Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Filter for my new lens??

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've never bought a lens before and I'm not sure which filter I should buy. I know it needs 62mm which is different from the kit lenses 52mm...

I don't really think I need anything special to come out of the filter besides protection unless you guys can suggest something.

It's a telephoto lens (70-300 f/4-5.6) and it has 1:2 macro, and macro is something that interests me a lot. If the price is right I may buy a cheaper filter for protection and a bit more expensive cool effect filter.

Anything you guys can suggest for such a lens? Thanks!

10-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hoya 62mm UV filter buy it now, $9.00 US through eek bay
eBay.ca: NEW! SEALED In Green Box HOYA UV LENS FILTER 62 62mm (item 280159824376 end time 11-Oct-07 11:59:09 EDT)
I have one on one of my lenses and it does the job. I paid a lot more.
10-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I've never bought a lens before and I'm not sure which filter I should buy. I know it needs 62mm which is different from the kit lenses 52mm...

I don't really think I need anything special to come out of the filter besides protection unless you guys can suggest something.

It's a telephoto lens (70-300 f/4-5.6) and it has 1:2 macro, and macro is something that interests me a lot. If the price is right I may buy a cheaper filter for protection and a bit more expensive cool effect filter.

Anything you guys can suggest for such a lens? Thanks!
It sounds from your description as though you have the Sigma. If it is the APO DG Macro then the lens is a pretty capable lens. My personal feelings with respect to a filter is that at a minimum you should at least get the standard UV (or skylight) from Hoya which is a step up from the green label and has at least two layers of multicoating. This will reduce flare and increase light transmission, therefore (in theory) increase contrast, to the sensor. It is more slightly more expensive but you will get better results.

Since the lens is probably going to be used at the middle or long end most of the time you might want to consider one more step up to the HMC series if price is not too much of a problem.

Just take really good care of your filters as you expand your collection over the years to come. They are expensive items and the best of them can rival the price of some lenses.
You won't need the pro series of filters for this lens but the HMC or Standard are really worth considering.

Good luck,

Stephen
10-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

haha the green series? thats terrible lol 85% light transmission! The lens hood will protect against most things plus the lens front element is already hard coated.

10-10-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Any on B&H or Adorama you guys would suggest? Sigma4less.com also sells filters and sells the particular filter little_laker mentioned, I think.

A general brand one can be had for $15. Not too shabby. What do you guys think of Quantaray filters? There is a Ritz near my hometown and it would be very easy for me to get one fo those if they're just-as-good/better.
10-11-2007, 01:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi, personally I don't use them after I saw what some cheap ones did to my image quality, through them in the bin and never bothered again. But I understand that some people like them (can be good if taking pics of emus, seen an emu go straight through someones uv filter - not a prob for you though , anyway if you are going to use them buy the best you can afford, otherwise you have wasted money on a nice new lens

Phil
10-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!

I'll shop around and perhaps save up for a bit!

10-11-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hoya G-series filters are 99% transmission I think, I've never noticed any change in exposure values.
10-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #9

If you decide to go with a UV/protection filter, buy the best you can. My brand of choice is B+W. As previously stated, putting a cheap filter on an expensive lens is a false economy. Personally, the only filters I use now are circular polarizers, since that's the only filter whose effect can't be created in post processing.

Just my 2¢.

Last edited by Groundloop; 10-11-2007 at 03:27 PM. Reason: spelling
10-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Groundloop Quote
If you decide to go with a UV/protection filter, buy the best you can. My brand of choice is B+W. As previously stated, putting a cheap filter on an expensive lens is a false economy. Personally, the only filters I use now are circular polarizers, since that's the only filter whose effect can't be created in post processing.
I agree. Don't skimp on the filter. My filter of choice is also the B+W line. You need a UV if for nothing else than to protect the front of your nice lens. I also use the circular polarizers to blue up the sky and cut glare. Also on your list at some point should probably be a gradiated neutral density filter. I have one for those times when the sky isn't blue but almost white and messes with the exposure. Having that filter makes it easy to have the ground exposed as well as the sky, and nothing's blown out.

Of course, the polarizer and the gradiated NDs are mainly for landscape photography. If you're not into that, then ignore the post.