Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Ultrawide comparison - Suggestions?

Howdi Folks!

I've accumulated a bunch of wide and ultrawide lenses most of which will be be put on sale soon, but before that I'd like to do a comparison of how they perform (to be posted here).

Apart from being a general newbie, I am a total newbie to ultrawide just with some knowledge of the basics but very little experience.

So suggestions for what to shoot are most welcome and if a Melbourne-based Pentaxian wants to come along and bring his/her own wide lenses or just come along - all the better. I live in Mentone, so the bay is one option, but not sure if this is the best subject for tests.

Lenses I have:

1. Tamron 10-24mm
2. Sigma 12-24mm
3. Samyang 14mm UMC
4. Pentax DA15mm
6. Pentax FA 20-35mm
7. Pentax DA*16-50mm
8. Pentax DA 17-70mm

Would be interesting to see how the legends like 15/3.5 stack up against these. I have a film body and especially if someone gives me a hand, might try the 2,3 and 6 on film.

So what do you think?

02-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to repeat your call for assisitance in the social group for your area (if one exists):

Pentax 18-135mm | All Groups - PentaxForums.com
02-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Just a dumb idea here, but I have been thinking about making a LEGO test scene, using a single 40cm square lego base, and then smaller lego structures

this would let many people test if we all built the same thing
02-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Just a dumb idea here
I have sigma 8-16, the smc takumar 15mm f3.5 in m42/k-mount adapter, and DA12-24.
So how can you compare? just tell me how/what to do.

02-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I have sigma 8-16, the smc takumar 15mm f3.5 in m42/k-mount adapter, and DA12-24.
So how can you compare? just tell me how/what to do.
I was thinking of setting one of the square lego mats with a sequence of buildings lego men and lego cars etc, at varrying distances to make a 3D mini scene to shoot using flash, (eliminating lighting and shake) and then looking at how different lenses rendered the scene with the same field of view, i.e. move in for wider lenses out for longer lenses.

the only drawback is this would not evaluate other than close shots, not real stuff at infinity focus
02-01-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I shoot portrait and people mostly. When I shoot a new lens, I use to plan the shoot with:
- distance to subject,
- distance subject background, for bokeh
- different type of background/e.g. with light dots, for bokeh
- different aperture to map out safe sharp distance, prefer 3-4 inches, nose to ear.
Never done anything scientific mapping of lens properties, just shot a lot, more or less systematically in my mind. These shots dont have to involve people.
For WA or UWA, I need to find where in the center spot is safe for a face, also stop down to have a sharp enough background.

Last edited by hoanpham; 02-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.