Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2011, 12:16 AM   #16

Original Poster
I just inspected my DA* 55 hood under the light and it is covered in little hairs and dust. Is there an alternative lens hood that pentax is now making for these lenses minus the felt? I will email them about it now and post the response if no one knows

01-31-2011, 12:24 AM   #17

Original Poster
Just found this older thread.... here is an excerpt..

"... maybe they only want to make it a little bit cheaper to produce: without velvet inside like the one from DA * 200 or the one from DA * 300"

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/105390-da*-55mm-1-4-le...continued.html
01-31-2011, 05:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Ok I'll retract my editorial comment about dubious postings.

Here are my facts. I have inspected the three DA* lenses that I own. All were purchased new within the last one to three years. They are the 16-50, 50-135 and 300.

None have felt in the lens hood. All three have the same sprayed on plastic anti-reflective coating that I tested and reported about in my earlier post. This coating is easy to clean by washing with soap and water, and drying with a micro fiber cloth and/or compressed air. I tried it.

By the way, all three lenses are fabulously sharp and I have not yet experienced a SDM motor failure. The 16-50 is a bit sluggish when not used for a while, but perks up when exercised. The other two are fine. The only complaint I have is that the 50-135 and 300 are big and heavy.

Since I am still a new member, I have not yet figured out how to post photos on this forum and would appreciate directions on how to do that. I have samples that I can share from all three lenses.
02-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
I just inspected my DA* 55 hood under the light and it is covered in little hairs and dust. Is there an alternative lens hood that pentax is now making for these lenses minus the felt? I will email them about it now and post the response if no one knows
Maybe your hood is indeed covered with hair and dust - lots of them - so many that it appears like felt :ugh:

02-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
Maybe your hood is indeed covered with hair and dust - lots of them - so many that it appears like felt :ugh:
Hmm, perhaps your hood needs a shave.

My DA*55 hood is lined with felt too. 16-50 is just a matte plastic. I'd thought the DA*55 was different to give it a premium feel.

Hadn't thought about mildew or anything like that. DA* stuff should be machine washable.

Maybe it's a synthetic, mini astro-turf that's easy to wash.

You try yours first! Mine's remarkably clean at the moment. I'm bringing it to Mexico though, so I'll report back.
02-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
The only complaint I have is that the 50-135 and 300 are big and heavy.
And the 16-50 is not heavy? I usually carry the same kit, and the weight is killing my neck. Fortunately, my 300 is the F* 300 which is 200g lighter than the DA* 300.

Anyway, back on topic, the DA* 16-50 and 50-135 don't have felt on the hoods, I have felt them.
02-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #22

Original Poster
The zooms have the petal hoods, and the felt seems to only be used on the prime hoods (though according to Foxhead not all the prime hoods, so this might have been changed at some point as mentioned earlier)
02-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry too much about fungus from the hood. I mean, wash it off and let it dry. There are fungus spores EVERYWHERE already, it's basically just a crapshoot as to whether it will grow on your lens. Storing the lens in decent dry conditions is the best thing to do...

03-07-2011, 11:39 PM   #24
Site Supporter

My 35mm f2.8 macro ltd. also has a felt-like material in the inside surface of the integral lens hood, and I'm not a fan. I think this material may be shedding as I frequently have to clean lots of little-bitty fibers off of my UV filter... Of course it could be fibers transferred from my jeans pocket to the lens via the lens cap, but I don't notice it with my other lenses. Guess I'll have to test the system one of these days...
03-08-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
My 35mm f2.8 macro ltd. also has a felt-like material in the inside surface of the integral lens hood, and I'm not a fan. I think this material may be shedding as I frequently have to clean lots of little-bitty fibers off of my UV filter... Of course it could be fibers transferred from my jeans pocket to the lens via the lens cap, but I don't notice it with my other lenses. Guess I'll have to test the system one of these days...
Possibly it is the felt from the inner surface hood scraping on the knurled edge of the UV filter which is causing it to come off in itty bitty bits.

I suppose it depends on the brand of filter your are using, I use B+W which have tiny knurlings, and only occasionly use a polariser or ND.

The UV filter not only damages your image quality but it might be damaging your in-built lenshood also. My advice, take it off, throw it away. (or put it away somewhere you wont find it).
03-08-2011, 10:07 AM   #26
Site Supporter

All the FA* are felt lined...

QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Just noticed this, that the DA* 55, 200, and 300 are lined with felt on the inside. Is this because light could reflect off plastic surfaces? My concern is that these are supposed to be all weather lenses, and seems like a fully plastic/rubber hood would be a lot better for getting wet and muddy and then washing off than felt, which I would think would mildew and deteriorate quickly, holding fungus close to your lens. All the other lenses are all plastic....so what gives with the felt? And is this a potential issue for trips where it can't be fully washed and dried regularly?
some types of felt are resistant to mold and mildew, esp. if they're made from man made fibres (polyester, etc.). Don;'t know what the Pentax ones are made of, but I'm sure it won't be a problem if you dry them off properly.

Cheers,
Cameron
03-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Now that I have a DA* 55mm, I can say that the hood is different than the DA* 300mm one.

The 300mm has some type of paint, whereas the 55mm has actual felt material.

Why Pentax opted to use felt on a weather resistant lens hood... It's tough to say. Maybe they thought the lens would be used in a studio for portraits more than being used outside in the elements.