's why a faster lens would be beneficial. I haven't heard much about the that 24-135 lens. I think I would rather have wider than longer though.
Kevin--one more thing, the 24-135 is built like a tank, even better than the 17-50--it has a nicely dampened focus ring too--The 17-50 is built better than I need though.
02-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #18
krp
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well I just pulled the trigger and bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I found a good deal on ebay and it cost only $298.
02-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't get better value for money than that. Enjoy the lens.

02-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Well I just pulled the trigger and bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I found a good deal on ebay and it cost only $298.
Congratulations and enjoy

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ah yes grasshopper, you are very perceptive. The proper number of lenses to own in any focal-length group is the focal number of that group. Thus we must own 20 twenty's, 50 fifty's, 100 hundreds, etc.
LBA we must; all others eat dust.
I might be able to find threehunderd 300mm lenses but where the hell do I find thousand 1000mm lenses.
02-10-2011, 02:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I might be able to find threehunderd 300mm lenses but where the hell do I find thousand 1000mm lenses.
Probably in a warehouse in Kiyev, eh?
02-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
krp
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I got my lens in 4 days with free shipping from Japan. It's used but it looks completely new. I'm noticing a ff/bf problem. I'm wondering/hoping that it's a problem with my K-x because then I can fix it myself in debug menu. This is my fastest af lens and I haven't taken that many close up shots before so maybe I'm just noticing it more now with the Tamron having a shallower dof? Testing my kit lens it does seem to front focus a little at the long end and back focus some on the wide end. It's the same with the Tamron but it's more pronounced presumably because of less dof. Does this sound possible or did I test it wrong? I shot a ruler on a table at a 45 degree angle on a tripod with mirror lockup and a remote. I also made sure the focus point was aligned exactly at 15 cm on the ruler. I really want to keep this lens. The ebay shop has had great service and they have a 7 day return policy that says they will exchange it if the buyer pays return shipping. If I try the debug menu is it risky?
Thanks for your help.
02-12-2011, 08:29 PM   #23
krp
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I may have fixed with an adjustment of +60 in debug mode. I'll have to do more testing tomorrow to be sure.