Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #1

Pentax lines it's Da* prime lens hoods with felt??

Just noticed this, that the DA* 55, 200, and 300 are lined with felt on the inside. Is this because light could reflect off plastic surfaces? My concern is that these are supposed to be all weather lenses, and seems like a fully plastic/rubber hood would be a lot better for getting wet and muddy and then washing off than felt, which I would think would mildew and deteriorate quickly, holding fungus close to your lens. All the other lenses are all plastic....so what gives with the felt? And is this a potential issue for trips where it can't be fully washed and dried regularly?

01-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Just noticed this, that the DA* 55, 200, and 300 are lined with felt on the inside. Is this because light could reflect off plastic surfaces? My concern is that these are supposed to be all weather lenses, and seems like a fully plastic/rubber hood would be a lot better for getting wet and muddy and then washing off than felt, which I would think would mildew and deteriorate quickly, holding fungus close to your lens. All the other lenses are all plastic....so what gives with the felt? And is this a potential issue for trips where it can't be fully washed and dried regularly?
Hi Loren.

If this is like the "felt" liner inside the Carl-Zeiss hoods - I have the 85/1.4 ZK - I have a name for that: dust and other such small particles magnets.

I would imagine that it could reduce light reflection to some degree, but it is also a real bummer to keep clean.

I also have a couple of DA* lenses and the hoods are all plastic. Fine with me.

JP
01-30-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Loren E Quote
Yes, it is a coating with properties of felt on the inside (I suspect some type of rubber paint or at least very very thin sheet of felt). I have not had any issues with my DA* 300mm one yet. I have had dust on the inside before, but after it is dry I just brushed it out.
01-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Have a tamron with hood lined in like manner, literature refers to it as "felt flocking"
clean mine with low tack masking tape.

01-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Forum Member

Loren, Where did you get this information? I have just inspected my DA*300 and there is no felt! There is however a durable matte coating that appears to have been sprayed on. I know its durable because I tried to scratch it with my finger nail and couldn't dent it. I also ran water over the filter opening cover and the coating did not absorb water. I rubbed a paper tissue on the damp coating and it left particles that were easily blown off with canned air. I'm starting to become annoyed by the bulk of misinformation, panic and unfounded rumors that keep flying around this forum. Please check your facts before firing off dubious postings.

And jp, you chimed right in to support the false claim with out any first hand knowledge. Geez!
01-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
Loren, Where did you get this information? I have just inspected my DA*300 and there is no felt! There is however a durable matte coating that appears to have been sprayed on. I know its durable because I tried to scratch it with my finger nail and couldn't dent it. I also ran water over the filter opening cover and the coating did not absorb water. I rubbed a paper tissue on the damp coating and it left particles that were easily blown off with canned air. I'm starting to become annoyed by the bulk of misinformation, panic and unfounded rumors that keep flying around this forum. Please check your facts before firing off dubious postings.

And jp, you chimed right in to support the false claim with out any first hand knowledge. Geez!
Foxhead, before you get so riled up with accusations of "firing off dubious postings" below is my evidence....

1) I recently purchased a DA* 55 and the lens hood is indeed lined with felt on the inside
2) Here is a quote from a review from "Digital Camera Review", what I thought was a credible source that provided a good review, of your very own DA* 300....

"Pentax
includes a large, thickly built lens hood with the DA* 300mm. It's a nice addition to this kit, with enough size to be useful in flare control. The interior of the hood is lined with felt"

Here is a link to that review...

Pentax DA* 300mm f/4 Lens Review

So I do not know whether Pentax has since changed this about their DA* prime lens hoods or why exactly you have a hood that is not lined with felt, but before you accuse me of contributing to the misinformation often found on the boards let's calm down here and do a little research because although I am an amateur I do do my research and do not contribute to hysteria with misinformation.

And by the way, no need for a cheap shot at JP, even if I was the dubious posting hysteria loving type that you suggest, JP said "IF it is like" in regard to a non pentax lens he has and clarified that his DA* lenses (which I assume to be zooms) do not have felt.
01-30-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Man, get worked up much?

01-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Foxhead:

Maybe you read me wrong: I said that IF this is like the Zeiss lens hood coating ... my first hand (reported) experience with this likely similar stuff is from the Zeiss lens ... I did not pretend to have the same experience with the new DA* hoods coating.

No need to get all upset here.

Cheers.

JP
JP
01-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
And by the way, no need for a cheap shot at JP, even if I was the dubious posting hysteria loving type that you suggest, JP said "IF it is like" in regard to a non pentax lens he has and clarified that his DA* lenses (which I assume to be zooms) do not have felt.
Thanks Loren.

Glad someone is setting this straight.

I'd better stop writing provocative comments.

Cheers!

JP
01-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Have a tamron with hood lined in like manner, literature refers to it as "felt flocking"
clean mine with low tack masking tape.
That's a good idea ... gotta try that on the Zeiss lens hood!
Thanks.

JP
01-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The hood that came with my FA 43 is felt lined, but my DA*300 is nothing like that. Seems more like plastic. Either way, I think the main point of any DA* lens is not how weather-resistant the hood is, right?
01-30-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Just the facts ma'am:

I have used 2 DA*300's and still own one. Neither had any felt in the hood but I can't claim Pentax didn't make a recent change.

My A*400/2.8 actually DOES have a felt-like material lining the stovepipe sized hood.

The DA15mm LTD has the well known felt lined lens cap.

Thanks ma'am for the useless information. You are free to go.
01-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Just the facts ma'am:

I have used 2 DA*300's and still own one. Neither had any felt in the hood but I can't claim Pentax didn't make a recent change.

My A*400/2.8 actually DOES have a felt-like material lining the stovepipe sized hood.

The DA15mm LTD has the well known felt lined lens cap.

Thanks ma'am for the useless information. You are free to go.
Who is "ma'am"? I'm confused as to who you are referring to....

QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
The hood that came with my FA 43 is felt lined, but my DA*300 is nothing like that. Seems more like plastic. Either way, I think the main point of any DA* lens is not how weather-resistant the hood is, right?
my concern with an all weather lens and a felt lined hood is that I want to take this lens into the elements and felt seems like it would hold onto any drops of mud and later turn them into a lot of dust and the felt, if gotten wet, would likely stay wet for a long time and could form mildew or fungus, which could potentially spread to the lens. Not speaking from any scientific point of view, just my concerns. I'd rather have a lining that is matte rubber that I could easily just rinse off if it got mud inside it and would dry very quickly.

Other Pentax DA* prime owners, what does yours have? Sounds like there was a change implemented at some point....
01-30-2011, 10:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Sigh........."Just the facts Ma'am" is an old cops and robbers line from TV.

When you have to explain a joke, it wasn't well told or funny to begin with. I bombed on this one. Sorry. .
01-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Sigh........."Just the facts Ma'am" is an old cops and robbers line from TV.

When you have to explain a joke, it wasn't well told or funny to begin with. I bombed on this one. Sorry. .
Joe Friday from Dragnet. I got the joke.